Weather Appreciation

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Weather Appreciation

Post by Glacier »

Lady tehMa wrote:Just out of curiosity - when do you think we can expect the first frost? I noticed we're getting into single digits now at night.

Here is the forecast for winter. http://www.weathertrends360.com/Blog/Po ... tlook-1935
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Glacier wrote:Here is the forecast for winter. http://www.weathertrends360.com/Blog/Po ... tlook-1935

OW.

That made my brain hurt. Can you give me a layman's summary?

Also, my friend just heard on CBC Radio they're calling for a frost warning tonight What The Heck???
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Lady tehMa wrote:OW.

That made my brain hurt. Can you give me a layman's summary?

Also, my friend just heard on CBC Radio they're calling for a frost warning tonight What The Heck???

Summary would be above average temperature and average precipitation. I think your friend is full something smelly because no forecast was calling for frost.

Did you know that this past summer (June through August) was one of the hottest summers ever. Here is a list of the hottest summers ever recorded. Notice that the 4 places on the list for 2014 were anywhere from 3rd to 7th in terms of hottest.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

On second thought, maybe your friend was talking about elsewhere in Canada (where it's not uncommon to get frost this time of year).

You know you live in a big country when the current list of warnings looks like this:

warnings.JPG
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

So after that initial squall of September weather we are warmer again. What factors cause an "Indian Summer", and how is one determined? I'm wondering if the weather is average for fall, or headed into a warmer stretch. I remember the term from my childhood, but am curious about the background of it. Got anything for me Glacier? :)
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Frost on the lawn in parts of the Peace River country. You've gotta love the Okanagan temperature by comparison.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The white stuff is in news again Northeast BC is expecting 5 to 10 cm, guess what everyone winter is coming.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/122398/ ... ed-to-fall
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Indian summer means you get a warm spell in the Fall after having a cooler section of weather. This happens most years since the temperature is always fluctuating between warmer than average to cooler than average.

Speaking of summer, this was the 6th hottest summer ever recorded in BC, though only the 41st hottest June...

Looking forward, it looks like we are going to be hammered by wet weather off the Pacific around the 21st of this month. Mark it on your calendars.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Kelowna was -1 this morning as was my place. My basil plant is not going to be happy!
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

*sighs* Guess I'd better get the last of that produce in . . .
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Lady tehMa wrote:*sighs* Guess I'd better get the last of that produce in . . .

At least we didn't set any records (though this is the earliest frost on a long time). The Cariboo set new records this morning with some places being as cold as -7.4.

This morning's temperatures:
Princeton: -2.6
Kelowna: -1.2
Glacier's house: -0.8
Vernon: 1.5
Penticton: 2.1
Osoyoos: 2.8
Summerland: 3.8
Last edited by Glacier on Sep 12th, 2014, 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Didn't you say it might be a colder, longer winter or something like that?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

NO! How could you suggest that? Go stand in the corner!!!!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I sure haven't had frost at my place yet! It got down to 5 degrees on Thursday morning and 6 yesterday. The Kelowna airport hit -1 on Thursday. I was hoping to get an early September frost for once! It seems to be normal to get the first frost around Remembrance Day where I am, which I can just foresee happening once again this year. Gotta love city heat.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

There are two relatively new weather stations in Kelowna. One is UBCO and the other is located up on the ridge to the west of the airport. Both are warmer on average than the Penticton airport.

Here is a summary of the warmest places in Canada this summer (by mean average temperature):
SUMMER2014.png

Note these are the mean temperatures that take into account the highs and lows. If we only look at the highs, the order changes quite a bit. Ashcroft and Osoyoos tied for fist with an average high of 30.3 degrees, and Windsor, Ontario drops down to the bottom because they don't get as hot in the day as us (nor as cold at night).
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”