Mandatory Snow Tires

Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Re: Mandatory Snow Tires

Post by Busdriver1964 »

I see a lot of post saying`[quote ìf they only would have had snow tires on[/quote]
and safety is on everyone mind. Maybe we are approaching this from the wrong angle. I know my wifes car with basic tires will out acclerate , out turn, and out stop my truck which is equipped with the best snow tires I can by ( and believe me they do make a difference in snow)
So lets just ban all vehicles that don`t meet winter driving performance standards :dyinglaughing:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

How about just banning all "Drivers" who don't meet winter driving standards. That would make more sense as they cause more problems that the vehicle.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Bsuds wrote:How about just banning all "Drivers" who don't meet winter driving standards. That would make more sense as they cause more problems that the vehicle.

Exactly. It's not the equipment so much as it is driver ability.
Your bias suits you.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

Bsuds wrote:How about just banning all "Drivers" who don't meet winter driving standards. That would make more sense as they cause more problems that the vehicle.

Ya in the good old days when Duck lake would freeze over they could of taken everyone out for a driving test then you would get a 5 W on your licence
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Woodenhead wrote:Exactly. It's not the equipment so much as it is driver ability.

Agreed to a point but even the very best drivers in the world would have their hands full (and probably pants too) hitting black ice at night on the Coq doing 90 in a Kia with bald allseasons. Then again if you put a city driver who can't back out of their own driveway without hitting something behind the wheel of that Kia.......................
:skyisfalling:
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

mikett744 wrote:So lets just ban all vehicles that don`t meet winter driving performance standards

From what I've seen up on the Coq there seems to be whole lot of 4x4's with good tires upside down or in the ditch. Something about that little "4WD Engaged" light on the dash seems to make to many drivers think they're invincible, that is until they find out their vehicle is simultainiously uncontrollable and unstoppable
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

mikett744 wrote:

You are joking right ... If you can stop quicker with standard brakes over any ABS system......uh ... please tell tell us your obviously special procedure

ummm ABS brakes do not make you stop any quicker.
they are supposed to help reduce skidding.
and they do on the highway.
i have had ABS kick in on ice pulling into a parking spot and the momentary release of brakes (thats what ABS does) i personally dont care for.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

What they are designed for is to allow you to steer the vehicle with some control when braking hard. You can't do that when the wheels are locked. read the article in the link I posted. Some of you might learn something.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Some people simply aren't used to them (either how to utilize/deal with them properly or just the feeling) and therefore don't like them.

But it cannot be sanely argued that they are inferior to standard brakes in slippery conditions.
Your bias suits you.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

ummm ABS brakes do not make you stop any quicker.

Yes.............They do
As most people no make that all people can not adjust the braking requirement to the max usable on a slippery road with out locking up the tires.. That is why they release.... U get better resistance and braking action from a rolling tire than a locked up tire.. Go back to your physic 101 class :sunshine:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

mikett744 wrote: Yes.............They do
As most people no make that all people can not adjust the braking requirement to the max usable on a slippery road with out locking up the tires.. That is why they release.... U get better resistance and braking action from a rolling tire than a locked up tire.. Go back to your physic 101 class :sunshine:

Ah..........no they don't.......always. Numerous tests have shown that standard brake vehicles will stop in a shorter distance on snow/ice/loose gravel straight line stops over the same vehicle ABS equipped. The locked up vehicle tire builds a wedge of material in front of it aiding deceleration while a ABS wheel rolls over it. On a "clean" road, ABS will stop in a shorter distance.

What is being lost in this discussion is that there is more to control of a vehicle than breaking distances and the ability to maintain steering contol trumps being able to stop 3 ft shorter. ABS gets the nod in all conditions because it maintains superior steering control allowing the driver at least the opportunity to steer away from the hazard rather than slide uncontrollably into it. I think we would all prefer our vehicles kinetic energy to be disipated over seconds by our brakes rather than in a milisecond of impact. Physics gives us those two options.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

Ok I will concede Under ideal conditions in a testing situation on the 3rd try u mayl out stop an ABS system.. First try a little to hard second try ohhh to soft third attempt ahhh just right.... Now let consider the the real world when u only get one chance to avoid that car/kid/intersection I can guarantee under normal winter driving condition ABS will 99% of the time out perform standard brakes with 99.9% of drivers

For those of u who dont like ABS because they lock up or think u can perform better.. . If are so good to regulate your brake application to the max for the road conditions then you are great Well If u are that good the ABS should never kick in. but why do I keep hearing about people who dont like it because the ABS releases or they think they can beat it......... Maybe you are not as good as you think and or you had to hit the brakes in a panic :skyisfalling: and the ABS did what it was supposed to.. save your ASSSSSSSSSSSSS
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

The locked up vehicle tire builds a wedge of material in front of it aiding deceleration

I read this as well.... All I can say is BS One .. when conditions are really bad there is no residual material to build up.. might be a very rare occurrence when this would come into play.

I am sure we could create scenarios for all situations but we have to look at the majority of our driving situations and driving habits
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Amen
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

cv23 wrote:From what I've seen up on the Coq there seems to be whole lot of 4x4's with good tires upside down or in the ditch. Something about that little "4WD Engaged" light on the dash seems to make to many drivers think they're invincible, that is until they find out their vehicle is simultainiously uncontrollable and unstoppable

I've passed lots of those vehicles, pulled a few out of the ditch and bank too with my own 4*4, but have never noticed tire condition when driving by! The driver and family of the black Durango at the Coq Summit yesterday were very appreciative.

Your point is well taken though, many people assume that those SUVs and pick ups in 4*4 are invincible. They don't seem to realise that having a higher centre of gravity does not help and that should the vehicle start to break loose it becomes more of a missile given it's mass than a regular car. Just means they get buried deeper in the snowbank, lol.

Return to “B.C.”