Weather Appreciation

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Weather Appreciation

Post by Glacier »

Oops! Yes, warmer is what I meant. These are the average daily lows. Whitehorse is warmer than many places further south than even Kelowna. Places like Winterpeg and places in Minnesota, North Dakota, Maine, Idaho, Colorado, and Wyoming. When you factor in the fact that there is very little wind in the Yukon, the climate is probably better than anywhere in Canada east of the Rockies and west of the Great Lakes. Winters are still pretty cold and dark, which is why I'd take your RV up there in the summer instead. I have been up there three times in the summer and loved it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Glacier wrote: Winters are still pretty cold and dark, which is why I'd take your RV up there in the summer instead. I have been up there three times in the summer and loved it.

And lots of pure DEET!!!!!!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote: When you factor in the fact that there is very little wind in the Yukon, the climate is probably better than anywhere in Canada east of the Rockies and west of the Great Lakes. Winters are still pretty cold and dark, which is why I'd take your RV up there in the summer instead. I have been up there three times in the summer and loved it.

Whitehorse was definitely a very cool place to visit; even in September …

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Awesome drive along the Alaska Highway …

(if you haven’t seen my photos before, I like bridges)
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Gotta sleep sometime tho …

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So cool SL, thanks for sharing. You're making me miss road trips you know.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hey Steven, Very nice pictures. I especially like the one of the Teslin bridge. I didn't take a picture there because the sun was at the wrong angle. A friend of mine owns a resort near Haines Junction that butts right up against Kluane National Park. We took a trip into the park. Awesome scenery there. One of the most beautiful spots in Canada if you ask me.

Click on this first image to see the full shot.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Great pictures Glacier. Here’s my Grizzly Bear picture.

Caught in the act fishing. It was taken in Hyder, Alaska
– which gives me an excuse to post a couple of pictures of Hyder, Alaska …

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Thanx for those pics guys! Especially liked the Welcome to Alaska one at Hyder. Never been there but the pic reminded me of so many places I have been in this Province. The signage was irrelevant. The flavor and fond memories were there.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Hyder (US) is just a stones throw across the border from Atlin (Canadian). You have to appreciate that the average precipitation in Atlin is only about 12 inches per year because it is in a little pocket on the east side of a large range of coastal mountains that drain most of the water out of the weather systems before they reach Atlin.

Atlin is a beautiful little old mining town with miles of old overgrown hiking trails to cabins that aspen and poplar trees have reclaimed. Situated on Atlin Lake with an island view that could be mistaken for Hawaii. One of Canada's best kept secrets.
Last edited by Donald G on Jul 27th, 2015, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

At one time the Canal Trading Post is where a newcomer in town went to get "Hyderized" by drinking a glass of everclear and eating the small worm at the bottom of the glass. Haircuts were given by having the client sit on a kitchen chair in the middle of what used to be a fair sized dance floor. Sometimes the "barber" was whoever was available. The bar was along one wall and notes from one person to another were left posted on another of the walls. Sometimes signed money as well. Different era. Different way of life.

People obviously did not like the Tax Free (Hyder) and Taxed (Atlin) being so close together because they blew up the building at the border crossing one night when no one was around.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Donald G, have you been drinking again? Atlin and Hyder are 460 km apart as the crow flies! That's further than the distance between Kelowna and the Oregon border, and further than Kelowna to the west coast of Vancouver Island where they 6,000 mm of precipitation in a year! That's 20 feet of rain.

In my view, Atlin should be part of the Yukon because the only road out of town heads straight up to the Yukon. Heck, the last time I was in Dawson City, I was reading a tourist brochure on Yukon communities, and it had Atlin in it with the title, "Atlin - an unofficial Yukon town."

I believe you meant Stewart, not Atlin. Stewart and Hyder are very wet. In fact, Stewart is one of the wettest towns in Canada.

Nice pictures, Steven. I'll get around to posting a few more later. If you've never been to Dawson City, I highly recommend a visit next time you're up that way.
- Douglas Murray
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote: Nice pictures, Steven. I'll get around to posting a few more later. If you've never been to Dawson City, I highly recommend a visit next time you're up that way.

Nope, never got as far as Dawson City (I wish) and don't see me making it up that way again - unfortunately. Did make it to Atlin though. As you know one has to drive along the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse and turn down back into BC from the top northwest corner of the province (many, many miles from Hyder and Stewart).

Pictures of Atlin Lake.

Atlin Library (courthouse), Trading Post and Bakery …

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You're killing me, you know that right? LOL. Great photos.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Glacier ...

You are right. It is Stewart and Hyder that are a long stones throw apart. IMO they do not hold a candle to Atlin. Years ago I spent a few weeks working in both Canadian towns in both summer and winter. I believe that the old RCMP logbook from the early days is still available at the Museum in Stewart. The RCMP member from Stewart had to cover any crimes in Hyder until the Alaskan State police got there ... sometimes a few days later.

Return to “B.C.”