Testing for E. coli isn't mandatory in BC meat plants!

coffeeFreak
Guru

Testing for E. coli isn't mandatory in BC meat plants!

Post by coffeeFreak »

It seems, not only was the company quiet about this but also the govt?

B.C. meat plant covers up positive E. coli test
CBC – Wed, 19 Jan 10:20 PM EST
One of British Columbia's largest meat processing plants covered up lab results that showed a sample of its product was contaminated with the deadly E. coli O157 strain, CBC News has learned.

The coverup came to light when Daniel Land, who oversaw the plant's quality assurance, contacted CBC News, saying officials at Pitt Meadows Meats Ltd. told him to keep quiet about the positive test result obtained on Sept. 9...read more,

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/b-c-meat-plant-covers-positive-e-coli-20110119-164707-166.html?mwp_success=NONJS_POST_SUCCESS#mwpphu-post-form
Last edited by coffeeFreak on Jan 21st, 2011, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: BC Meat Plant Covers up Positive E. coli test

Post by Rwede »

Any wonder why I harvest my own organic, free range meat (venison, moose, elk, bear, cougar, game birds) and fish, get the health benefits/exercise of being in the outdoors while doing so, and avoid this contaminated crap altogether?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

E. coli tests not required for B.C. meat plant -- CBC

...Regulations require federally licensed plants to report positive findings of E. coli O157 strain to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

But testing for E. coli 0157 isn't mandatory in a provincially regulated plant...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/e-coli-tests-not-required-b-c-meat-20110120-181934-078.html

I cannot believe the provinces stance?! This is crazy!! :purefury:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

coffeeFreak wrote:
E. coli tests not required for B.C. meat plant -- CBC

...Regulations require federally licensed plants to report positive findings of E. coli O157 strain to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

But testing for E. coli 0157 isn't mandatory in a provincially regulated plant...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/e-coli-tests-not-required-b-c-meat-20110120-181934-078.html

I cannot believe the provinces stance?! This is crazy!! :purefury:

The reality is that testing of meat at the plant for e-coli does virtually nothing for your safety. The meat can become contaminated in all sorts of ways in the supply chain after the plant. Trucks, handling equip, wholesalers, retailers to name a few. None of these stops along the way require testing. Maybe all this regulation and lab testing is why a steak costs so dam much. As the packing plants say, handle and cook ALL MEATS as if they were contaminated.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
ClarenceandSylvia

Re: Testing for E. coli isn't mandatory in BC meat plants!

Post by ClarenceandSylvia »

It's called double standards.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

No... it's called "we've come a long way baby"
Until 2007 the only meat that was inspected/tested in our province at all came from Federal plants. Of which there were only a couple.
There were over 150 unlicensed/uninspected plants in the province providing meat to consumers.
Slowly these plants have either converted to an inspected format or have been shut down.
The ones on this list http://www.bccdc.ca/NR/rdonlyres/161B504B-8E5D-43BA-B111-684DA64996C6/0/MeatPlantEstablishmentWEBVERSION.pdf
are all that are left of the 150.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
zudnic

Post by zudnic »

I'm glad I work in Vancouver and when here live minutes to the border. I buy all my meats in the states because so far its been much higher quality over what I've found in Canada, little less expensive, as is dairy products. Canada Customs has been very reasonable allowing nearly $200 in groceries per week with no duties charged.

Return to “B.C.”