Post by Lady tehMa »

I wasn't expecting that little bit of rain we had today :135:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Weather Appreciation

Post by Barney Google »

^^^ an unexpected pleasure :biggrin:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Woodenhead wrote:
I'm gonna hunt you down... :cuss:

How's it goin'? :runforlife:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I enjoy this cooler weather...keeps the blood sucking deer and horse flies down to a dull roar and impedes the flying vermin from attacking during the blazing hot afternoons in squadrons tryin to take off with my stock.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Looks a bit showery out there...

showers.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Better showery than smokey and on fire. :smt045
- Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

So what about this business with funnel clouds? It wasn't an actual tornado, but what was it then? I don't recall one in the area before.
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Lady tehMa wrote:So what about this business with funnel clouds? It wasn't an actual tornado, but what was it then? I don't recall one in the area before.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/17 ... -over-lake
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

A grey day keeps things "cool".
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Funnel clouds are quite common this time of year. They aren't like the ones in Alberta though. When I was there last week 5 separated tornadoes touched down, and more are expected this week. Usually they happen out in some field somewhere so little damage occurs. BC is not hot and humid enough for tornadoes to be common. They can happen, but they are extremely rare, and when they do they are quite weak.

As for the cold weather, Castanet is out to lunch yet again with this story: Brrr... where is the heat?

Let's dissect a few of the errors:
For the first 10 days of July, average daily temperatures have been four degrees below normal.

Horse pucky!
“A normal daytime temperature is 28 C in Kelowna in July,” says Environment Canada meteorologist Lisa Coldwells.

It is IF you round to the nearest degree, though the three weather stations with data show the average of 27.2 (Kelowna East), 27.8 (Kelowna PC Burnetts Nursey), and 27.9 (Kelowna Airport).
“On average, so far, for the first 10 days of July, it has been 23.7 C – so four degrees below normal.

First of all, the average at the airport has been 23.5C. The new station at UBCO has been 23.7, so close enough, I guess. BUT no, it has NOT been 4 degrees below average because the average for early July is a lot cooler than the average for the end of July. Here is the link. The average for the first 10 days is 26.7C, or 27 if you're rounding. Therefore, July has been 3 degrees below average so.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

More severe weather today...

- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Interesting fact: In 1973 the warmest temperature recorded in the Yukon for the entire year was 86F (30C), and it was recorded in the extreme north right along the Arctic Ocean (Komakuk Beach).

komakukbeach.jpg
- Douglas Murray
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Glacier: Is this shaping up to be one of the coolest Julys on record in the Okanagan? We're halfway through the month and yet it feels like June. I'm not complaining. I'd rather have it in the low 20's as opposed to the high 30's but it just doesn't seem like July . . . yet.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Urbane wrote:Glacier: Is this shaping up to be one of the coolest Julys on record in the Okanagan? We're halfway through the month and yet it feels like June. I'm not complaining. I'd rather have it in the low 20's as opposed to the high 30's but it just doesn't seem like July . . . yet.

Below average, but not even close to being the coolest ever. Using Penticton as a reference (it has more complete records than Kelowna), 1983 and 1993 were the coldest Julys on record where the daily MAXIMUM temperature for the month averaged 24.3C. This graph compares the first 14 days of 1983 (average 22.3C) and 2016 (average 25.7C). Normal for July 1 - 14 is 27.5C.

Penticton.png
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”