Cops charged for Taser use on 73 year old.

westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Re: Cops charged for Taser use on 73 year old.

Post by westsidebud »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:
Fancy wrote:That would be against their constitutional rights I think - innocent until proven guilty. At least if these guys are found guilty and consequently fired, they won't be collecting a pension.

And what about the constitutional rights of the innocent victums of all the people who have been either murdered or assalted by the RCMP in recent years? You are so very quick to defend these bad cops. You must be in law enforcement or related some how to have these kind of views. These kind of police officers should not be ON PAID LEAVE at the expence of the tax payers of this province.They should be fired and thrown in jail as you or I would be if we acted in this deplorable manner.

fancy is just flaming you lol
GO CANUCKS GO
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If you have something intelligent to say about the subject, please do so.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Fancy wrote:That would be against their constitutional rights I think - innocent until proven guilty. At least if these guys are found guilty and consequently fired, they won't be collecting a pension.

And what about the constitutional rights of the innocent victums of all the people who have been either murdered or assalted by the RCMP in recent years? You are so very quick to defend these bad cops. You must be in law enforcement or related some how to have these kind of views. These kind of police officers should not be ON PAID LEAVE at the expence of the tax payers of this province.They should be fired and thrown in jail as you or I would be if we acted in this deplorable manner.

I believe everyone has the right to avail themselves of our justice system.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Fancy wrote:

Everyone does Fancy, the issue is this 'paid leave' business that the RCMP have in effect. I can understand it in some situations where everything needs to be gone over, but there are some ridiculous times(I can't quote it right now I don't feel like sifting through 137 pages to find it) where it's just TOO much.

The problem as we are beginning to get to the root of it all is that the RCMP babies their own(rightfully so), and allows this to go on unchecked.

In the most recent case, I don't agree with the officer being put on administrative duties. Seemingly everyone thus far seems to agree that what we have seen is far beyond the scope of what is "acceptable" in a take-down situation. Sure we don't know the FULL story yet, BUT even the police who have a better understanding of it than we do(seemingly) agree that it was TOO much for too little. So suspend him, don't allow him any pay, and make him suffer a consequence for his actions like any normal person would.

I will say that there are ALWAYS exceptions to every rule, and sometimes the public goes a little over-board(I know I do) when it comes to cops and our judgement of them. Recently though they deserve the eye-glass on them, and we NEED to make sure we put the pressure on them to make proper judgments of themselves.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Loed wrote:
Fancy wrote:

Everyone does Fancy, the issue is this 'paid leave' business that the RCMP have in effect. I can understand it in some situations where everything needs to be gone over, but there are some ridiculous times(I can't quote it right now I don't feel like sifting through 137 pages to find it) where it's just TOO much.

The problem as we are beginning to get to the root of it all is that the RCMP babies their own(rightfully so), and allows this to go on unchecked.

In the most recent case, I don't agree with the officer being put on administrative duties. Seemingly everyone thus far seems to agree that what we have seen is far beyond the scope of what is "acceptable" in a take-down situation. Sure we don't know the FULL story yet, BUT even the police who have a better understanding of it than we do(seemingly) agree that it was TOO much for too little. So suspend him, don't allow him any pay, and make him suffer a consequence for his actions like any normal person would.

I will say that there are ALWAYS exceptions to every rule, and sometimes the public goes a little over-board(I know I do) when it comes to cops and our judgement of them. Recently though they deserve the eye-glass on them, and we NEED to make sure we put the pressure on them to make proper judgments of themselves.

:rate10: I will go on to say that there is zero accountability on the part of the RCMP for their actions. The tax payers who pay their wages, at the very least deserve that much. :137:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I think I can say without a doubt that if it were me, joe blow citizen, substituted for that RCMP member and caught on video as he was in exactly the same situation kicking a man on his knee's in the face, I would have been arrested on the spot, processed, and the crown would have already laid charges by now. I would then wait to have my day in court and the details would be laid out in court to determine guilt or innocence. Awaiting trial I would have also returned to my job at the office or sawmill and received my paycheque.

The difference is the RCMP are not Joe Blow's. The fact that it takes this long for the Crown to lay the charge prooves it. They have a position of authority and trust and are hence subject to a higher standard of behaviour. They know this, or should know this when they choose such a career path and are renumerated handsomely for it. When the very gross actions they are there to arrest for are committed by themselves then they are incompetant for the job and should be charged and suspended without pay imediately. They can have their day in court and they should, and paying their own legal fee's just like Joe Blow. If found guilty, the correct action was taken. If found not guilty, full retroactive pay. You can bet defense won't be employing any procedural delaying tactics when the paycheque is not coming in.

Look at the Summerland RCMP member Turcotte. Already found guilty in a court of law for assault but still on the payroll while he drags out a hopeless appeal process for months or years. Then the Inspector will go to council looking for a funding increase from the taxpayer because they need more members or there is a budget shortfall.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Seems the Kelowna RCMP member Mantler that kicked Buddy Tavares in the face has a history. Check out the video and read portions of the complaint from Aug. Punched in the face, broken teeth, pulled from his vehicle while still in gear so it drove away and hit another vehicle. Turns out he did nothing wrong and was repossessing a boat. Guilty until proven innocent. Got to wonder why this cop was not suspended from duty in August. What did the Inspector of the Kelowna branch do about "code of conduct" in this case. Buddy would not have been kicked in the face had this cop been suspended then and yet here we are now and he is still on payroll........our payroll.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#59616

"Kelowna constable Geoff Mantler is under more scrutiny.

Mantler is the officer facing charges in connection with the Buddy Tavares incident a few weeks ago when the Kelowna man was kicked in the face during an arrest, an act that was caught on tape by Castanet.

Now another alleged victim of police brutality at the hands of Constable Mantler has come forward.

In an interview with CHBC's Blaine Gaffney, Kelowna resident Jeremy Packer alleges that Mantler used exessive force during another high profile arrest caught on tape by Castanet last August on the floating bridge.

Packer was arrested for allegedly stealing a boat, but claimed he was a repo man.

During the arrest, Packer alleges that Mantler punched him several times.

Kelowna RCMP would not confirm or deny that Mantler is under investigation for the Packer arrest.

Mantler is suspended with pay and police are recommending charges of assault causing bodily harm in the relation to the Tavares incident."
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

"In the most recent case, I don't agree with the officer being put on administrative duties. Seemingly everyone thus far seems to agree that what we have seen is far beyond the scope of what is "acceptable" in a take-down situation. Sure we don't know the FULL story yet, BUT even the police who have a better understanding of it than we do (seemingly) agree that it was TOO much for too little. So suspend him, don't allow him any pay, and make him suffer a consequence for his actions like any normal person would."

Two ways of looking at this suspension. Firstly suspend with pay as we know in Canada innocent until proven guilty even though in the eyes of all there is a preponderance of evidence that they feel suggests he is guilty. Although he is not convicted by a court, only by persons with little knowledge of fact of law.

Secondly, suspend him without pay. Now he has no money for a defence lawyer. The crown will have to pay for that if he is unable to, by law! Lastly the cost which would be encored after to battle the civil matter as to why you suspended him without pay would be enormous to say the least. It's less costly to pay him until the matter is through the court system, if found guilty then cut his pay if the can.

Ironically, no–one in any of these forums is upset with the News investigator who is has been alleged to be playing with children has been suspended with pay… is it all because people dislike authority???

Return to “B.C.”