Weather Appreciation

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Weather Appreciation

Post by Glacier »

Detroit Snow Record Broken

Detroit had the most snow fall ever this winter. The snow fall of yesterday pushed this season to the snowiest ever in Metro Detroit.

This winter was hard for many areas in the United States. Winter is still here and in Detroit for instance it snowed again on Monday and Tuesday. This new snow fall has pushed the overall snow fall to 94.8 inches for the 2013-2014 winter season. This breaks the record set over 130 years ago.

According to Detroit News, the winter of 1880-81 had 93.6 inches of snow. The new snow record is twice as much as normal. Another interesting fact the Detroit News mentions is that Fairbanks in Alaska gets about half less snow within a full year.

Most records are cause for celebration, but I guess Detroit is frustrated with the snow they had this year. Let's hope Spring is finally getting the upper hand ending the misery. Today it will be mostly sunny in Detroit hitting 46F.

In collaboration with Balla Networks, I4U News brings you real-time updates of the current Trending News and social buzz outside of the technology realm. We aim at bringing you all hot stories that are worth knowing about at any moment of the day with a geek angle. Stay up to date with the latest viral news, celebrity gossip, viral videos, movies, business, sports, and more news that move the world today in news and social media.

Balla Network sites curate and highlight Trending News from the entire web and features original commentary on the hottest stories of the day. Stay up to date with the latest news, Tweets and Youtube videos about all trending news in real-time.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've heard people saying it has been a colder spring than last year. I went into my garden albums to look, and most of my plants are blooming about the same dates. The daffodils are a bit behind, but my hyacinths are directly on track.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It looks like we will be in for some sweet azz weather next week. Forecasts are for +26 by next weekend (a week today). Queen K is probably going back to work then, but we won't rub it in.

P.S. I was just noticing that that according to the Köppen climate classification even Penticton is too wet to be considered semi-arid. As a matter of fact, only Spences Bridge, Kamloops, Osoyoos, and Keremeos are semi-arid in BC. Lots of places in Alberta are semi-arid though. Here is a list of the 30 most arid places in Canada with 1981-2010 data:

WEATHER STATION (1981-2010)--------Aridity (arid < 0.5 <= semi-arid < 1.0)
1) SPENCES BRIDGE NICOLA, BC ---0.77
2) SUFFIELD A, ALTA--------------0.79
3) BROOKS, ALTA------------------0.79
4) MEDICINE HAT A, ALTA----------0.8
5) LETHBRIDGE CDA, ALTA----------0.82
6) GEM, ALTA---------------------0.82
7) BINDLOSS EAST, ALTA-----------0.83
8) VAUXHALL NORTH, ALTA----------0.83
9) EMPRESS, ALTA-----------------0.83
10) ACADIA VALLEY MACTAVISH, ALTA-0.83
11) ATLEE, ALTA-------------------0.84

12) WILLOW CREEK, SASK------------0.85
13) ABBEY, SASK-------------------0.85

14) KAMLOOPS A, BC --------------0.85
15) TREELON, SASK-----------------0.85
16) ALTAWAN, ALTA-----------------0.85
17) ALSASK HARDENE, SASK----------0.85
18) ESTON, SASK-------------------0.86
19) OYEN CAPPON, ALTA-------------0.86
20) INGEBRIGHT LAKE, SASK---------0.89
21) JENNER, ALTA------------------0.91
22) SIBBALD WESTGARD, ALTA--------0.91

23) CORONACH SPC, SASK------------0.93
24) GLEICHEN, ALTA----------------0.93
25) SIBBALD, ALTA-----------------0.93

26) SHAMROCK, SASK----------------0.93
27) CARDSTON, ALTA----------------0.93
28) OSOYOOS WEST, BC ------------0.93
29) TABER, ALTA-------------------0.93
30) PICTURE BUTTE WEST, ALTA------0.94
Last edited by Glacier on Apr 25th, 2014, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

HA! I'm off of work for two weeks starting Sunday, hate to rain on your parade!

Oh wait...
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I wonder how Queenie is enjoying this weather.

Change is in the air, so enjoy it while it lasts!

Changeiscoming.png
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Which coincidences nicely with my DAYS OFF.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I saw a couple of people with good sunburns this week. This is because the UV index was quite high. Note that it was 5.8 at 1:34 this afternoon.

Todaysweather.png
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Yesterday's hot spots:
1) Ashcroft = 30.3
2) Port Alberni = 29.6
3) Lytton = 29.5
4) Pemberton = 29.4
5) Princeton = 29.2
6) Pitt Meadows = 29.1
7) Merritt = 29 (estimate)

P.S. The Chilcotin (Tatlayoko Lake) was 26.2 yesterday, -1 this morning, and is forecast to have snow tomorrow.

PPS. Okanagan (and there abouts) Temperatures from yesterday:
Princeton = 29.2
Merritt = 29
Trail = 28.4
Osoyoos = 27.7
Kamloops = 27.3
Grand Forks = 27.1 (grammafreddy slips me 5 bucks)
Lumby = 25.9
Penticton = 25.6
Kelowna = 25.1
Vernon = 23.4
Summerland = 23.8
Nakusp = 21.4
Nelson = 21.1
Salmon Arm = 20.8
Revelstoke = 20.4
- Douglas Murray
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

pretty warm this morning in Greater Victoria at 18 degrees at 9:30. As of 7am this morning our high was suppose to be 17.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It had better rain tomorrow, I cancelled my yard sale due to the weather prediction and now I want it to RAIN. POUR DOWN damn it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:It had better rain tomorrow, I cancelled my yard sale due to the weather prediction and now I want it to RAIN. POUR DOWN damn it.

There. Happy now? :/
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

On the plus side, at least it's only rain. I just saw this picture on a friend's FB page today (yes, that white stuff is snow)...

- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Glacier wrote:Grand Forks = 27.1 (grammafreddy slips me 5 bucks)

Gramma takes back her 5 bucks because it was over 30 yesterday afternoon. Too humid so turned on the A/C. Yikes!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No I was NOT happy with this mornings rain, however the plants were, it was so dry out there. I see broken cloud on the horizon however.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

There is actual sun out there! I may get to do some outdoor chores after all. The weather is usually pretty changeable this time of year, isn't it Glacier? That old "wait 5 minutes" aphorism and all?

Return to “B.C.”