Mandatory Snow Tires

GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Re: Mandatory Snow Tires

Post by GoStumpy »

That's the thing. The argument against mandatory snow tires revolves around defensive driving, yet that is completely irrelevant. There are bad drivers with all types of tires, there are overconfident winter tire drivers, overconfident all-season drivers, there are clueless drivers with both types, etc...

The simple fact remains, snow tires are safer in winter and CAN SAVE LIVES. Nobody intends to get into an accident. And someone with snow tires below freezing has a far greater chance to avoid an accident!!

-edit-

In addition, I hate to think that me having snow tires and being able to stop for a yellow/red light, and you behind me with all-seasons cannot stop in time and plow into me. All-seasons take ~20-30% longer distance to stop, studies show 9.5m (30 feet) longer from 50km/h. That's quite a bit.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Well, considering I went up to big white, and assuming driving habits equal and vehicles equal, the snow tired vehicle would be.

If you are using the warm, clear, or rainy weather and no snow in the valley bottom to be the situation, then it wouldn't matter a whole bunch would it? However, that's not my life and it is a time of year when anything can happen so, in general, snow tires are going to be safer. BTW, my comments weren't directed solely at you. There are many just-as-safe comments that popped up and I was directing to them all.
You and 71 others Like this post
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

Ok considering all driver are equal. Lets take that out of the muck. Are you saying snow tires perform better in dry/wet conditions than tire designed for that.. Where has 95% of your driving been and what have the condition been.

Hey I have snow tire that perform great in most conditions.. If you make it so everyone has to buy 300$ tires I will :dyinglaughing: invest in the company
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Honestly, if a person is merely going from home to the grocery store, snow tires aren't necessary.

However.

If you drive to work, and you will drive to work on that morning that got 4" of snow on the valley bottom, you should have winter tires. If you ever plan to drive to Penticton, Vernon, or further in the winter, you should have winter tires.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

mikett744 wrote:Ok considering all driver are equal. Lets take that out of the muck. Are you saying snow tires perform better in dry/wet conditions than tire designed for that.. Where has 95% of your driving been and what have the condition been.

Hey I have snow tire that perform great in most conditions.. If you make it so everyone has to buy 300$ tires I will :dyinglaughing: invest in the company

Then you probably should. Quebec has mandatory winter tires for a lot of roads, I wouldn't be surprised if they made winter tires mandatory for ALL mountain passes between Oct 1 and April 30.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

Then you probably should. Quebec has mandatory winter tires for a lot of roads, I wouldn't be surprised if they made winter tires mandatory for ALL mountain passes between Oct 1 and April 30.

I believe this is already in place in BC. Use good winter tire or carry chains.

Does Quebec not have that option?

And just to add what a ridiculous statement "carry chains" .. That sure make you safe.. Never says when or if you have to put them on
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

mikett744 wrote:That sure make you safe.. Never says when or if you have to put them on

Hah, I agree... quite often nobody will put them on unless there is a police officer there telling you that you cannot continue unless you put them on.. .which happens once or twice a year on the coquihalla :skyisfalling:
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

Exactly and the day it is bad enough that I have to put on chains.... Better to stay or or go back home
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

mikett744 wrote:Ok considering all driver are equal. Lets take that out of the muck. Are you saying snow tires perform better in dry/wet conditions than tire designed for that.. Where has 95% of your driving been and what have the condition been.

Nope, not saying that at all. Just saying that in the winter, when things get crappy, snow tires perform better all else being equal. And I do not support any claim that says all season drivers are more careful than snow tire drivers.

And, as someone mentioned already, Quebec has that so get that investment in!

In Quebec since 2008, the Highway Safety Code provides for the following:

“Between December 15 to March 15, the owner of a taxi or passenger vehicle registered in Québec may not put the vehicle into operation unless it is equipped with tires specifically designed for winter driving, in compliance with the standards prescribed by government regulation. The prohibition also applies to any person renting out passenger vehicles not equipped with that type of tires.”
You and 71 others Like this post
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

The prohibition also applies to any person renting out passenger vehicles not equipped with that type of tires.”

I like that rule as I have rented cars in Vancouver to drive to kelowna and back with just all seasons on it..

When the weather turned bad on the Coq I made them buy chains (to comply with ours laws) for me so I could get back to Vancouver.. They were not happy about it
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

Hah, I agree... quite often nobody will put them on unless there is a police officer there telling you that you cannot continue unless you put them on.. .which happens once or twice a year on the coquihalla [/quote]

Maybe like today.. Looks ugly up there
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

When I drive in questionable conditions, not the serious "I might get stuck type", but slippery, slush snow, etc. If I'm driving a 4X4 I intentionally DON'T put the vehicle in 4 wheel drive. If I accelerate and the back end slips (and I mean just barely) I know how bad the conditions are and modify my driving and adjust my level of caution accordingly.

I see so many drivers of 4X4's over driving for conditions, and I assume that they are likely doing this because when they accelerate fairly hard, they don't slip out, because of the 4 wheel drive. Then when the need to stop or make some type of maneuver, they completely lose control all because they didn't feel the actual lack of traction earlier.

Thoughts ?

If you’ve ever seen the “tow in bay” (totals and non drivable) at an ICBC claim centre in the winter you’d see 80%+ 4X4’s.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

I intentionally DON'T put the vehicle in 4 wheel drive

Agree totally I do the same

The problem is that many car are all wheel drive with no option to disengage it
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

mikett744 wrote:Agree totally I do the same

The problem is that many car are all wheel drive with no option to disengage it

Yes, that's another concern of mine. When I drive such a vehicle in questionable conditions, I have to assume that the conditions are slippery.

Also, my new vehicle has an exterior thermometer, my older one does not. At first I thought it was a neat gadget, after a couple of years driving with the newer vehicle, I think exterior thermometers should mandatory. ("are those dark patches water or ice ?") Especially driving through areas where the elevation changes dramatically.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I just tap the brakes to test traction. (obv. not in traffic)

Mandatory snow tires is bollocks. Unless someone else buys them for me. My non-winter tires are safer for the ~85% of the time when there's no snow/ice on the road in the valley, anyway. All Seasons are safer than winters when roads are dry or merely wet - that's a fact. (check consumer reports for tire ratings if you don't believe me)

Can't say I've ever had an issue on the Coq in winter - went to Van & back in a winter storm last year on M+S, no sweat. kgcayenne gets it.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “B.C.”