Tuesday, September 30th4.7°C
23366
23193

Weather Appreciation

B.C. topics.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, ferri, Triple 6, Jo

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Graphite » Nov 2nd, 2012, 8:39 pm

Hoar frost! Beautiful
Graphite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1449
Likes: 25 posts
Liked in: 53 posts
Joined: Feb 10th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Glacier » Nov 6th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Actually, it was from the ice storm they had...

Closer to home, this might come as a shock to you guys, but October was a lot wetter than September. Peachland only had 1 mm in September, but over 91 mm in October. Victoria went from 0.6 mm in September to almost 190 mm in October. Most of the province was significantly wetter in October. Extreme northwest communities like Dease Lake and Atlin were the exception.

Kamloops and Clinton were the two driest spots (17 and 19 mm respectively). Kamloops also recorded the highest temperature of the month (27.2 degrees). This was bested by a couple places in Alberta.

Fort St John was one of the snowiest places in Canada last month recording 87 cm of snow.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
User avatar
Glacier
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16548
Likes: 350 posts
Liked in: 1360 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Lady tehMa » Nov 11th, 2012, 11:13 pm

Okay Glacier, how are we sitting for snowfall? It seems early to me this year. I can remember snowfall earlier though, but what does your data say?
I haven't failed until I quit.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12867
Likes: 3712 posts
Liked in: 560 posts
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Queen K » Nov 12th, 2012, 12:38 am

The first year our neighbours moved here the snow started Dec. 1 and didn't stop til March. So this is quite uncalled for this early in Nov.
Please stop bragging on facebook about how great the Okanagan is right now, or they'll want to move here.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 32131
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 961 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Glacier » Nov 12th, 2012, 1:14 pm

The only years that the Kelowna airport did not get any snow in November or October were 2002 and 1978 (records began in 1968).

Other weather stations started as early as 1899 and recorded the following years without snow before December.
    1904
    1908

    1920
    1922
    1928

    1931
    1932
    1936

    1941
    1949

    1952
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
User avatar
Glacier
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16548
Likes: 350 posts
Liked in: 1360 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby grammafreddy » Nov 12th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Where are those weather stations. Glacier? In Kelowna?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
 
Posts: 28551
Likes: 2199 posts
Liked in: 776 posts
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby SmokeOnTheWater » Nov 12th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Queen K wrote:The first year our neighbours moved here the snow started Dec. 1 and didn't stop til March. So this is quite uncalled for this early in Nov.


It's November 2, 2006 ... I look out the window ... it's snowing... I remember the date because one of my relative was leaving for Hawaii the same day ( not from Kelowna ) .... urghhhhhhh ......
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
User avatar
SmokeOnTheWater
Guru
 
Posts: 6214
Likes: 178 posts
Liked in: 138 posts
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Glacier » Nov 12th, 2012, 9:40 pm

grammafreddy wrote:Where are those weather stations. Glacier? In Kelowna?


Yes, Kelowna. The longest running station was near Glenmore.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
User avatar
Glacier
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16548
Likes: 350 posts
Liked in: 1360 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Cumungala » Nov 13th, 2012, 12:15 am

It seems like its becoming a habit for the Okanagan to get a dump of snow in the middle of November. I love snow, but I would rather the big dumps wait until the end of November or early December. Our leaves aren't even picked up yet. For the past two years, there was a significant snowfall in mid to late November that stuck around for a week. Then it melted and got extremely mild until the middle of January. That had better NOT happen again.

Places like Osoyoos got hardly any snow last night, while parts of West Kelowna got over 30cm. There was a good 12cm on my deck railing here in Downtown Kelowna. It has probably settled down to about 9cm now.
Cumungala
Übergod
 
Posts: 1306
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 17 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2009, 6:40 pm
Location: Kelowna BC

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Glacier » Nov 13th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Cumungala wrote:It seems like its becoming a habit for the Okanagan to get a dump of snow in the middle of November. I love snow, but I would rather the big dumps wait until the end of November or early December. Our leaves aren't even picked up yet. For the past two years, there was a significant snowfall in mid to late November that stuck around for a week. Then it melted and got extremely mild until the middle of January. That had better NOT happen again.

Places like Osoyoos got hardly any snow last night, while parts of West Kelowna got over 30cm. There was a good 12cm on my deck railing here in Downtown Kelowna. It has probably settled down to about 9cm now.


