Re: Mandatory Snow Tires

Post by Busdriver1964 »

Another money grab by the tire company's
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

For sure, money-grabbing for yours and my safety :127:

Unfortunately we don't get a full 3 months of snow and below-freezing to warrant mandatory snow tires at the Valley bottom. As it is, if the weather is too bad and you don't have snow tires, you stay home. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't drive on a snowing freezing morning without snow tires.

If you travel the mountain passes in the winter, snow tires are mandatory. Should be common sense, but people still think they can get over the mountain passes in the winter just because their tire has a "M+S" logo :127: :127: :137:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GoStumpy wrote:If you travel the mountain passes in the winter, snow tires are mandatory.

No they aren't. You can carry chains instead if you want. Personally, I go with "all weather" tires because they have the snowflake and you can drive them in the summer. Saves changing the tires over every year (though a set a of "all weather" tires is $650 verses a set of winters that cost $500).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

GoStumpy wrote:If you travel the mountain passes in the winter, snow tires are mandatory. Should be common sense, but people still think they can get over the mountain passes in the winter just because their tire has a "M+S" logo :127: :127: :137:

Tires with the M+S logo ARE legal(aka...considered a winter tire) in "winter tire or carry chain" areas. Just be smart about driving.....if you drive mountain passes all the time, you SHOULD carry chains regardless of the tires you have installed on your vehicle.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

M+S won't save you.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

GoStumpy wrote:M+S won't save you.

The incremental gain in traction of a winter over an MS is not worth it for 99% of drivers in this corner of the world. Me thinks you must be in the tire business to poo poo this reality
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Agreed. A dedicated winter tire with the mountain snowflake is required for proper vehicle control.

When you're sliding helplessly toward oncoming traffic, possibly losing your life or someone else's, that investment in the proper tires seems very small.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

very correct it will not.
in fact no tire will save you.
proper driving with the speed always being considered to the road conditions is the only thing that will save you.
its amazing how the minute you put some fools into a 4x4 or give them great tires they feel they can drive twice as fast.
defensive driving is the only real answer.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

[quote]very correct it will not.
in fact no tire will save you.
proper driving with the speed always being considered to the road conditions is the only thing that will save you.
its amazing how the minute you put some fools into a 4x4 or give them great tires they feel they can drive twice as fast.
defensive driving is the only real answer.

Totally Agree
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

When a kid runs onto the street playing in the snow you will be glad you have snow tires on.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

[quote="GoStumpy"]For sure, money-grabbing for yours and my safety :127:

Ok I dont think any one can dispute that GOOD snow tires perform better on snow and ice than other tires. Can we also agree that good all season perform better on on road conditions. I faithfully put on my Nokians every winter.They are amazing in the snow.

The question is do you want the best tire for 90% of your driving condition and adjust your driving habit for the other 10 % or should we do it the other way.. The best tire for the majority of my driving sounds like it may be the safest way to go
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Winter tires, while better than A/S, only go so far. Winter driving is like dealing with a wild animal, easy does it, and make no sudden moves.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

GoStumpy wrote:When a kid runs onto the street playing in the snow you will be glad you have snow tires on.

What if it is raining and you have snow tires on. Maybe just like INDY 500 we should change tires any time the conditions change. Or maybe we should have one type of tire on each wheel. then we would be safe..

I would rather see someone with good quality all season tires driving properly for the conditions then some Idiot with cheap snow tires thinking they are Ok to drive in all condition
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

The above arguments for all season tires all seem to be based on the presumption that all season tire drivers drive more carefully than those with winters.
That would most likely be an invalid assumption. At the very least, there is no basis for that claim.

A good driver on winters will be safer than a good driver on AS. Same with a bad driver. The rubber formulation is slightly different to allow for a softer tire at cold temperatures for winters compared to a harder tire at lower temps for all AS's. The claim that they are the same is ludicrous.
You and 71 others Like this post
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

LANDM wrote:The above arguments for all season tires all seem to be based on the presumption that all season tire drivers drive more carefully than those with winters.
That would most likely be an invalid assumption. At the very least, there is no basis for that claim.

A good driver on winters will be safer than a good driver on AS. Same with a bad driver. The rubber formulation is slightly different to allow for a softer tire at cold temperatures for winters compared to a harder tire at lower temps for all AS's. The claim that they are the same is ludicrous.

No ....I already stated that quality snow tires are better in the snow.
Rain tires will be better in the rain and so on. In the last week I have been driving with rain/all season tires and you have been driving with snow tires . Considering the same driving habits and staying in the valley which would be safer?
Last edited by Busdriver1964 on Dec 5th, 2012, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “B.C.”