Weather Appreciation

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Weather Appreciation

Post by Glacier »

diurnaltemperaturevariation1.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tempelevation2.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Very dry last month. In fact, it was the driest May on record in Vancouver with a mere 1.3mm at the airport!

TSAWWASSEN was even drier with 0.8mm for the month.

Top 10 driest places in BC in May:

TSAWWASSEN =0.8 mm
LYTTON=1.2
VANCOUVER (INTL A) =1.3
RICHMOND =2.0
HOWE SOUND - PAM ROCKS = 2.2
KAMLOOPS = 2.4
ENTRANCE ISLAND = 2.4
SATURNA ISLAND = 3.0
VICTORIA (INTL A) = 3.4
OOTSA LAKE- SKINS LAKE = 3.9

In the Okanagan it was also quite dry compared to the average, but still some of the wettest places in the province:
22.5 at Kelowna
27.0 at Summerland
30.4 at Penticton
33.2 at Vernon
35.8 at Osoyoos

A few places were quite wet:
Kitmat = 267.4 mm
Prince Rupert = 136.3 mm
Terrace = 57.5 mm
Castlegar = 50.4 mm
Tofino = 42.2 mm (a lot drier than normal)
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Took a ride on the wine train yesterday. The cool weather was perfect for being cooped up in a tin box with a bunch of local tourists. Had way too much fun, amazing food and beverages and after a couple wine tastings, everyone was in a celebratory mood. If you've never taken a ride on the old kvr out of Summerland, this is a perfect time of year to do it. Cheers!
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Just curious.....What's the cost? How long is the trip? Do I have to make arrangements for a safe ride home to Kelowna? (Sounds like it).
Bring back the LIKE button.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

alanjh595 wrote:Just curious.....What's the cost? How long is the trip? Do I have to make arrangements for a safe ride home to Kelowna? (Sounds like it).

Two hours in the tent eating and sampling wine and cider's, then an hour and a half on the train. I took it easy once I was on the train and it seems like lot of people did the same despite the wineries walking up and down the aisle with more to offer. Didn't see anyone get sloppy drunk which was another reason it was a lot of fun.

The cost was $150 per person but once there you don't spend a cent. A bit pricey i suppose but we'll worth doing once per year as we intend to do.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Poindexter wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Just curious.....What's the cost? How long is the trip? Do I have to make arrangements for a safe ride home to Kelowna? (Sounds like it).

Two hours in the tent eating and sampling wine and cider's, then an hour and a half on the train. I took it easy once I was on the train and it seems like lot of people did the same despite the wineries walking up and down the aisle with more to offer. Didn't see anyone get sloppy drunk which was another reason it was a lot of fun.

The cost was $150 per person but once there you don't spend a cent. A bit pricey i suppose but we'll worth doing once per year as we intend to do.

Thanks for the info. My issue would be with the drive and time it takes to get to and from Kelowna.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Which is good to be aware of. Was only 30 minutes from West Kelowna so an hour at the most from Kelowna. Lots of food and it's no different than going wine tasting, just that they're all in one place. Like I said, have an hour and half on the train to sober up from the minor buzz you might get from drinking samples under the tent.

http://wp.bottleneckdrive.com
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Rain over the weekend:

Osoyoos = 21.9 mm
Penticton = 13.4 mm
Summerland = 11.2 mm
Kelowna (airport) = 9.4 mm
Kelowna (UBCO) = 10.0 mm
Vernon = 26.1 mm
Glacier's house = 20.6 mm
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Today's interesting fact:

Wettest Day of the year in 2016 in BC for major weather stations:

1) Port Mellon = 163.3 mm
2) Estevan Point = 149.2 mm
3) Cathedral Point = 106.8 mm
4) Bella Coola = 105.8 mm
5) Bella Bella = 104.5 mm
6) Squamish = 100.6 mm
7) Dawson Creek = 89.8 mm

Wettest day of the year for stations that NEVER recorded 20mm even once in 2016:
1) Vernon = 14.1 mm
2) Quesnel = 15.8 mm
3) Ashcroft = 17.2 mm
4) Clinton = 17.6 mm
5) Kamloops = 18.1 mm
6) Smithers = 18.3 mm
7) Dease Lake = 18.8 mm

Wettest Day of the year in 2017 in BC for major weather stations:

1) Cathedral Point = 134.8 mm
2) Port Mellon = 124 mm
3) Cumshewa Island = 93 mm
4) Sartine = 91.8 mm
5) Estevan Point = 87.9 mm
6) Callaghan Valley = 85.1 mm
7) Hope = 84.4 mm
8) Port Alberni = 80.5 mm
9) Bella Coola = 79.3 mm
10) Squamish = 79.1 mm
11) Terrace = 76.1 mm
12) Vancouver = 73.2 mm
13) West Vancaouver = 73.1 mm
14) Port Hardy = 71.4 mm
15) Smithers = 70.7 mm

Wettest day of the year for stations that NEVER recorded 20mm even once in 2017:
1) Kamloops A = 10.8 mm
2) Ashcroft = 11.8 mm
3) Dease Lake = 12.8 mm
4) Kelowna = 14 mm
5) Clinton = 14.1 mm
6) Golden = 14.5 mm
7) Fort St. James = 17.1 mm
8) Summerland = 17.6 mm
9) WilliamsLake = 18 mm
10) Puntzi = 18.5 mm
11) Penticton = 18.8 mm
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

How the average annual maximum temperature changes as you go up the Fraser River...

frasertemps.png
- Douglas Murray
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

I presume that the higher up hwy 16 you go, the lower that line goes
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

perspicacious wrote:I presume that the higher up hwy 16 you go, the lower that line goes

No. Prince George is the coldest place along the Fraser River because it's the most northern town. As you go upriver to Crescent Spur, McBride, and Tête Jaune Cache/Valemount, the temperature warms in the winter months because it's further south. The summer temperatures might cool as you go up river, but the warmer winter temperatures more than make up the difference.

The interesting thing about the lower Robson Valley is that it has the most number of days with precipitation in all of Canada in July! The peak is at Crescent Spur which averages 21.8 days with precipitation in July.
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Not Appreciating this COLD beginning to October July. :cuss:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Queen K wrote:Not Appreciating this COLD beginning to October July. :cuss:

Sure, but then there's the other extreme. Southern Cali breaking records like there's... (oh, I better not say it.)

hot.jpg

Frankly, I'll take unsettled over that kind of hot bubble any day.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Return to “B.C.”