Mandatory Snow Tires

waffledad

Mandatory Snow Tires

Post by waffledad »

I don't drive in the mountains so I don't bother in getting snow tires put on. I find that all season tires (driving appropriately of course) work just fine around town. If I have to make a trip via the mountains, I would use chains anyways.

If you have chains on, why should you have to get snow tires. I guess what I am asking is, does anyone know if you use chains, does this snow tire rule apply to you?

If you don't use chains, then I completely agree that you should have to get snow tires on to go through the mountains as they do make a difference in stopping and going up hills. Rubber actually has very good grip on ice, it's the friction that creates a film of water between the ice and tire that causes a "skating" to occur, much like how ice skates allow us to glide on the ice. This is why pumping the brakes is so much more affective as well.
...and this little piggy went wee wee wee all the way home....
MooCow

Re: Mandatory Snow Tires

Post by MooCow »

I'm guessing that you've never used chains....
MooCow
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Is there a list or map of which highways (or parts of) this applies?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

I'll tell you one thing it is sure hard to find information on the new law. There is 250 about signs over the Provence but it's BC so I can't find no map.. But who cares I also can't find the actual LAW ! This is a poor way to start such a vital project. This all started because of rental vehicles, and that accident where all those kids got killed back east. You only need them as far as I can tell where it's marked on the highway or carry chains. So no you don't need them in Kelowna or Vancouver for that matter only where it is marked on the highways. I still can't find the LAW though. Good start to a new winter with no information that could effect someone. Even the story here. NO links ! And they call this a news site.

I eventually found it. I found before you need at least 3.5mm of tread and the British Columbia Winter Tire Law is here:

Safety equipment

208 (1) For the purpose of this section, "winter tire" means a tire that is

(a) advertised or represented by its manufacturer or a person in the business of selling tires to be a tire intended principally for winter use, and that provides, or is designed to provide, adequate traction in snow or mud; and

(b) in the condition respecting tread wear and other particulars the regulations prescribe.

(2) The Minister of Transportation and Highways may, by public notice or by placing signs, prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with chains, winter tires or sanding devices, or a combination of these the minister considers adequate and necessary in view of prevailing road conditions.

(3) For the purposes of a prosecution under this section, the onus is on the defendant to prove that a tire alleged not to be a winter tire is in fact a winter tire.

From the BC Motor Vehicle Act which is here:

http://tinyurl.com/ykhlsve
waffledad

Post by waffledad »

Thanks SpaceAddict.

The way I understand this then is all season tires that say mud and snow are then good enough as long as they have good tread and I can throw the cable chains on if I want to go anywhere over a mountain pass that requires so due to this line using the word 'or':

or is designed to provide, adequate traction in snow or mud; and
...and this little piggy went wee wee wee all the way home....
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Exactly that is the way I read it to. I have off road tires on my 4 wheel drive so I can't think how possible winter tires could be better than that. I have Winter tires on a different truck and they are not as good as the off road tires so it would be a waste of time to change them. And there Michelin and I was told they're the best winter tires made when I got them. There not as good as the off road tires. They suck on black ice. My all seasons where better on black ice.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

SpaceAddict wrote:Exactly that is the way I read it to. I have off road tires on my 4 wheel drive so I can't think how possible winter tires could be better than that. I have Winter tires on a different truck and they are not as good as the off road tires so it would be a waste of time to change them. And there Michelin and I was told they're the best winter tires made when I got them. There not as good as the off road tires. They suck on black ice. My all seasons where better on black ice.

Depends on the tire's rubber compound as much as the tread pattern. Most designated 'offroad' tires (MT or Mud Terrain) have large lugs for tread that basically become hockey pucks on hard packed snow or ice. Now if you are offroad in winter, and you air down (let most of the air out of your tires so they become soft) your offroad tires, you will get better traction than a conventional snow tires. That's due to the high flotation most MT tires offer as well as the air pressure being low and allowing the tire to flatten out and create a larger footprint. The large lugs now become much like a sand paddle and help to propel you through the snow. If you can imagine, those same tires on the hard pack of snow covered roads or ice, then they become more of a danger than anything. The rubber compounds are not designed to work (flex and stick) in sub zero temperatures. A softer rubber in summer does not equate to a softer rubber in winter. Some MT tires (offroad) have softer rubber compounds for crawling over boulders and roots etc., but if the compounds are not designed to work in the cold, they generally get hard when the temperatures drop.

I run large tires on my truck and could not find a suitable winter designated tire, so I went with a good all weather tire. It's not the best, but I plan to get them siped (cut small slits in the tire tread) to make them better for snow and ice.

I've driven the Okanagan roads and highways as well as back country in winter with MT tires. I've run BFG (T/A KO)MT's, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, and Yokohama MT's. I've also run some other less popular brand versions of MT tires in winter. Unless I was offroad in deep snow, they sucked worse than any other tire I've ever driven. Hockey pucks. But get them into some deep stuff and air em down and you can crawl through amazing amounts of snow.

