Weather Appreciation

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Weather Appreciation

Post by Glacier »

March saw 50% less snow than normal in the Okanagan, but many parts of Canada record amounts. The praires were particularly hard hit. Edmonton shattered their old record by almost 20 cm, while Midale, Saskatchewan, broke their old record originally set way back in the middle of the "Dirty Thirties." Canada's driest place, Eureka, Nunavut, also broke a record for March with a whopping 12 cm of snow.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

It's snowing here right now.

I suppose this is the wrong thread to post in. "Weather Appreciation"
Your bias suits you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't know about that. I was out cross-country skiing today, and appreciating the snowy weather. :spinball:
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'd appreciate a warm up!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

QK!

Post by Lady tehMa »

It's warm enough that we have rain, not snow. I don't think I'll complain too much - think of your barrels QK!
I haven't failed until I quit.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I woke up to the sound of a snow plow going by this morning.

:nukeem:
Your bias suits you.
phoenix 2000

Post by phoenix 2000 »

Okanagians are blessed..record low temp in Regina this morning, -28 with wind chill. It'll be ages before all the snow is gone, and much longer yet before the earth dries up enough to get into gardens or fields. Enjoy Kelowna's climate!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Venn diagram for you all...

vennKelowna.png
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Okanagan has now had 10 days in a row with rain (although Peachland is the only place that has rained each of those days). Interesting, Peachland has been the driest spot of the places listed below. Penticton has been the wettest, even though it has had the most days without any rain (3 of the past 10).

Rain totals from April 4th to April 13th
    Penticton = 33.0 mm
    Lumby = 28.6 mm
    West Kelowna = 28.0 mm
    Vernon = 24.9 mm
    Kelowna = 22.4 mm
    Peachland = 19.7 mm

April2013-ok.JPG
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Again, where is the warm up? This is crazy!!!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Spring 2013 Install.jpg
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Sunshine records began in BC in 1957.

About 100 different places in the province measured sunshine at one point or another, but today there are only 3 left: Vancouver, Victoria, and Comox.

Only 12 places ever recorded 1000 or more hours of sunshine during the summer (June, July, and August). Victoria and Williams Lake are the only places to record 1000 hours multiple times:

VICTORIA GONZALES HTS = 1063.6 hours in 1957 (1000+ hours were also recorded in 1960, 1966, 1976, and 1986)
    VICTORIA INT'L A = 1060.6 hours in 1984
    VERNON SOUTHWEST = 1055.7 hours in 1966
    SUMMERLAND CDA = 1040.5 hours in 1966
    WILLIAMS LAKE A = 1040.2 hours in 1966 (also, 1009.1 hours were recorded in 1960)
    KAMLOOPS A = 1039.7 hours in 1966
    SATURNA ISLAND CS = 1031.1 hours in 1984
    TRAIL TADANAC 1009.7 1966 hours in 1966
    PRINCE GEORGE A = 1007.1 hours in 1960
    FORT ST JOHN A = 1006.5 hours in 1966
    VERNON = 1004.4 hours in 1978
    ARRAS = 1001.1 hours in 1980

Two places in BC have recorded less than 1000 hours for the entire year, Prince Rupert (not the airport) and Stewart. In 1975 Stewart only recorded 824 hours the entire year. Stewart, the least sunny place in Canada, averages less than 1000 hours of sunshine per year.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Below is a list of the most extreme amounts of sunshine ever recorded in BC.

Notes:
  • I'm calling the Victoria airport "North Saanich" because that's where it is located.
  • The table shows extremes, not averages. There is some correlation, but not totally. For example, the sunniest winter ever occurred in Abbotsford, but Puntzi Mountain is definitely the sunniest place in the province on average during the winter.
  • The only reason Moresby Island is not listed as the least sunny place is because it does not have a complete year's worth of data. Therefore, Stewart is the least sunny place in BC.
  • The higher elevations of the Okanagan are very sunny in the Fall. McCulloch holds the record for the most sunshine ever recorded in BC in the Fall.
  • Vernon and Summerland get the most sunshine in the Okanagan due in part because of the lack of tall hills surrounding both places.
  • The sunniest year ever recorded in BC is still not as sunny as an average year in Medicine Hat, Alberta (Canada's sunniest spot).
  • Fort Nelson and Fort St John clearly dominate the Spring in terms of sunshine. Spring is defined as Mar through May.
  • It's interesting how Hope gets such little sun in the winter while Abbotsford and Agassiz get so much.

sunniest-leastsunny.png
- Douglas Murray
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Glacier, as a person who appreciates useless facts and information, please keep it coming!!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

dreamon wrote:Glacier, as a person who appreciates useless facts and information, please keep it coming!!

Cool, at least someone likes them... Here is one for you. The average number of hours of bright sunshine during the winter (Dec, Jan, Feb).

Notes:
    The Okanagan doesn't get much in the winter, but as you can see many other areas get even less!
    Hope gets the least amount of sunshine in the province.
    Only 85 locations existed, so some of the inlets such as the on on the Queen Charlottes get even less than hope, but they don't have enough data to be used on this map. Only places with 4 or more years were used.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”