How do you know Osoyoos hardly got any snow? How do you know West Kelowna got over 30 cm? I doubt they even got half that. I know my place in the North Okanagan only got 6 or 7 cm yesterday (on top of the 3 of 4 cm left over from the week before). As of 8 this morning, the snow depth is still 9 cm just like it was yesterday (thanks to a new skiff this morning).

You are correct about November. Sept-Oct are some of the driest months in the Okanagan, but November starts the wet season. In fact, November is the wettest month of the year in many BC communities including where I grew up in the western reaches of the Cariboo. We always looked forward to freeze-up because it would mean ice skating and hockey playing time on the ponds and lakes. Unfortunately, November and December usually had a lot of snow, so shoveling was part of the game most years.

They tell me that November of 1975 was the year of the big snow up there when 6 feet of snow fell in normally dry Anahim Lake (the rest of winter was very dry). I notice that Kelowna was quite snowy that month as well when more than 1 1/2 feet of snow fell that November.

From yesterday, Osoyoos had 2.1 mm of snow water equivalent. This compares to Vernon that had 2.9 mm of snow water equivalent. These stations melt the snow and measure the liquid in mm. Snowfall amounts can be estimated by assuming a 10:1 ration (1 cm of snow = 1 mm of precipitation). The Penticton Airport had 3.6 mm of snow water equivalent, which equates to 4 cm of snowfall. Kelowna by comparison had 4.8 mm (snowfall is no longer measured at the Kelowna airport).

Kamloops had 8.9 mm of precipitation or 9.2 cm of snow.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
User avatar
Glacier
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16548
Likes: 350 posts
Liked in: 1360 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Cumungala » Nov 13th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Glacier wrote:
Cumungala wrote:It seems like its becoming a habit for the Okanagan to get a dump of snow in the middle of November. I love snow, but I would rather the big dumps wait until the end of November or early December. Our leaves aren't even picked up yet. For the past two years, there was a significant snowfall in mid to late November that stuck around for a week. Then it melted and got extremely mild until the middle of January. That had better NOT happen again.

Places like Osoyoos got hardly any snow last night, while parts of West Kelowna got over 30cm. There was a good 12cm on my deck railing here in Downtown Kelowna. It has probably settled down to about 9cm now.


How do you know Osoyoos hardly got any snow? How do you know West Kelowna got over 30 cm? I doubt they even got half that. I know my place in the North Okanagan only got 6 or 7 cm yesterday (on top of the 3 of 4 cm left over from the week before). As of 8 this morning, the snow depth is still 9 cm just like it was yesterday (thanks to a new skiff this morning).

You are correct about November. Sept-Oct are some of the driest months in the Okanagan, but November starts the wet season. In fact, November is the wettest month of the year in many BC communities including where I grew up in the western reaches of the Cariboo. We always looked forward to freeze-up because it would mean ice skating and hockey playing time on the ponds and lakes. Unfortunately, November and December usually had a lot of snow, so shoveling was part of the game most years.

They tell me that November of 1975 was the year of the big snow up there when 6 feet of snow fell in normally dry Anahim Lake (the rest of winter was very dry). I notice that Kelowna was quite snowy that month as well when more than 1 1/2 feet of snow fell that November.

From yesterday, Osoyoos had 2.1 mm of snow water equivalent. This compares to Vernon that had 2.9 mm of snow water equivalent. These stations melt the snow and measure the liquid in mm. Snowfall amounts can be estimated by assuming a 10:1 ration (1 cm of snow = 1 mm of precipitation). The Penticton Airport had 3.6 mm of snow water equivalent, which equates to 4 cm of snowfall. Kelowna by comparison had 4.8 mm (snowfall is no longer measured at the Kelowna airport).

Kamloops had 8.9 mm of precipitation or 9.2 cm of snow.


They said on CHBC that Rose Valley got 14 inches of snow and showed a picture of it. Mike also said that places near Osoyoos got just a skiff.

Here in Kelowna we got 12cm total. Now it is all gone, which is no big deal right now because it is still early in the season. However I expected it to take a few days to melt, but when I looked outside this morning my jaw dropped. It was pretty much all gone. Certainly a sharp contrast to when I went to bed last night and there was still plenty of snow out there.
Cumungala
Übergod
 
Posts: 1306
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 17 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2009, 6:40 pm
Location: Kelowna BC

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Bsuds » Nov 13th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Drove through Osoyoos today and hardly any snow showing anywhere. Some further South though.
Recent medical research has shown that a Woman who carries a bit of excess weight lives much longer than a man who mentions it!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 32858
Likes: 1786 posts
Liked in: 2530 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am
Location: Ork

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Glacier » Nov 14th, 2012, 5:41 pm

I still had 5 cm of snow at my place this morning. Down from the 9 the day before. Mostly gone now in Vernon though.

