Weather Appreciation

Alvis
Board Meister

Re: Weather Appreciation

Post by Alvis »

You think Vernons had alot of rain? How about the Kootenays last year!

"With 227.7mm of rain, June 2012 is the wettest June by 350 per cent, crushing the previous record of 117.7mm from 2005. The previous greatest total monthly amount of precipitation was 195.1mm from December of 1966."

So don't complain too much.
This was Nelson inthe same period of 2012. A friend wholives there said most people see this and assume it was becasue the ground was dry but in reality, the ground was already saturated with water. It was around this time, he said, that the land slides started:

http://www.castlegarnews.com/news/161252525.html
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

You have that right! See my post last July: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29869&p=1281011&hilit=castlegar+june#p1286096

They have updated since then to a few more spots. Notice that practically the entire province was not just wetter than average, but much wetter than average (second table below)!

Castlegar and the area around there were also one of the wettest places in the province that month:

wettest-june2012.png

Notice that the top 5 above normal places were in the Kootenays...

June2012-percentofnormal.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

My Kootenay freind said it was a pretty tense time in the area: water coming over the tops of the dams along the Kootenay river, flash floods and rods being washed out or sloughing down hill sides, land slides, you name it.

Mind you I think I'd rather deal with that than forest fires.

Lived through enough of those.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The weather is pretty bad on the prairies this year as well as in England. England just had their coldest March since 1883, and the prairies aren't much better where they are experiencing their coldest March-April since the 1800s as well.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Winter is not that bad for sunshine the Okanagan. If it weren't for the hills and valley cloud, Kelowna would be in the top 25% in the province for most sunshine (See MCCULLOCH). Princeton also gets a lot of sunshine. Only the Cariboo-Chilcotin, Cranbook-Kimberely, Northeast, and Victoria areas get more.

red = Okanagan
green = near the Okanagan

first graph = average for all stations with at least 4 years of data.
second graph = sunniest winter
third graph = least sunny winter

(Click to expand)

Wintersunshine-AVG.png

Wintersunshine_Most.png

Wintersunshine_Least.png
- Douglas Murray
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

hey glacier if you happen to talk to spring, tell her to HURRY THE HELL UP & GET HERE!
Your bias suits you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ya really, we're downtown and it got colder as it got later. Was warmer at 10 am? What the bleep is going on?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Today is supposed to be nicer. What's the historical median temperature for this time of year?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Penticton Airport seems to be the longest running weather station around... http://weather.gc.ca/almanac/almanac_e.html?id=1126150

[Penticton] Averages and Extremes for: April 25, 2013

Average Maximum Temperature = 17.2°C
    Average Minimum Temperature = 3.5°C
    Frequency of Precipitation = 29.0%
    Highest Temperature (1941-2012) = 26.1°C (1977)
    Lowest Temperature (1941-2012) = -4.3°C (1985)

For the Kelowna Airport

Average Maximum Temperature = 17.0 °C
    Average Minimum Temperature = 2.0 °C
    Monthly Frequency of Precipitation = 33 %
    Highest Temperature (1969-2004) = 27.4 °C (1977)
    Lowest Temperature (1969-2004) = -5.9 °C (1984)

For the Kamloops Airport

Average Maximum Temperature = 18.2 °C
    Average Minimum Temperature = 4.2 °C
    Monthly Frequency of Precipitation = 21 %
    Highest Temperature (1951-2012) = 31.3 °C (1977)
    Lowest Temperature (1951-2012) = -6.1 °C (1955)

For the Princeton Airport

Average Maximum Temperature = 15.9 °C
    Average Minimum Temperature = 0.5 °C
    Monthly Frequency of Precipitation = 30 %
    Highest Temperature (1937-2012) = 27.8 °C (1946)
    Lowest Temperature (1937-2012) = -6.8 °C (1982)

For the Vernon Coldstream Ranch

Average Maximum Temperature = 16.4 °C
    Average Minimum Temperature = 3.3 °C
    Monthly Frequency of Precipitation = 35 %
    Highest Temperature (1900-1996) = 28.9 °C (1910)
    Lowest Temperature (1900-1996) = -4.0 °C (1984)

Today's forecast: 23 as the high and 8 at the low!
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

At 4:55 yesterday afternoon the wind was gusting at 43.5 km/h. This is the highest recorded wind speed so far this year. This is not too surprising since our area of the world has very little wind in the winter, but more as we get toward summer.
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

There was a huge white ring around the moon last night which my dad used to say meant a change in the weather coming. The forecast is predicting warmer temps ... 20 on Wednesday. That'll be nice.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

huh, I hadn't heard that one. My gram always called that a "frost ring". I'm really hoping it isn't forecasting more frost, I'm quite done with that!

Thx Glacier, really appreciate all your info.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

At 4:29 this afternoon the wind topped out at 50 km/h.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The forecast shows that temperature is going to hit up to 33 degrees by Monday in the Fraser Canyon (Lytton), the South Thompson (Kamloops), the Boundary (Grand Forks), the Chilcotin (Puntzi Mountain), Port Alberni, and the Pemberton valley.

I suspect that Osoyoos will also hit 30 by monday, but the Okanagan along with the Nicola and the West Kootenays are forecast to hit 30 by Tuesday.

All the forecast regions in canada can bee seen here: http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html

WARNING: The UV index is going to be high (forecast to be 6 today). Yesterday it maxed out at 6.7 in the Okanagan.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”