Weather Appreciation

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Weather Appreciation

Post by Queen K »

I'd appreciate a warming up please. :admin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

It's coming. Long term forecast is warm and dry
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I guarantee that July will be warmer than April.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

precipitationdayskelowna.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Glacier wrote:
precipitationdayskelowna.png

Does this chart appear to say we had 23 days of rain in the last year?
WW
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

It says we've been getting dumped on in 2017. :biggrin:

Days on left column with years at bottom (3yr increments), and each diamond shape represents the year noted at bottom. 2017 is the only one spiking beyond 20 days.

1993 comes in second wettest.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Weird. Seems like we've had way more rainy days than that
WW
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

tsayta wrote:Weird. Seems like we've had way more rainy days than that

Well there's only 30 days in April and it shows it rained 23 or 24 of them in the amount of at least 1mm.

That means there could have been some that looked like crap as well and maybe even spit or drizzled but not enough to make the chart.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Wrong. March-April is clearly in the header of the chart. 61 days for 2 months. Measurement of at least 1mm so days with a trace of precipitation do not count. There were a lot of days with under 1mm though. Add those in and it is really bleak.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

JagXKR wrote:Wrong. March-April is clearly in the header of the chart. 61 days for 2 months. Measurement of at least 1mm so days with a trace of precipitation do not count. There were a lot of days with under 1mm though. Add those in and it is really bleak.

My bad, you are right. :up: :digging:

Still way too much water for me. If I wanted this I'd live in England.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Joe Rich is having our own flooding concerns...no wonder Kelowna is 'filling up'...it's 'filling up' up here too!!!

No end in sight...
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Now for the map that shows what many have figured out. Very high snowpack in the south of BC. Big difference from last year.
Attachments
2016may.jpg
SnowIndexMapmay2017.jpg
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Interesting how 2017 is the complete reversal of 2007. In 2007 the Okanagan had the lowest snowpack in the province. Today, it's the highest.

2007snowpack.jpg
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

They may not fully realize it, but people living down the road from Ted Walker owe him a debt of gratitude.

Walker lives on 20th Street near 48th Avenue and he was up until the wee hours of Friday morning sandbagging and diverting a swollen BX Creek that was spilling its banks.

Walker's is the first house in the 4900 block of 20th Street and if had not been for the barrier on his property, several homes downstream would have been flooded by the morning.

Walker said some neighbours did come out and help fill sandbags to divert the raging waters.

Rocky Mountain Transport also helped out by placing several large cement blocks on the edge of Walker's driveway against which dozens of sandbags were placed, diverting a strong current that was flowing directly toward houses down the road.

While many people were breathing a sigh of relief that a predicted heavy rain storm did not unleash too much fury on the region, Walker is watching with nervous anticipation as BX Creek continues to rage.

The creek is fed from Silver Star Mountain which had a lot of snow this winter.

And that snow combined with the rain has turned the normally docile waterway into a frothing, raging river.

“This is terrible. I've never seen anything like it in the 10 years we've been here,” said Walker Friday morning. “We were sandbagging all night. We haven't slept.”

There is some water seeping into the basement of Walker's home, but he has removed all the furniture and he has set up pumps to get the water out.

Walker said the creek rose fairly quickly in the evening.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#196898
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Big changes at Environment Canada.
http://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.a ... E43B056B-1

BC-MesoRegions.jpg

Metro Vancouver

Previously, all municipalities within Metro Vancouver received the same weather forecasts and alerts. We now have the ability to provide more detailed forecasts and targeted alerts for the five following smaller regions:

• City of Vancouver - including Burnaby and New Westminster
  • North Shore - including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley

East Vancouver Island

The East Vancouver Island forecast region previously extended from south of Duncan all the way to north of Campbell River. Issuing a single weather forecast that covered all the expected weather conditions across such a vast area had often been a challenge for our meteorologists. In response to requests from the public and to provide more accurate forecasts for the communities along eastern Vancouver Island, we are now providing forecasts and alerts for the following three smaller regions:

• East Vancouver Island – Courtenay to Campbell River
  • East Vancouver Island – Nanoose Bay to Fanny Bay
  • East Vancouver Island – Duncan to Nanaimo

Fraser Valley

The Fraser Valley forecast region extends from Abbotsford to Hope and is often subdivided into two sections: western Fraser Valley including Abbotsford and eastern Fraser Valley including Hope. Weather conditions along the west-east valley are often very different particularly between Chilliwack and Hope. We have created a new “Fraser Valley - central including Chilliwack” forecast region so that our forecasts are more reflective of conditions in the central Fraser valley. The Fraser Valley will now have the following three regions:

• Fraser Valley - west including Abbotsford
  • Fraser Valley - east including Hope
  • Fraser Valley - central including Chilliwack

Fraser Canyon

The Fraser Canyon forecast region previously extended from Yale in the south to Lillooet in the north. Typically, climate conditions are much wetter over southern sections so we have now divided the region into the following two smaller regions:

• Fraser Canyon - north including Lillooet
  • Fraser Canyon - south including Lytton

Sunshine Coast

The Sunshine Coast forecast region previously extended from Gibsons in the south to Lund in the north. In order to provide more accurate forecasts for the two sections of the Sunshine Coast separated by Jervis Inlet, the region has been separated into the two following smaller regions:

• Sunshine Coast - Gibsons to Earls Cove
  • Sunshine Coast - Saltery Bay to Powell River

North Coast – Inland

Weather conditions over inland sections of the North Coast were previously covered by one large forecast region extending from Kitimat in the south up to Stewart in the north. In an effort to provide more tailored forecasts and alerts for the various communities, the region has been subdivided into the three following smaller regions:

• North Coast – inland including Stewart
  • North Coast – inland including Terrace
  • North Coast – inland including Kitimat

http://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.a ... E43B056B-1
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”