So, this winter my spouse's vehicle will be running winters with 4x4. Her vehicle will be the road tripper while mine will be left in the driveway for those trips. I completely trust the tires I have on my truck to do the job, but since they do not have the proper stamp, I'll avoid the hassle of explaining (to a cop) the siping and lack of tire options available to me.

So, not sure what you have for an offroad tire SpaceAddict, but you may be surprised to feel the difference were you to switch to a better suited winter tire.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

You may be correct. I went out there now in the light and looked at them. Um I'm going to go down to Kal tire and see what they have for winters.
ralphrob
Board Meister

Post by ralphrob »

Last time I installed All WEATHER tyres at KalTire. They assured me I no longer need snow tyres.

I am reliably informed that the law is still the same and winter tyres OR chains are required for mountains where signed. I think the Castanet article seems to be misleading. If it is not then they should point us to the announcement. I don't believe the BC Government would come out with new rules without giving due notice (usually 12 months)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ralphrob wrote:Last time I installed All WEATHER tyres at KalTire. They assured me I no longer need snow tyres.

If they have the Snowflake & Mountain emblem on them then they are considered ok for winter driving.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2003/07/1 ... r-plus.htm
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Graham Adder wrote:
SpaceAddict wrote:Exactly that is the way I read it to. I have off road tires on my 4 wheel drive so I can't think how possible winter tires could be better than that. I have Winter tires on a different truck and they are not as good as the off road tires so it would be a waste of time to change them. And there Michelin and I was told they're the best winter tires made when I got them. There not as good as the off road tires. They suck on black ice. My all seasons where better on black ice.

Depends on the tire's rubber compound as much as the tread pattern. Most designated 'offroad' tires (MT or Mud Terrain) have large lugs for tread that basically become hockey pucks on hard packed snow or ice. Now if you are offroad in winter, and you air down (let most of the air out of your tires so they become soft) your offroad tires, you will get better traction than a conventional snow tires. That's due to the high flotation most MT tires offer as well as the air pressure being low and allowing the tire to flatten out and create a larger footprint. The large lugs now become much like a sand paddle and help to propel you through the snow. If you can imagine, those same tires on the hard pack of snow covered roads or ice, then they become more of a danger than anything. The rubber compounds are not designed to work (flex and stick) in sub zero temperatures. A softer rubber in summer does not equate to a softer rubber in winter. Some MT tires (offroad) have softer rubber compounds for crawling over boulders and roots etc., but if the compounds are not designed to work in the cold, they generally get hard when the temperatures drop.

I run large tires on my truck and could not find a suitable winter designated tire, so I went with a good all weather tire. It's not the best, but I plan to get them siped (cut small slits in the tire tread) to make them better for snow and ice.

I've driven the Okanagan roads and highways as well as back country in winter with MT tires. I've run BFG (T/A KO)MT's, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, and Yokohama MT's. I've also run some other less popular brand versions of MT tires in winter. Unless I was offroad in deep snow, they sucked worse than any other tire I've ever driven. Hockey pucks. But get them into some deep stuff and air em down and you can crawl through amazing amounts of snow.

So, this winter my spouse's vehicle will be running winters with 4x4. Her vehicle will be the road tripper while mine will be left in the driveway for those trips. I completely trust the tires I have on my truck to do the job, but since they do not have the proper stamp, I'll avoid the hassle of explaining (to a cop) the siping and lack of tire options available to me.

So, not sure what you have for an offroad tire SpaceAddict, but you may be surprised to feel the difference were you to switch to a better suited winter tire.

Isn't siping what they used to call "tractionizing"?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

ralphrob wrote:I don't believe the BC Government would come out with new rules without giving due notice (usually 12 months)

Trusting, aren't you?

This Campbell government has managed to destroy ALL trust I've ever had in governments of any kind.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

So when a major tire corp. imports millions of $$$ worth of tires into canada and they meet the DOT's demands (specifations) for "ALLSEASON" and/or Mud/snow tire, that DOT themselves legislated as requirements ,how can they not accept their own laws.
So an All season tire is not that anymore and a Mud/snow tire is not legal when its winter time with snow on the road.
Maybe its a step in the right direction, but one must question their ability to inforce this without looking at there own bidding laws.
Also one can see why they are doing it. 3 million vehicles at $800 for winter tires X GST and PST = $$$$$, not to mention ICBC being able to decline thousands of claims.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

zim wrote:... not to mention ICBC being able to decline thousands of claims.

Bingo!!!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

kccayenne wrote:Is there a list or map of which highways (or parts of) this applies?

There is not list online that I know of, but it is easy to figure out which portions of highway require them. Any low elevation highway does not require winter tires including 97 in the Okanagan. But, you require them for any highways that go through higher summits , passes, or places that tend to get a lot of snow. If you are wondering about a specific highway, ask, and I will tell.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”