ICBC and new drivers should work together

Otter
Board Meister

Re: ICBC

Post by Otter »

A few years ago our car (parked in our apartment's parking garage was totaled by one of our neighbors who was backing out of his space and hit the gas instead of the brake. His car suffered slight cosmetic (ie: back bumper) damage which his insurance paid for. We, on the other hand, were treated like criminals, given the run-around by both ICBC and our private insurance for weeks before we finally received a settlement that was only a few hundred dollars.

Both ICBC and the private insurance acted like it was our fault (neither of us were anywhere near the car when it was hit --- I was at work for one). We were told that the insurance wouldn't be paid out until we found another car, but because the settlement was so small, it took us a while to find a car we felt comfortable with and had to rent a car to go around to look at cars to boot. We finally "settled" for a car that wasn't what we wanted and far more than what the settlement was and had some issues we had to get fixed on our own dime.

We changed to a different private insurer after that.

We've lost our faith in both ICBC and all private insurers, but because you have to have insurance in order to drive your car, one has no choice but to pay through the nose and hope for the best while always aware that you must expect the worse from whatever insurer you choose.

Sad,
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Re: ICBC and new drivers should work together

Post by WhenWhatWho »

foxtrot276 wrote:Were all of you not new drivers at one point in your life like I am right now? were you not in my shoes once in your life?

These new restrictions are disgusting, I'm currently a L driver, I'm tired of people telling me I'm a terrible driver because of my age, and my L licence. Cops always harass people of my age because of my licence type because we are always up to "no good" the fact of the matter is, the media as stero typed my generation into being terrible drivers that kill and slaughter people all the time.

I understand totally what ICBC is trying to do, but there doing it all wrong, a few bad apples in the bunch are spoiling it and ruining the system for everyone.

Im human, just like you, I make mistakes just like you, Why should I have to take a ride in the back of a cop car, just because I messed up driving once in my life because I was out there trying to get practice, to become a better driver.

Look at your own driving record, have you not once gotten a speeding ticket? Or have the police not once pulled you over? Or are you all mighty god, so experienced and perfect that you never ever have made a mistake in your life time? Forgive me if I don't believe you. Its sickening how I have to wait 3 years to get my full licence, its sickening to read comments like this downing on us younger newer drivers, like we are some sort of scum and trash that should be locked up and have the key thrown away.

I have not once commited an offence on the road, so why am I being condeemed to these restrictions and scrutiny of the media and folks such as yourself?

I hate how it takes me this long to get my class 5, all because of a few bad apples. Make the test hard and tough if you have to icbc, but let there be some breathing room if I make an honest mistake, and don't tell me when I can and cant take these tests of yours, If Im able to pass all your tests you throw at me, then why should you put a time limit on my licence, let me take the test when I am confident and ready to take the test, don't put a time limit on it.

Think about what you type next time, laughing about if I mess up ill be thrown in the back of a cop car. You were once in my shoes, don't ever forget. Only you were lucky enough to not have to deal with these increasing restrictions or time limits on your licence.

As for ICBC saving lives with these new restrictions, that's the biggest lie I've ever seen. Drinking and driving is Illegal, yet people die every year from drunk drivers. What icbc is doing is condemning all of us for those few bad apples who, yes should be locked up.

Oh I have a great idea, lets condemn everyone who drinks an alcoholic beverage now and again to drunk drivers, who should have there licence revoked and jailed for there actions.

No the fact of the matter is, its the few bad apples who drink and drive, I realise this, that is why I don't pass judgement onto people who go out and have a single beer, or cocktail with there meal while out on the town. Because it just simply isn't fair.

Just because ICBC says something or the media reports something doesn't always mean there right, think for yourself people.

Good day.

Welcome to the real world Young Feller. Life lesson number uno? Us old folks have all been thru this in one form or another, no one is picking on you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

foxtrot276 wrote: Because it just simply isn't fair.

Life isn't fair and you'll have to deal with that fact the rest of your life.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

They are Satan's handmaidens.. I have heard they get bonuses if they can avoid paying out.
Anyhow.. the best advice given was to find out what they paid out, and offer to repay. That will bring your rates back down.
Of course the insurance is higher, it is a newer car, why even some well to do ppl drive older cars.
Sorry the NY got off to a bad start
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Quote removed/Trip
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

It has nothing to do with the car and "teaching" the op about money managment. The title is ICBC. Thanks. Trip
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Fair aint got nuthin to do with it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

One big thing that bugs me are irresponsible parents etc that leave the RED L or Green N decal on a rig when neither driver are the ones driving??????????? Whats the point of the Designation decals if one cannot count on them to be true
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

GoStumpy wrote:My wife with no discount driving a 2000 Toyota Corolla with no coverage other than liability only pays $93 a month :)

You know how to treat a girl playa...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

sooperphreek wrote:crazy thing is an old geriatric will drive through a building frontage or down a sidewalk and he will only lose his 3 percent bump for 3 years and his get out of accident free card.

And it's possibly the first accident in 50+ years of driving!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Are they easily removed?
deedub
Fledgling

Post by deedub »

Unfortuneatly for young drivers ,it's all based on statistics .You are all guilty until proven innocent .
CloisteredDrone
Fledgling

Post by CloisteredDrone »

deedub wrote:Unfortuneatly for young drivers ,it's all based on statistics .You are all guilty until proven innocent .

Actually, all insurance is based on statistics. That's what actuaries do.

Old geezers pay more for travel health insurance. Even if they don't drop dead in Palm Springs.

At any rate, I hope the young lady can find her moved thread. She might want to consider small claims court. Which would at least force ICBC and the other driver to defend their lies and stupidity.
That was 'Can You Dig It' by Georgie Wood.
And now we'd like to do 'Hark The Angels Come.'
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

jess-bel wrote:................ ICBC decided to call it a 50/50 because "BOTH CARS WERE MOVING" (actually quoted from my adjuster)
So I went in today to renew my insurance...the woman told me my new rate was now $327 A MONTH. ..............
Now tell me, is it logical to raise someone's insurance rate by $100 for a 50/50 accident? Is that even ethical?...........

OK lets boil this down...

First off,,,, "50/50 because both cars were moving", well when two cars go through an intersection one on a green and one on a red, they are both moving and only one is at fault 100/0. More to it than that. Likely conflicting statements with no independent witness.

Fairly new driver, newer vehicle, liable accident, (50/50 changes nothing, you are liable, not "half liable")

You say it wasn't your fault, but agree that the statement made by the other driver doesn't corroborate this. There apparently were no independent witnesses.

Contrary to what "ShannonG" said :
    "When you're under a certain age (I think the magic number is 25) any accident is going to spike your already steep insurance rates. Feel free to blame my generation on all those accidents we had as young drivers back before ICBC started discriminating."

ICBC does not discriminate because of age or sex. Back when I was young, before ICBC, the private insurance companies I had to deal with established my insurance rates based on my sex, my age, my marital status. And, yes, 25 years old was the magic number.

In your case, what effects you is the number of years you have accrued without having a claim. Being 20, you likely have only been driving for 3 plus years. Every new driver, no matter if they are 16 years or 60 years old start at a base rate. Each year that a driver does not have a liable claim they are given a 5% discount, up to 8 years (ie 40%).

In the 9th year you are given an additional 3% and begin to accrue accident forgiveness. You can find the entire scale at ICBC.com.

If you had a 15% (3 years) or less discount (as I think you likely did) and had the liable accident you move up the Claims Rated Scale 6 steps. So if you were at a 15% discount you'd move, 1 -10%, 2 - 5%, 3 Base Rate, 4 +10%, 5 +20%, 6 +30%. You are now at plus 30%. You DON'T want to have another liable claim, as you'd go up another 6 steps to 165% surcharge.

If you had had more experience and had had no liable claims the accident wouldn't have affected you as it did.

It may be too late to pay the claim back to ICBC but it would be based on paying half the other vehicle's claim and half your claim (ie, 50/50), you'd then have to equate that to the amount you would pay over the next 6 years. Your adjuster could have looked this up for you in a second, they have a program that based on you continuing to insure the same vehicle in the same area, same use, how much this claim will cost you til your back where you started.

"CloisterdDrone" was 100% correct, there is NO private insurance company that would touch you, especially because of the claim. I would avoid her suggestion that you might have a headache or neck problem. ICBC has one of the better SIU's (Special Investigation Unit) in the insurance industry. They also have two officers based right in Kelowna, for your convenience.

To "northglenmore2012" : There are two main ingredients to auto insurance, public liability and own damage. Once the price of the package you buy is established, then the appropriate discount is applied.

Public liability is priced on two basic factors (this is before any discount) the territory and the amount of coverage. The territory dictates the price because of the increased risk in certain areas of the province. Territory also factors in the price of own damage. Next is the limit, the least you can buy is $200,000.

Own damage is determined by the territory you will primarily be driving your vehicle in, as above, and the type of vehicle. An expensive vehicle is obviously more expensive to insure.

So for liability coverage, I'm estimating, but $2 million liability would be in the area of $100 a month, less any discount.

My 3 year old midlevel SUV full load with a deductible of $300 collision $300 comprehensive $200 glass, cost $75 a month, again less discount.

My full coverage cost me $1200 a year +/-.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

GoStumpy wrote:My wife with no discount driving a 2000 Toyota Corolla with no coverage other than liability only pays $93 a month :)

TreeGuy wrote:What age group is she in? (don't worry we won't tell her)

She is 28 but only been driving for 2 years, so no discount.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

Return to “B.C.”