Weather Appreciation

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Weather Appreciation

Post by Queen K »

We stayed in and got our furnace fixed. I appreciate the heat I really do.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Here are the current weather warnings in Canada. None for the Okanagan, but we are expecting 2 to 4 cm of snow tonight.

Weather Warnings.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

For your Mazatlan weather report;
Just removed my T shirt, as it was too hot.
Just finished a locally grown cinnamon bun and having a nice cuppa, it is too early for a beer or margarita.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm about to remove 1 cm of snow off the Subaru.

I fired up facebook right away to warn people.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

2 cm at my place. Vernon has just a skiff downtown. The forecast was for 2-4 cm, so I can only assume that they were talking about my house when they made their prediction.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Tonight stage set up on the mainstreet, music and dancing in the moonlight.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I Think wrote:Tonight stage set up on the mainstreet, music and dancing in the moonlight.

*sigh*

I'm packing to head to Victoria for a week with my sis. Forecast is "rain, rain, more rain". I will be packing an umbrella, and my straightening iron.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Is it just me, or do certain garden plants look like they're coming alive now?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Its just you.

Yesterday we drove up the devils backbone from Mazatlan to Durango, went from really hot, to nice and warm but freezing at night.
In Durango we walked for miles, so many people and kids on the streets just out enjoying the sun.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Meteorologists define Fall as September 1st to November 30th. Here are the highlights from the Fall of 2015:

Warmest Average Temperature in Canada = Windsor, Ontario at 14.3C (Warmest recorded Fall in Canada in half a century)
Warmest Average Temperature in BC = Quatsino & Sisters Island lighthouses at11.8C (5th time in the past 6 years that the warmest spot was a lighthouse)

Coldest Average Temperature in Canada = Eureka, Nunavut at -17.2C (9th time in the past 10 years that Eureka has had Canada's coldest Fall temperature)
Coldest Average Temperature in BC = Fort Nelson at 0.3C (2nd year in a row as BC's coldest spot)

Hottest Temperature in Canada = Weyburn, Saskatchewan at 36.5C
Hottest Temperature in BC = Vavenby at 35.5C (First time since 1956 that the provincial Fall hotspot was in the North Thompson valley)

Coldest Temperature in Canada = Eureka, Nunavut at -42.6C (first time the Canadian cold spot was in Nunavut in 6 years)
Coldest Temperature in BC = Puntzi/Chilanko Forks at -28.6C (2nd year in a row as the provincial Fall coldspot)

Snowiest spot in Canada = Mica Dam, BC at 226.5 cm (First time as Canada's snowiest Fall since 1952)

Wettest place in Canada = Boat Bluff lighthouse at 1399.2 mm (6th Fall in a row as Canada's wettest location)

Driest place in Canada = Alert, Nunavut at 32.8 mm (first time on record as Canada's driest Fall)
Driest place in BC = Osoyoos at 43.2 mm (First time since 2003 at BC's driest Fall)

Osoyoos has been the driest spot in BC 7 times since Osoyoos records began in 1955. Only Keremeos has been the driest spot more times than that since 1955.

Number of times as BC's driest Fall:
Keremeos = 11 times
Osoyoos = 7 times
Kamloops = 7 times
Summerland = 6 times
Ashcroft = 5 times
Chetwynd = 2 times
Fort Nelson = 2 times
Hedley = 2 times

Atlin,
Big Creek,
Cache Creek,
Cawston,
Cranbrook,
Dog Creek,
Graham Inlet,
Hudson Hope,
Kleena Kleene,
Lillooet,
Merritt,
Oliver,
Peachland,
Prespatou,
Princeton,
Spences Bridge,
Tatla Lake,
Vinsulla,
108 Mile House = 1 time

Sorting by regional district, the Okanagan - Similkameen Regional District has far and away contained the driest location most often since 1955:

Okanagan - Similkameen = 29 times
Thompson - Nicola = 16 times
Cariboo = 5 times
Peace River = 4 times
Northern Rockes = 2 times
Stikine = 2 times
Central Okanagan,
East Kootenay,
Squamish - Lillooet = 1 time
- Douglas Murray
chrisv
Fledgling

Post by chrisv »

Glacier, what's the official climate classification of the Okanagan Valley? I know we have pockets of semi arid but what's the general classification, and I'm assuming it's much different on the plateaus on either side
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

chrisv wrote:Glacier, what's the official climate classification of the Okanagan Valley? I know we have pockets of semi arid but what's the general classification, and I'm assuming it's much different on the plateaus on either side

That really depends on whose classification system you're using. Part the Okanagan is semi-arid, but none is arid.

Judging by the vegetation, I think that Vernon is more arid than say Kelowna and Peachland which seem to be moderated more by Okanagan Lake. British Columbia has its own standard of classifying the environment. It is called the biogeoclimatic classification, and it's based upon the dominant vegetation. Basically the area in red (Bunchgrass) is semi-arid.
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

20 degrees C right now as the sun sets.
Zacatecas is where its at.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Euro forecast says we have a 99.9% chance of a white Christmas this year...

- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i just saw housefly lol in thompson region . you know its warm when they still flying around :smt045

Return to “B.C.”