No money to address domestic violence

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

No money to address domestic violence

Post by steven lloyd »

No money to address domestic violence: B.C. official
Updated: Mon Dec. 14 2009 15:03:48

The Canadian Press

A coroner's inquest into the murder-suicide of a Victoria family resumed Monday with a warning from a B.C. justice official that there is no funding for sweeping changes to the system in place when Peter Lee killed his family.

Lee was on bail facing a domestic assault-type charge when he killed his six-year-old son, Christian, his wife and his in-laws, before killing himself in September 2007.

Robert Gillen, B.C.'s assistant deputy attorney general, said in his testimony at the inquest that the murders could spur changes in how the province deals with domestic violence.

But Gillen said most changes require more money, and there is not a lot of extra money available.
He suggested the three-man, two-woman jury make recommendations at the conclusion of the inquest that can be built into the current legal system without breaking the budget.

"There's no point pretending we're using the Cadillac when we're lucky to get the used Ford," said Gillen.

It's okay though. We're "saving" money all over the place.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: No money to address domestic violence

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Tragic as such events are I fail to see how any amount of money spent would guarantee future prevention.

Unless maybe they propose hiring a herd of psychics that can predict precisely who is about to snap and when.

There will always be whackos in the world and if they are driven enough they will also always circumvent any steps taken to thwart them.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Done! wrote:Tragic as such events are I fail to see how any amount of money spent would guarantee future prevention.

The research done to date shows that domestic violence Courts have a significant impact on recidivism. I have to go to work, but I'm sure this is something that can be googled.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Another victim of the Olympics.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
NoComply
Board Meister

Post by NoComply »

One half the police budget for the Olympics, the other half to the green team busting pot. Legalize and you could have tons of money freed up for anything. Think about it, no court costs, no jail sentences, no helicopters, undercover police officers, man that money could easily be better spent.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

One of the recommendations from the coroner's inquest is this one:

to institute family-relationship and domestic-violence-education programs for students in Kindergarten to Grade 12.

The Ministry responds:

Similar relationship programs already exist for B.C. students, noted an Education Ministry statement, pointing to courses in health and career education, mandatory for students from Kindergarten to Grade 9.

It seems that every time there is a tragedy such as this one someone suggests that the school system needs to do more to help prevent tragedies in the future. And then the kids struggle with literacy and numeracy and we wonder why. There is only so much time in the day and the school system can't continue to spread itself thinner and thinner.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

More needs to be done.

Domestic violence isn't someone else's problem behind closed doors, it's a problem that impacts everyone, which means its a problem that belongs to all of us---except we don't know how to fix it or make it go away.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I can tell you that on the police side of things, this case spurred colossal changes the way Domestic Violence cases are investigated and handled. But when the accused in serious VIR (Violence in Relationships) cases is allowed to walk out of court with nothing more than a strongly-worded piece of paper in their hand, the inevitable is bound to occur.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Close to home this time :(

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-87102-33-.htm#87102

Murder victim had ties to Okanagan
by Wayne Moore - Story: 87102
Feb 8, 2013 / 11:39 am

Police in Abbotsford have now identified the woman found murdered in her home Wednesday.

Leanne Friesen, 40, who grew up in Peachland, was found dead in her garage about 7:30 that evening.

Police say she had suffered a gunshot wound to the head.

Earlier that evening, police were asked to go to the home in the 34800 block of Cassiar Court in Abbotsford to check on Friesen's well-being.

It was at that time when police came upon her body.

Friesen's 40-year-old estranged husband Jeffrey Friesen was charged Thursday with 2nd degree murder.

He is being held in custody pending his first court appearance next Tuesday.

A tribute page for Leanne Friesen has been set up on Facebook.

Shane Melenko, a childhood friend of Friesen's set up the page and remembered her:

I was lucky enough to meet Leanne so very long ago. I remember driving to Peachland with my best friend Tyler and always having a great time with both Leanne and Tammy. Being 16 and carefree with no worries in life. She always had a smile that would brighten your day. Over the years we always seemed to reconnect and have lots of laughs. Hanging out at the mall or getting together for a drink. As time went on we would stay in touch and get caught up on all the things that had happened. Even though years would pass, it would seem like only days. Some 25 years had passed and we would keep in touch online and catch an occasional concert or group get together. I can honestly say that some of my best memories in my teenage years included her and her sister. Some great memories that I will cherish and hold onto forever.
I haven't failed until I quit.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

KL3-Something wrote:I can tell you that on the police side of things, this case spurred colossal changes the way Domestic Violence cases are investigated and handled. But when the accused in serious VIR (Violence in Relationships) cases is allowed to walk out of court with nothing more than a strongly-worded piece of paper in their hand, the inevitable is bound to occur.

Really in the grand scheme of things "accused" sure as heck isn't the be all end all of it, or are you suggesting that all accusations are with merit?

Has it dawned on you that some might well have no qualms about playing the system, such as it stands?

What do you suggest, that where an accusation which may well be borne out of vengeance, the accused be incarcerated and the key thrown away, while the real problem remains free?

It's a far more difficult problem than you make it sound, certainly not as cut and dried as you portray.

Given that some of those responsible for such heinous acts, are even police officers, who in order to qualify for their positions had to undergo far closer scrutiny than most average citizens, yet still weren't identified as a potential problem, I'm of the mind that when such issues arise, perhaps one avenue to consider is mandatory psychological assessment of both parties involved, by qualified professionals, who might possibly be able to determine the source of the problem more accurately, then allowing a judge to determine appropriate measures based on that, combined with whatever other evidence there may be.

BTW don't know how long you've been on the force, but colossal changes where implemented years back, when some nut case killed about 10 people in a domestic violence case in Vernon.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Lone wolf you are going off topic (and you must be my brother, because your post is exactly what he would say). Yes, there can be false allegations made HOWEVER this thread is not about that or a couple who drink and get mouthy with each other. Many of the "accused" have previous criminal records and reports for domestic and other assaults. They are like powder kegs. They may be well-known to RCMP and child protection because they have been involved in such assaults involving several partners over a period of time.
It is not reasonable to expect that the alleged victims can be protected by a judge's stern reprimand and a list of conditions.
While psychological testing and the like can be most helpful, it isn't available immediately. And we already know a lot about the dynamics of abuse.Some cases are short-term and the accused gets over his/her emotional distress and the victim is no longer at risk. In other cases the accused will/can not stop. One reason domestic-violence victims stay with abusers is because it is SAFER than leaving them!

Oh and Lone wolf, you really must be my brother because you are getting to be as old and forgetful and I am...it was 20 years ago when domestic violence in Vernon resulted in the death of several family members.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Inever mind.....it is what it is...
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Tonight I'm lighting a candle for someone who tried, but didn't get the help she needed in time.

I'd rather see false accusations than attend my friend's funeral.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

kgcayenne wrote:Tonight I'm lighting a candle for someone who tried, but didn't get the help she needed in time.

I'd rather see false accusations than attend my friend's funeral.

Amen dear.
Chill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Behind a significant percentage of women who become involved in and remain in abusive relationships is an early life of exposure to childhood conditioning in an abusive situation where inter and intra personal respect was not part of the parenting equation. Either that or a childhood of exposure to a family lifestyle built on systemic gender inequality. Unless disclosure and treatment aimed at the cause of the sense of worthlessness and helplessness is forthcoming change is intermittent and piecemeal at best. I have considerable faith in women's shelters, both as a place of immediate refuge and an intermittent contact point for the victim who is building up courage to leave the relationship. That assessment is based on repetitious person knowledge of the dynamics of abuse and what is required to break the cycle.

Return to “B.C.”