Mandatory Snow Tires

twobits
Guru

Re: Mandatory Snow Tires

Post by twobits »

mikett744 wrote:I read this as well.... All I can say is BS One .. when conditions are really bad there is no residual material to build up.. might be a very rare occurrence when this would come into play.

Mike, I'm sorry I posted that information. I hadn't realized that your knowledge was superior to that of the engineers that design brakes and tires. Silly me.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

[/quote]

Mike, I'm sorry I posted that information. I hadn't realized that your knowledge was superior to that of the engineers that design brakes and tires. Silly me.[/quote]

Hey I conceded on a test track non ABS may win.

Go ahead pull the fuse on your ABS system. Drive safe this winter
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

My newish truck has pretty good ABS. The wifes newish cars' ABS is also functional. (Hate the tractional control on that though. The principal there is that the motor revs down when the tires don't bite to the point that you are simply "stuck" instead of digging down to find traction)

My old '91 chev 3/4 ton had ABS that was truly scary as where the ABS on the '90 Sunfire. I mean to say that if you found yourself on wet ice the brakes simply went "brr/grmphh" and simply did not engage.

No point to this post other than the technology IS improving and the earlier incarnations of ABS where .. ermm.. crap.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

No point to this post other than the technology IS improving and the earlier incarnations of ABS where .. ermm.. crap

Agree totally but i think anything newer that say 2005 is hard to beat
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I remember 10-15 years ago rear-only ABS was scary... Older ABS was bad, which is probably where most of the prejudice towards them stems from.

They've gotten a lot better lately though!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Found a good example video on youtube, there's quite a few actually

Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I wonder how my old 1951 Oldsmobile would stack up against these test vehicles. 3,700 lbs propelled by a Rocket" v-8 (135 hp) with a two speed Hydra-Matic and drum brakes that worked sometimes, and a full slip rear end.

Maybe if folks learned winter driving in a pig like that we wouldn't need mandatory winter tires. You had to do everything gently, gently, and keep your speed down because it took a while to stop. Modern vehicles are all so much better, especially front wheel drive and AWD, that it boggles my mind that folks can't keep them on the road.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
rutland1
Board Meister

Post by rutland1 »

Well today its all about me, and I"m in a hurry, and I dont need winter tires cause I"m only driving in town.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

hobbyguy wrote:I wonder how my old 1951 Oldsmobile would stack up against these test vehicles. 3,700 lbs propelled by a Rocket" v-8 (135 hp) with a two speed Hydra-Matic and drum brakes that worked sometimes, and a full slip rear end.

Maybe if folks learned winter driving in a pig like that we wouldn't need mandatory winter tires. You had to do everything gently, gently, and keep your speed down because it took a while to stop. Modern vehicles are all so much better, especially front wheel drive and AWD, that it boggles my mind that folks can't keep them on the road.

How did they ever get buy back then without winter tires?? Hmm, I just don't get it!

My first pair of ALL SEASONS ( No Snow Flake ) by Good Year tire, I actually intentionally drove onto the snow mobile trail and brought my 1964 Pontiac up to 30 miles a hour and drove back onto the highway.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Typically, you threw a couple of re-flap "snows" on the back and crossed your fingers a lot. I guess that's why they came equipped with the massive chrome bumpers.

For those that haven't had the joy of driving the old bombers like my Oldsmobile, you missed on some fun but have been a lot safer. Mine was bright red with tons of chrome, and when I bought it ($50 - yup $50 for a fully functioning used car) the previous owner had equipped it with one of those fuzzy steering wheel covers in matching red. It was the only car I've ever owned that could get its front wheels off the ground in a sort-of-wheelie. The suspension was so "cushy" that with the two speed automatic, and all the low end torque from the "Rocket" V-8, that by pumping the gas pedal in harmony with the wallowing suspension, I could get the front wheels about a foot off the ground. Thus it got a well desrved nickname - "The Fuzzy Bedspring", and that described the driving experience really well.

I did get fed up with not being able to get to university in the winter snow, and so when it was really bad I'd ride my bush bike. Full knobbies on it, and I hand-studded each knob. Good steel-toed boots for stabilizers, and you'd go anywhere, but heaven help you if you dropped it and a spinning wheel contacted you.

Much rather do our winter driving in my wife's Subaru though.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Ken7 wrote:How did they ever get buy back then without winter tires?? Hmm, I just don't get it!

haha pretty much
Your bias suits you.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Roads were never cleared like they are today. So you learned how to drive and if you didn't you learned how to shovel. That lesson soon taught you how to drive.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Much rather do our winter driving in my wife's Subaru though.

Had our 2011 Subie Forester Touring for a year now. What a honey of a vehicle!!
Chill
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

flamingfingers wrote:
Had our 2011 Subie Forester Touring for a year now. What a honey of a vehicle!!

I've often thought of buying a Subaru. My only concern has been does it have enough power and torque. When climbing Peachland to Pennask summit, could it maintain a constant cruise set speed of say 130 without constantly kicking down a gear?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 17th, 2015, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”