Mandatory Snow Tires

GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Re: Mandatory Snow Tires

Post by GoStumpy »

I guess it boils down to, I'm sick and tired of sitting behind some moron in their all-season tires spinning trying to take off from a light while I can drive just fine with my winter tires.

I'm sick of seeing people slide into intersections because they're using all-season tires, while I can stop safely.

Then again, just because they make it mandatory doesn't mean any of that will change, so I guess I better stop caring !
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Woodenhead wrote:I just tap the brakes to test traction. (obv. not in traffic)

Mandatory snow tires is bollocks. Unless someone else buys them for me. My non-winter tires are safer for the ~85% of the time when there's no snow/ice on the road in the valley, anyway. All Seasons are safer than winters when roads are dry or merely wet - that's a fact. (check consumer reports for tire ratings if you don't believe me)

Can't say I've ever had an issue on the Coq in winter - went to Van & back in a winter storm last year on M+S, no sweat. kgcayenne gets it.

I'd rather find out gently on acceleration. Up to you.

Regarding : "All Seasons are safer than winters when roads are dry or merely wet", my understanding was that the composition of the winter tire is that it is softer in cold weather, so even if the pavement is dry but it's very cold, they provide better traction than all seasons, that are of a harder composition.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

my5cents wrote:Regarding : "All Seasons are safer than winters when roads are dry or merely wet", my understanding was that the composition of the winter tire is that it is softer in cold weather, so even if the pavement is dry but it's very cold, they provide better traction than all seasons, that are of a harder composition.

Quite right, true winter/snow tires are designed to work best from approximately 8C and colder, and conversely should be removed in spring, once temps remain consistently above that temperature, or you'll just shorten their useful lifespan.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Quite right, true winter/snow tires are designed to work best from approximately 8C and colder, and conversely should be removed in spring, once temps remain consistently above that temperature, or you'll just shorten their useful lifespan.

HOWEVER, it is illegal to drive to Armstrong in April with summer tires even if it's 30 degrees outside. Gotta love bureaucratic laws!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

my5cents wrote:Regarding : "All Seasons are safer than winters when roads are dry or merely wet", my understanding was that the composition of the winter tire is that it is softer in cold weather, so even if the pavement is dry but it's very cold, they provide better traction than all seasons, that are of a harder composition.

hmm well everything I read didn't really jive with that. (altho you did say "very cold" + another caveat or two, which would be a specific window...)

Regardless of all that tangential stuff, I'm not a fan of, as Glacier puts it, bureaucratic laws like this.
Your bias suits you.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

my5cents wrote:
Also, my new vehicle has an exterior thermometer, my older one does not. At first I thought it was a neat gadget, after a couple of years driving with the newer vehicle, I think exterior thermometers should mandatory. ("are those dark patches water or ice ?") Especially driving through areas where the elevation changes dramatically.

Careful using that ext thermo that way. The most dangerous time is not when the exterior temp is below zero, we know it's ice then and even cold ice provides some traction, it is when the temp has climbed a few degrees above zero and the asphalt is stll below zero because the ground is an excellent heat sink. The surface of the ice can have melted and you then have the worst possible senario for tire/road interface. Same principle that makes ice skates virtually frictionless......micro layer of water between the blade and ice.
As to 4x4 drivers.....it never ceases to amaze me how many drivers of these vehicles do not understand that their only advantage is in traction for motion and have zero advantage in braking. Might even be generally said that they are worse at braking because they tend to be heavier vehicles than their 2x counterparts.
To all you 4x4 owners that do not realize this......slow down! You have one brake that applies to each wheel just like every other vehicle on the road!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

twobits wrote:As to 4x4 drivers.....it never ceases to amaze me how many drivers of these vehicles do not understand that their only advantage is in traction for motion and have zero advantage in braking. Might even be generally said that they are worse at braking because they tend to be heavier vehicles than their 2x counterparts.
To all you 4x4 owners that do not realize this......slow down! You have one brake that applies to each wheel just like every other vehicle on the road!

But the 4x4 helps them get out of the ditch where they spend much of their time due to their driving habits! :127:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

As to 4x4 drivers.....it never ceases to amaze me how many drivers of these vehicles do not understand that their only advantage is in traction for motion and have zero advantage in braking. Might even be generally said that they are worse at braking because they tend to be heavier vehicles than their 2x counterparts.

NOT true a 4 wheel drive vehicle will actually brake better and safer than a 2 wheel drive.The fact that the engine back pressure when slowing puts force to all 4 wheels rather than 2 especially compared to RWD systems makes for a safer less slipery stop.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

ticat900 wrote:...a 4 wheel drive vehicle will actually brake better and safer than a 2 wheel drive.The fact that the engine back pressure when slowing puts force to all 4 wheels rather than 2 especially compared to RWD systems makes for a safer less slipery stop.

… only if the person behind the wheel was not driving like a tool prior to braking.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

ticat900 wrote:NOT true a 4 wheel drive vehicle will actually brake better and safer than a 2 wheel drive.The fact that the engine back pressure when slowing puts force to all 4 wheels rather than 2 especially compared to RWD systems makes for a safer less slipery stop.

What a crock !!!!
The only time that engine backpressure would come into play is in a standard transmission or if the driver downshifts an automatic and in both cases only if the brakes are not being engaged. In both cases the wheels will have a tendency to lock up when a lower gear is engaged and as we all know ABS was invented to counteract the negative effects of lock up and increase safe braking efficiency.
Braking far overpowers any backpressure from the engine , just ask any trucker with a Jac-brake.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

cv23 wrote:
What a crock !!!!
The only time that engine backpressure would come into play is in a standard transmission or if the driver downshifts an automatic and in both cases only if the brakes are not being engaged.

Sorry but my F350 when in tow mode will use back pressure from the motor to slow the truck when you take your foot off the accelerator. This could be used in the snow/ice to help slow the truck without using the brakes. I for one would not count that as a reason to drive faster though. Best to just slow down and drive according to road/weather conditions.

It is notable though that the times I have driven the Highway in poor conditions most of the vehicles in the ditch seem to be 4x4's. Wonder why? :127:
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Bsuds wrote: Sorry but my F350 when in tow mode will use back pressure from the motor to slow the truck when you take your foot off the accelerator. This could be used in the snow/ice to help slow the truck without using the brakes.

Ah, huge difference between slowing and braking.
The comment I was posting about read:
"NOT true a 4 wheel drive vehicle will actually brake better and safer than a 2 wheel drive."

The braking of a vehicle is no different in a 4wd than a 2wd
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

cv23 wrote:The braking of a vehicle is no different in a 4wd than a 2wd

I'd actually go so far as to say that, if driving on ice, it can be even more of an eye opener than a two wheel drive.

That's why I think so many of them are in the ditch.

Personally, I prefer a good old positrack rear end in a two wheel drive truck, to a four wheel drive.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Personally, I prefer a good old positrack rear end in a two wheel drive truck, to a four wheel drive.

Providing the 2wd truck has some weight in the back and we're talking about on the relative flat I'd agree.

Although there is something to be said for that extra set of wheels pulling you up a hill especially when those extra drive wheels have a 1000# of weight right over top of them.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

cv23 wrote:
The braking of a vehicle is no different in a 4wd than a 2wd

I agree

Return to “B.C.”