Here are two interesting graphs. The first one shows how the temperature varies as you move down the province, and the second one shows you how the temperature varies as you move west across the province.

eg. In the first graph, the average annual temperature between latitudes 49 and 49.5 varies from 11.3 degrees in Howe Sound to 2.3 degrees at Allison Pass.

latt.png

long.png
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
User avatar
Glacier
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16548
Likes: 350 posts
Liked in: 1360 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Glacier » Nov 28th, 2012, 2:03 pm

NOTE: I'm using the 1981 go 2010 climate normals. These new normals put December as the coldest month of the year in the Okanagan, but if you look at the old 1971 to 2000 normals, January is the coldest month of the year...

In the Okanagan the average temperature in the coldest month of the year (typically December) is about 22 degrees colder than the average temperature in the hottest month (July).

    Penticton = 22.1 degrees (Dec and July)
    Kelowna = 22.3 (Dec and July)
    Salmon Arm = 23.0 (Dec and July)
    Osoyoos = 23.2 (Dec and July)

    Vernon = 23.3 (Dec and July)
    Princeton = 23.8 (Dec and July)
    Kamloops = 24.3 (Jan and July)
Here is how other places around BC compare (notice that Fort Nelson leads the pack by a country mile).

    Fort Nelson = 37.8 degrees (Jan and July)
    Dease Lake = 30.5 (Jan and July)
    Fort St John = 29.4 (Jan and July)

    Cranbrook = 25.8 (Dec and July)
    Prince George = 23.7 (Jan and July)
    Barkerville = 20.4 (Dec and July)

    Terrace = 19.4 (Jan and July)
    Hope = 17.6 (Dec and Aug)
    Nanaimo = 15.4 (Dec and July)
    Abbotsford = 15.3 (Dec and Aug)

    Vancouver = 14.5 (Dec and Aug)
    Victoria = 12.8 (Dec and July)
    Prince Rupert = 11.5 (Jan and Aug)

    Race Rocks Lightstation = 7.8 (Dec and Aug)
    Herbert Island = 7.6 (Dec and Aug)
    Solander Island = 7.0 (Feb and Aug)

And places across Canada:
    Yellowknife = 43.6 (Jan and July)
    Iqaluit = 35.7 (Feb and July)
    Edmonton = 29.4 (Jan and July)

    Toronto = 27.1 (Jan and July)
    Halifax = 24.6 (Jan and July)
    St John's, NL = 20.9 (Feb and Aug)
Last edited by Glacier on Dec 6th, 2012, 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
User avatar
Glacier
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16548
Likes: 350 posts
Liked in: 1360 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Weather Appreciation

Postby Glacier » Dec 3rd, 2012, 1:26 pm

Winter is now under way. It started off setting a new record high for December 1st.
    Kelowna hit 11.9 degrees, besting the old 1972 record of 10.2.
    Penticton recorded 11.2 degrees which beat the old record of 11.1 degrees set in 1941 and 1949.
    Vernon also reached 11.2 degrees which also beat the old record of 11.1 degrees, this time set in 1941 and recorded again in 1972.

Predictions are for an average winter in terms of temperature, but wetter than average. Therefore, it's likely that we will see more snow than average. Our part of the world is a little tough to gauge though.

One thing that is easier to predict is the weather on the prairies. It would be quite the shocker if they don't have a colder winter than last year, where they had one of warmest winters on record. Check out Winterpeg in December...

Top 10 least snowy Decembers in Winnipeg (since 1872)

    1. 1877 ............ 0.5 cm (warmest December and winter on record)
    2. 1892 ............ 1.3 cm
    3. 1931 ............ 2.0 cm
    4. 1899 ............ 2.8 cm
    5. 1954 ............ 3.3 cm
    6. 1939 ............ 3.6 cm (Green Christmas)
    7. 1907 ............ 4.6 cm
    8. 1896 ............ 4.8 cm
    9. 2011 ............ 5.2 cm
    10. 1959 .......... 5.3 cm

From November 1877 to March 1878 (known as the year without winter), only 18.8 cm fell in Winnipeg - an astounding feat for Canada's wettest prairie province. Interestingly, the surrounding winters were bitterly cold ones. As a matter of fact, it was a mere two years later that Winnipeg recorded her all-time coldest temperature of -48.
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
User avatar
Glacier
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16548
Likes: 350 posts
Liked in: 1360 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

PreviousNext

Return to British Columbia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests