RCMP vs Provincial Police

goatboy
Guru

Re: RCMP vs Provincial Police

Post by goatboy »

You know what would cut down on traffic crimes? Harsher penalties. In Nova Scotia, if you get a speeding ticket, you lose your license for 7 days plus a monetary fine. You know how many people speed back there? Hardly any and there is no more traffic officers out there doing enforcement than there is here.
is winter over
Fledgling

Post by is winter over »

goatboy wrote:You know what would cut down on traffic crimes? Harsher penalties. In Nova Scotia, if you get a speeding ticket, you lose your license for 7 days plus a monetary fine. You know how many people speed back there? Hardly any and there is no more traffic officers out there doing enforcement than there is here.

True but you have to be doing 50km/hr over the limit 7 day suspension and $2400 fine. BC its 40km over the limit car is impounded plus fine
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

is winter over wrote:
goatboy wrote:You know what would cut down on traffic crimes? Harsher penalties. In Nova Scotia, if you get a speeding ticket, you lose your license for 7 days plus a monetary fine. You know how many people speed back there? Hardly any and there is no more traffic officers out there doing enforcement than there is here.

True but you have to be doing 50km/hr over the limit 7 day suspension and $2400 fine. BC its 40km over the limit car is impounded plus fine

No, the 7 day suspension is for ANY speeding ticket.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

goatboy wrote:
is winter over wrote:

Another urban myth debunked : http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv/handbook/dh-chapter1.pdf

Page 30 - All Others (not learner or newly licensed driver) Warning letter 4 points, Interview 6 pts, 6 mos suspension 10 pts.

Page 29 - Speeding in excess of 31 km/hr 4 points, excess of 16 to 30 3 points, exess of 1 to 15 km/hr 2 points, etc
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

my5cents wrote:
goatboy wrote:
is winter over wrote:

Another urban myth debunked : http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv/handbook/dh-chapter1.pdf

Page 30 - All Others (not learner or newly licensed driver) Warning letter 4 points, Interview 6 pts, 6 mos suspension 10 pts.

Page 29 - Speeding in excess of 31 km/hr 4 points, excess of 16 to 30 3 points, exess of 1 to 15 km/hr 2 points, etc

We're actually both wrong. You lose your license for 7 days if your speed is 15km+ over the limit.

Look at schedule 1, page 4 "Speeding Charges" This is the back of the speeding ticket you get in NS. Section 106(A) is the section for speeding. 106(A)a is 1-15km over, which does not carry a license suspension, 106(A)b is 15-30km over and 106(A)c is 30+km/hr.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/regulations/sots/NSSOTbooklet.pdf
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

BC reaches tentative deal with RCMP
by Castanet Staff - Story: 67947
Nov 30, 2011 / 2:44 pm

Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Shirley Bond has announced today that the Province of British Columbia has reached agreement-in-principle with Public Safety Canada regarding a new contract for RCMP services in British Columbia.

The proposed agreement reflects a new partnership based on transparency and mutual benefits. It contains greater financial accountability and measures to monitor and contain costs over time.

Through a new proposed Contract Management Committee (CMC), the Province and Canada will jointly oversee how the RCMP delivers police services and how costs are managed. Municipalities will be represented on the CMC.

The Province will also be establishing a new local government advisory committee so that municipalities have a continued voice as the agreement is implemented.

In the days ahead, the contract details will be shared with the Union of British Columbia Municipalities and shared publicly when appropriate. The tentative agreement contains important new management provisions and includes a two-year opt-out clause and a five-year review.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Fancy wrote:
BC reaches tentative deal with RCMP
by Castanet Staff - Story: 67947
Nov 30, 2011 / 2:44 pm

Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Shirley Bond has announced today that the Province of British Columbia has reached agreement-in-principle with Public Safety Canada regarding a new contract for RCMP services in British Columbia.

The proposed agreement reflects a new partnership based on transparency and mutual benefits. It contains greater financial accountability and measures to monitor and contain costs over time.

Through a new proposed Contract Management Committee (CMC), the Province and Canada will jointly oversee how the RCMP delivers police services and how costs are managed. Municipalities will be represented on the CMC.

The Province will also be establishing a new local government advisory committee so that municipalities have a continued voice as the agreement is implemented.

In the days ahead, the contract details will be shared with the Union of British Columbia Municipalities and shared publicly when appropriate. The tentative agreement contains important new management provisions and includes a two-year opt-out clause and a five-year review.

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else on castanet but it appears the tentative new deal will also be coming with a new police watchdog agency.

VANCOUVER - British Columbia is getting its long-anticipated civilian-led police watchdog off the ground with an American at its helm who has developed a reputation as being tough but fair in scrutinizing cases of apparent police wrongdoing.

The premier announced the appointment of Richard Rosenthal on Wednesday as she followed through on legislation aimed at answering critics who have slammed the practice of police investigating police.

Rosenthal, who has set up similar agencies in two U.S. cities, will lead the Independent Investigations Office that will probe incidents in which police officers seriously injure or kill someone.

Chiefs of police in B.C. and senior RCMP officials have called for the office as a measure to restore public confidence in a province that has been at the centre of a variety of high-profile, police-involved deaths.

"I was referred to in Portland at one point as a 'pro-police moderate.' The idea is I want the police to succeed," Rosenthal told reporters at a news conference in Vancouver.

"So the people of the province can have faith that their officers are doing the job that is expected. And if there is a problem, if there is misconduct ... they will be held accountable."

The body fulfills a key recommendation from retired judge Thomas Braidwood's report into the October 2007 death of Robert Dziekanski, who died after being stunned by an RCMP Taser at Vancouver's airport. The four officers who confronted the Polish man will face trial for perjury starting next year, the result of a massive, year-long inquiry.

Rosenthal's background includes 15 years as deputy district attorney for Los Angeles County. In 2001, he was hired as Portland's first director of the independent police review division and then was hired in 2005 for a similar role in Denver.

One of the reforms Rosenthal introduced in the U.S. was a policy of terminating officers who lied in the course of internal investigations. He also prompted stricter action against Denver officers stopped for drinking and driving, after concluding some were letting fellow cops off the hook

Rosenthal's scope won't be nearly so broad in B.C., but under the Police Act he will have the same power as police forces. He said Wednesday his goal is to conduct impartial, timely investigations in a transparent manner.

Media reports from Denver characterize him as a straight shooter who found himself in the crosshairs of the local police union.

The organization sought to replace him following a series of police officer firings as discipline for misconduct. Six officers were fired in 2011 and three in 2010, according to the Denver Post.

"Unlike some of the (oversight) bodies that have gone wrong before, the one that he was involved with didn't have any inappropriate union ties in the States," said Michael Kempa, a University of Ottawa criminology associate professor who specializes in police oversight.

Ontario has used an arms-length civilian watchdog to conduct investigations into police-involved deaths since 1990, but it has come under fire in recent years for an overly-friendly attitude towards police.

Kempa said police governance can be tricky, especially in an era of strained budgets and an evolving global climate. He said B.C. should anticipate some bumps as it rolls out the new watchdog.

"Go ahead, establish it, try it, keep track of successes and failures. Just getting that public discussion going is going to really be the value of this thing," he said.

Ottawa lawyer Lawrence Greenspon, whose bereaved clients have sued Ontario police officers, said the trouble with such bodies is they don't act with the victim's family in mind.

He said in Ontario, it is unusual for relatives to be handed an official report outlining the results of the investigation.

"If those are going to remain under wraps, then the whole process is still going to be seen as highly suspect and secretive by the people that are affected by it," he said.

He added there's also little incentive for families to co-operate, because the penalties against officers often lack teeth.

Vancouver police union president Tom Stamatakis, who joined Vancouver police and RCMP officials alongside Premier Christy Clark for the announcement, said his organization is confident in the new watchdog.

"I think Richard hit the nail on he head — it's all about transparency (and) timely reporting around these incidents," he said. "That then gives the police officers confidence that the process will be fair, which means they'll be happy to participate in any investigation that occurs."

Rosenthal can hire ex-police officers as investigators, as long as they haven't served as municipal police officers in B.C. or been members of the RCMP during the past five years. Both municipal police officers and Mounties will be subject to investigations by the office.

Prof. Rob Gordon, Simon Fraser University's school of criminology director, has long advocated for such a watchdog.

He said Rosenthal fulfills the mandate of independence with his vow of never wanting to do actual policing, but he may face a steep learning curve owing to his extensive U.S.-based justice background.

"One hopes that he's helped up that curve by people who don't end up unduly influencing his perceptions of what goes on in the policing world," he said.

The office is aiming to be operational by the middle of next year. It won't do any retroactive investigations, said Rosenthal, a decision the B.C. Civil Liberties Association hopes will be reconsidered.

The organization's final budget has not yet been set, but Attorney General Shirley Bond said could be in the range of $10 million a year.

NDP public safety critic Kathy Corrigan said Rosenthal appears to have strong credentials. Her main concern with the new watchdog is the extent of his independence.

Rosenthal will report to the deputy attorney general, although the NDP would have preferred the body be responsible to the province's independent ombudsperson. He will submit an annual report.

Alberta has its own oversight unit similar to Ontario, while Nova Scotia appointed its first watchdog in September. Quebec is mulling doing the same.

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version incorrectly said Rosenthal would be reporting to the auditor general's office.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

There's a thread about that around here somewhere. Ask Grumpy. There was something about it he didn't like.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Question for the cops amongst us ...

If we had a provincial police, would you jump ship from the RCMP? Any idea how many of your members would? Just a % would be okay, not numbers.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

grammafreddy wrote:Question for the cops amongst us ...

If we had a provincial police, would you jump ship from the RCMP? Any idea how many of your members would? Just a % would be okay, not numbers.

I'd jump over. I don't really care about the colour of my uniform. It's the job I want to do in the province I want to live in. But given that the contract is good for another 20 years I really don't have to worry about it for the rest of my career.

As for the % or raw numbers. No way of knowing or even guessing at that one.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

KL3-Something wrote: But given that the contract is good for another 20 years I really don't have to worry about it for the rest of my career.

Chances are you are safe in your career but there is a two year opt out clause and a revisit every five years that could bite you in the butt. In the remote chance there ever was a Provincial Police recreated, I am pretty sure that whomever wanted to would seemlessly switch and take your pensions with. Probably even stay in the same detachment building lol.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
d_bengert
Board Meister

Post by d_bengert »

twobits wrote:
KL3-Something wrote: But given that the contract is good for another 20 years I really don't have to worry about it for the rest of my career.

Chances are you are safe in your career but there is a two year opt out clause and a revisit every five years that could bite you in the butt. In the remote chance there ever was a Provincial Police recreated, I am pretty sure that whomever wanted to would seemlessly switch and take your pensions with. Probably even stay in the same detachment building lol.

well from what I've heard in the past I would have no problem with KL3-something as a police officer in my city...what I want ... what I really really want is to be able to teach my kids that if they are ever in trouble to find a police officer cause he can and wants to help...I don't feel that way now and whatever it takes to change it back to that I'm votin for
You put on soft music, I'll put on my spiderman pajamas and we'll do things I'm gonna tell my friends we did anyway.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

d_bengert wrote:

well from what I've heard in the past I would have no problem with KL3-something as a police officer in my city...what I want ... what I really really want is to be able to teach my kids that if they are ever in trouble to find a police officer cause he can and wants to help...I don't feel that way now and whatever it takes to change it back to that I'm votin for

KL3 is already a police officer in our community. Why would you look at him (or any other RCMP member) differently just because they have a different patch on their uniform?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Help me with this one.

Now, I know all about the RCMP and am very aware of Provincial Police. I know the system when it comes to Municipal Policing very well. The question I present to each of you who think Provincial would be much finer system then the current Federal RCMP, what would the difference be?

Yes the uniform color may change; the name will obviously change too. Currently the RCMP has a Commissioner who has a Division Leaders in each Province or Division. How do you think the direction of the RCMP is determined as to what their focus should be?

Ok, so Provincial you would have a Commissioner or Provincial Chief. He would still have the direct impute from his Subdivisions or Municipal supervisors (Chief). As we currently have with the RCMP from each Detachment Commander. The Provincial Police would have Detachments or Departments, with Commanders or Chiefs too.

Think of it all together, would it really change?

Now if it were Municipal, the Chief would be answerable to the Police Commission which typically would be made up from local members of the Community, such as business owners/operators, Teachers and representatives from City Counsel. The Chief would have to answer to these people. If he were not conforming to the needs of the community, he would not receive a second contract he would be gone.

Do you understand where this would go... the Community would have some control of what they think the Police should be focusing upon and provide their direction as well?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

goatboy wrote:
d_bengert wrote:

KL3 is already a police officer in our community. Why would you look at him (or any other RCMP member) differently just because they have a different patch on their uniform?

KL-3 doesn't care about this community anymore, he is going north to police. Transfer was handed to him today!!

Thanks KL-3 for your efforts to stop all corruption here in Kelowna!

Return to “B.C.”