ICBC and new drivers should work together

JustplainMe21

ICBC and new drivers should work together

Post by JustplainMe21 »

Im not going to mown and complain like most of the New drivers about ICBC's restrictions. Lets face the facts, the restrictions on new drivers have saved many lives. The only problem is everyones losing there licences. Once your into ICBC's system its almost impossable to get out! I'd like Icbc to give us a hand not by lowering there restrictions, but by helping the drivers within there system.

With the current N restritions driver can lose their licence after one ticket. No wonder why so many lives have been saved. ICBC is doing a great job of saving young peoples lives, somthing no one should complain about. They set there restrictions for new drivers higher and higher alomost yearly.

Every time a new driver recieves a ticket 3 points or over the driver will lose his or her licence. When a driver is eligtible to recieve their licence back, the driver restarts the N. Meaning one ticket and their back on the loser cuiser! There are many people stuck in this system.

There are many ways icbc can help these drivers. Heres a few of my ideas. Icbc could take away their willingness to speed by installing speed cameras in areas such as springfeild road, hartman hill, and bridge hill. Not only would this reduce the amount of drivers licences lost it would reduce car accidents and save lifes. Not to mention the millions of dollars it would save them!

Lets say a driver loses his licence for speeding, Id like to see icbc give that person credit off their suspention for installing a governer, or taking a drivers course. Lets work togeather to make the roads safer, without just losing our licenses.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: ICBC and New drivers should work togeather

Post by Phoenix Within »

JustplainMe21 wrote:They set there restrictions for new drivers higher and higher alomost yearly.

If they feel the need to increase restrictions, obviously it's because young drivers aren't getting the message.

Every time a new driver recieves a ticket 3 points or over the driver will lose his or her licence. There are many people stuck in this system.

Then obviously there's a lot of people incapable of following the rules of the road and should be restricted until they are ready to do so. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Heres a few of my ideas. Icbc could take away their willingness to speed by installing speed cameras in areas such as springfeild road, hartman hill, and bridge hill. Not only would this reduce the amount of drivers licences lost it would reduce car accidents and save lifes. Not to mention the millions of dollars it would save them!

No, because all that will do is have three areas of the city where people will slow down knowing where the cameras are, and speed up once their past them. Plus, the traffic cameras aren't allowed in BC. Charter violations I believe. (wait a minute... isn't Hartman hill the big hill up in Rutland? the one with only local traffic? Why would ICBC bother to spend that kind of money because a few random people go full-bore down that hill?) I don't understand the logic of how you think this will reduce the amount of licenses lost.

Lets say a driver loses his licence for speeding, Id like to see icbc give that person credit off their suspention for installing a governer,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; it's not up to the Gov't to regulate stupidity. They have enough of their own to deal with. Plus I guarantee that someone's going to figure out a way around those governors. Even so, who's going to pay for the cost of the install? I guarantee it's not the Gov't!

taking a drivers course.

Which will do what exactly? It's up to the driver to regulate their speed, not the Gov't.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

People with their N licenses already have the ability to help themselves, save lives and never lose their licenses. It's called obeying the laws set out for drivers in BC.

While most of us never get behind the wheel of a vehicle intending to kill or maim ourselves or anyone else, it always amazes me that few actively consider themselves as being in control of a lethal and destructive weapon.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

grammafreddy wrote:People with their N licenses already have the ability to help themselves, save lives and never lose their licenses. It's called obeying the laws set out for drivers in BC.

That's right. That's another part of belonging to a collective and being responsible to it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

steven lloyd wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:People with their N licenses already have the ability to help themselves, save lives and never lose their licenses. It's called obeying the laws set out for drivers in BC.

That's right. That's another part of belonging to a collective and being responsible to it.

Yes, SL, in some cases I support a collective notion - in this case, the laws of the land. If, however, there was a collective to promote the right to drive, I probably would not support that collective.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

Must I point out the spelling misteak in the Title?
Lack of objection is implied consent.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

mtnman1 wrote:Must I point out the spelling misteak in the Title?

Someone had to (it's your responsibility to the collective).
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

Sorry GF, I just had too. It is a slow day here on the forums.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

mtnman1 wrote:Sorry GF, I just had too. It is a slow day here on the forums.

Why are you apologizing to me? I saw it but chose not to comment because I know the collective that mandates public education has watered the system down so much that nobody is learning much for basics these days. The collective thinks music and theatah is as important (or more important) than learning to communicate accurately.

