Weather Appreciation

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Weather Appreciation

Post by tsayta »

My tire chains are going back into storage
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:laugh: You've just jinxed us! And I need NO Snow til Monday at least.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I'm EVIL
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:1422: Very very bad! I appreciate that there was no rain today at the very least. But snow is creeping down the mountains. Your job is to keep it up there, k?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Kk
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

45 years ago this month was the mother of all months in our area in terms of snowfall. It was the only month on record where Kelowna received over 100cm of snow in a single month. It snowed for 27 of the month's 31 days! The airport had 131 cm while downtown Kelowna had 129 cm. The 2nd largest snowfall at the airport was back in 1992 when the airport received 78 cm of snow.

The entire valley bottom was hammered with deep snow. Even the warmest locations by the lakes like Peachland, Penticton, and Osoyoos had 95 to 97 cm of snow. Climbing out of the very valley bottom a little bit added to that. Vernon had 140 cm and Armstrong had up to 160 cm! It was even worse in Kamloops where it's normally a lot drier than the Okanagan. The Kamloops airport which had never seen more than 58 cm in a month recorded just shy of 120 cm in 1971! Quenel beat the old record by 18 cm with 118 cm for the month, and Alexis Creek set the all time Chilcotin December record with 104cm for the month.

Perhaps the most impressive record of all was Campbell River because it record 234 cm of snow for the month, which becomes really impressive when you consider the fact that this Vancouver Island city has never recorded 100cm before or since 1971. Closer to home, Nakusp also managed over 200 cm for the month for the first and last time.
Last edited by Glacier on Dec 2nd, 2016, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

and the summer of 1972 it flooded in my hometown! :D this picture is taken from the end of my driveway looking north. you can see the water had gone down some already. That's highway 97 by the way. I could row a boat down the highway.

Tonasket flood.jpg
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Glacier wrote:45 years ago this month was the mother of all months in our area in terms of snowfall. It was the only month on record where Kelowna received over 100cm of snow in a single month. It snowed for 27 of the month's 31 days! The airport had 131 cm while downtown Kelowna had 129 cm. The 2nd largest snowfall at the airport was back in 1992 when the airport received 78 cm of snow.

The entire valley bottom was hammered with deep snow. Even the warmest locations by the lakes like Peachland, Penticton, and Osoyoos had 95 to 97 cm of snow. Climbing out of the very valley bottom a little bit added to that. Vernon had 140 cm and Armstrong had up to 160 cm! It was even worse in Kamloops where it's normally a lot drier than the Okanagan. The Kamloops airport which had never seen more than 58 cm in a month recorded just shy of 120 cm in 1971! Quenel beat the old record by 18 cm with 118 cm for the month, and Alexis Creek set the all time Chilcotin December record with 104cm for the month.

Perhaps the most impressive record of all was Campbell River because it record 234 cm of snow for the month, which becomes really impressive when you consider the fact that this Vancouver Island city has never recorded 100cm before or since 1971. Closer to home, Nakusp also managed over 200 cm for the month for the first and last time.

It's starting to get cold now - is this the cold front you were talking bout before?

Also, are we going to continue to get the precipitation? I wouldn't mind a little snow, but I don't want to get snowed in like you just described.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Lady tehMa wrote:It's starting to get cold now - is this the cold front you were talking bout before?

Also, are we going to continue to get the precipitation? I wouldn't mind a little snow, but I don't want to get snowed in like you just described.

Yes, this is the cold. It should warm up a bit and snow later in the week, but still cold. There is potential for a huge snowfall in Vancouver on Thursday. We won't get huge amounts, but maybe 5 to 10 cm at higher elevations.

P.S. I got snow today. About 2 cm. Just rain at the lower elevations of Vernon though.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Some jaw dropping stats for last month.
1) For entire Fall (Sept-Nov), Erieau, ON averaged 14.8C, which is the warmest Fall ever recorded anywhere in Canada.

2) No BC records for the entire season, but November was record warm in many places. The last time it was this warm was 1899.

KamloopsNov.png

3) It was the wettest November on record in Comox and Estevan Point.

EstevanPoint.png
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Ahhhh yes. The great November of 1899.i remember it well
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:Ahhhh yes. The great November of 1899.i remember it well

It was a few years before my time, but lady teMa told me that that you and ferri were just teenagers back then.
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'd appreciate snow to hold off until my next three days off in a row thanks :D
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Unless your 3 days starts today, well........good luck with that. May the force be with you.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Are we getting significant snow anywhere right now?

Return to “B.C.”