RCMP vs Provincial Police

twobits
Guru

RCMP vs Provincial Police

Post by twobits »

With the latest RCMP kick in the face, there were calls in today's Herald for a move to Provincial Police instead of the RCMP. It was pointed out that since we are now in the midst of negotiating a new 20 yr contract, the time is right. Anyone have any thoughts on the pro's and con's?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: RCMP vs Provincial Police

Post by Relentless »

We need 2 police forces, one Federal, and one Municipal.
The Feds can babysit the real criminals, druggies gangsters etc.
The Municipal force can babysit all the anti-law abiding citizens that are destroying our neighborhoods.
Money from babysitting can be used to offset the cost of a Provincial/Municipal force.

Anything is better then a Federal dictatorship.
We need accountability in our Police force, as well as with residents.
Right now, everything is simply the biggest mess ever.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I unfortunately have lost all respect for the RCMP this past year. They appear to be nothing but thugs in uniform these days.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I would not have any problem with BC setting-up, Provincial Police force, as like OPP. The one thing I would like to see is much more effective screening process. With all levels of Policing in Canada, which would I hope include extensive phycological testing.

Those who do pass do not become officers period, at any level of Policing.

With re-testing every 5 years +/-.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I think any city or municipality can choose to opt out of the RCMP. How else would one explain Vancouver, New Westminister, Nelson etc with their own police dept's. How many more city's have an independant police dept? I read in the Penticton Herald a few months ago that the reason we have the RCMP more than independant dept's is the cost. It was said in the paper, and I quote "The RCMP is the Wallmart of policing". I am supposing that this has something to do with economies of scale, but am also thinking there must be some economies of scale on a Provincial scale as well. One thing seems clear lately though, we appear to be getting Wallmart type product along with the cost savings and I personally don't think it's worth it. After five decades of living here, I find I have lost complete respect for them. That is not a good statment to be making about one's police force especially from an old fart like me.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
irish61
Fledgling

Post by irish61 »

I think any Police, wether they are RCMP or like the City of Vancouver's, are under so much stress with all the craziness of people on crack and other kinds of drugs and how much more violent people are getting that they no longer can rely on old fashioned policing. They are reacting before thinking because if they don't, it's them that will be killed. We are not looking after the people with drug/alcohol/mental problems anymore and they are out there harming themselves and the people of the public in extreme ways. But that's a whole new thread I'm sure! It's a world going mad!! :purefury:
Yvon Dagger

Post by Yvon Dagger »

We should form a provincial force. Get better community policing. Get citizens proud to see the BCPP emblem on their (officers) jackets. Get rid of this militarized training in Regina. We are in Canada here. Go to college to become a cop for Petes' sake. Get a unionized BPCC force. Officers will be protected from their sometimes less then capable commanding officers. From what I see in the Okanagan , or do not see, actually, are police patrols, except on main streets. Officers talking to people, except after the bar closures, where they hang out. Might be a cool cop thing , I don't know. Oh, and why is there no speed limits on BC highways. I keep seeing signs, but as soon as I see one , I get passed by 5 cars doing 20 over... The odds are in your favor speeders. And most RCMP members are arrogant. Ask any BC municipal cop. See what he tells you. Enough is enough ! Get our BCPP back. We've tried RCMP for 61 years now and they are not delivering the service as they should. Last thing... Isn't is ironic that Ontario don't use RCMP...they have their own OPP. Hmmm...???
Last edited by Yvon Dagger on Nov 19th, 2011, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I'm having a hard time with the attitude coming from Ottawa in regards to the RCMP's new contract also. Considering that all that many of RCMP policed communities really want is accountability, weather it be fiscal or conduct of their members ,The attitude is indeed a slap in the face..

Time to move to any alternative that will deliver what "the people" want. The RCMP just don't want to .......
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

What people don't realize is that at this time The RCMP are at their very best behavior. Simply because they're trying to get that new 20 year contract............... And they still show Arrogance toward their employers. The Cities and the province of British Columbia.

I actually believe the federal government Does not want the RCMP to show financial accountability And certainly does not want Any accountability for their many actions of misconduct......

A provincial British Columbia force That is completely accountable To the province is what's needed....

If RCMP members want to join, They must be held accountable to the new code of conduct ......
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Do any of those posting wanting Provincial Police have any knowledge on this topic?? Have you ever lived in a community with a Municipal department?

The discussion should be Municipal Police or RCMP. You will find Municipal Police are as well trained as RCMP. You further require officers to be trained paramilitary as that is how it works. If we put a bunch of you in uniform, failure for sure!! Sorry. That’s just how it is.

One of the last goof ups the Feds made was placing a civilian in charge, this joker had no idea how to run the RCMP that was a huge error!!!
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Yvon Dagger wrote:Last thing... Isn't is ironic that Ontario don't use RCMP...they have their own OPP. Hmmm...???

What's so ironic about that?

Isn't it interesting that only Ontario, Quebec and Newfoundland have Provincial Police forces. The majority of Canadian provinces and territories do not. Not to say that just because most don't we shouldn't, but what is the reason most don't?
Last edited by goatboy on Oct 23rd, 2011, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

grumpydigger wrote:What people don't realize is that at this time The RCMP are at their very best behavior. Simply because they're trying to get that new 20 year contract............... And they still show Arrogance toward their employers. The Cities and the province of British Columbia.

I actually believe the federal government Does not want the RCMP to show financial accountability And certainly does not want Any accountability for their many actions of misconduct......

A provincial British Columbia force That is completely accountable To the province is what's needed....

If RCMP members want to join, They must be held accountable to the new code of conduct ......

Municipal police are held accountable by a Police Commission, which is made up of persons in the community.

They work with the Police and do make the Chief accountable for the Police Department. Provincial police is another story and really the changes would not be very different to the current RCMP system.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

If a new provincial force was put in place.....There certainly could be changes made To the system For accountability....

Nobody says, that we have to Just follow an old System that certainly needs upgrading......

The RCMP has showed us what not to do, To gain Accountability and respect

In other words,Learn from their mistakes And build a system from the ground up that is going to work..........
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

grumpydigger wrote:If a new provincial force was put in place.....There certainly could be changes made To the system For accountability....

Nobody says, that we have to Just follow an old System that certainly needs upgrading......

The RCMP has showed us what not to do, To gain Accountability and respect

In other words,Learn from their mistakes And build a system from the ground up that is going to work..........
You really think there will be a system built from the ground up? I don't think so. It will be built from what's already been proven to work.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

You actually THINK that a force such as the VPD is more 'accountable' and better able to police the streets than the RCMP???

Do some reading about the Stanley Cup riots and the 'accountability' there as a prime example. What a JOKE!
Chill

Return to “B.C.”