... and you misspelled "too" .

mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

grammafreddy wrote:
mtnman1 wrote:Sorry GF, I just had too. It is a slow day here on the forums.

Why are you apologizing to me? I saw it but chose not to comment because I know the collective that mandates public education has watered the system down so much that nobody is learning much for basics these days. The collective thinks music and theatah is as important (or more important) than learning to communicate accurately.

... and you misspelled "too" .

OOpppsss, my bad, sorry, I thought you were the OP.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

mtnman1 wrote:Must I point out the spelling misteak in the Title?

... and you misspelled "mistake", too. The word "title" in this case does not require capitalization, either.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

mtnman1 wrote:

Maybe you should have quit before you started ...

"My bad" ... is incorrect.

"My" is a possessive. "Bad" is a descriptive.

You are missing a noun in your phrase... your bad what?

Did you mean to say, "I am bad."? In this case, "bad" describes what you are.

Are you sorry you started this discussion?

mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

grammafreddy wrote:
mtnman1 wrote:

Maybe you should have quit before you started ...

"My bad" ... is incorrect.

"My" is a possessive. "Bad" is a descriptive.

You are missing a noun in your phrase... your bad what?

Did you mean to say, "I am bad."? In this case, "bad" describes what you are.

Oh, Yes I am. :137:
Are you sorry you started this discussion?
Rajin

Post by Rajin »

Phoenix Within wrote:
Every time a new driver recieves a ticket 3 points or over the driver will lose his or her licence. There are many people stuck in this system.

Then obviously there's a lot of people incapable of following the rules of the road and should be restricted until they are ready to do so. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Correct, but why is it that a new driver should be punished more than an old driver? They both broke the rules, yet a harsher punishment is placed on the young. Say an N driver get's 1 speeding ticket every 5 years. Now say that an older more experienced driver get's 1 speeding ticket every year. Why is it that the N loses his license?

Heres a few of my ideas. Icbc could take away their willingness to speed by installing speed cameras in areas such as springfeild road, hartman hill, and bridge hill. Not only would this reduce the amount of drivers licences lost it would reduce car accidents and save lifes. Not to mention the millions of dollars it would save them!

No, because all that will do is have three areas of the city where people will slow down knowing where the cameras are, and speed up once their past them. Plus, the traffic cameras aren't allowed in BC. Charter violations I believe. (wait a minute... isn't Hartman hill the big hill up in Rutland? the one with only local traffic? Why would ICBC bother to spend that kind of money because a few random people go full-bore down that hill?) I don't understand the logic of how you think this will reduce the amount of licenses lost.

Does this not accomplish the goal though?
People will slow down if they know it's there. It doesn't matter if it's a cop there, and it was announced on the radio, or if it's a known speed camera.

Lets say a driver loses his licence for speeding, Id like to see icbc give that person credit off their suspention for installing a governer,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; it's not up to the Gov't to regulate stupidity. They have enough of their own to deal with. Plus I guarantee that someone's going to figure out a way around those governors. Even so, who's going to pay for the cost of the install? I guarantee it's not the Gov't!

You're right, it's not the government's responsibility. Why not have the owner of the vehicle pay for it? Much like the owner of the vehicle has to pay to keep it maintained properly.

I personally think this is a great idea. If a driver willingly places a speed governor on their vehicle, there should be some sort of benefit.

grammafreddy wrote:While most of us never get behind the wheel of a vehicle intending to kill or maim ourselves or anyone else, it always amazes me that few actively consider themselves as being in control of a lethal and destructive weapon.

That's because it's not a weapon. Yes, it can be lethal and destructive. But so are many other things in this world. Not all of them are considered weapons.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Rajin wrote:Correct, but why is it that a new driver should be punished more than an old driver?

Same reason you pay more for insurance being under 25. Statistically, you're more than likely to get into an accident. It's called "paying your dues". We all had to so it and it's just the way it is. Stop complaining.

Say an N driver get's 1 speeding ticket every 5 years.

The "N" driver should be well out of their N before that point. Moot argument.

Does this not accomplish the goal though?

Only briefly, then it's business as usual. Not enough to justify the expense.

People will slow down if they know it's there.

And speed up once they're past it.

That's because it's not a weapon. Yes, it can be lethal and destructive. But so are many other things in this world. Not all of them are considered weapons.

Clearly you've never studied martial arts. Anything can become a weapon.
Last edited by Phoenix Within on Jan 3rd, 2010, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky

Return to “B.C.”