Nurses call 911?

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Nurses call 911?

Post by Fancy »

you missed the word "allegedly".
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
sphoaxperson
Fledgling

Post by sphoaxperson »

Not required.

The Fraser Health Authority says the nurses could have called a Code Blue, and is looking into why they didn't.

The Braybrooke's are not the liars here.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

sphoaxperson wrote: Simple solution, no more union! Employment based upon qualification, advancement based upon performance, pay increase based upon merit.

:coffeecanuck: You idiots kill me. Ignore protocol set by (non-union) employer - duh.

Read a book. Might I suggest "Cat In The Hat" to start. Don't want to discourage you with anything too challenging before you even get started. Actually, I don't expect you to even entertain the notion of getting started. What a joke.
sphoaxperson
Fledgling

Post by sphoaxperson »

Sad, irresponsible and incompetent are three words that come to mind. The nurses involved should be suspended pending a review of what happened. If they are at fault they should be fired and made to apologize.

9 minutes could have meant the end of this man's life.
sphoaxperson
Fledgling

Post by sphoaxperson »

There is NO excuse. None! No union. no policy, no protocol that should stop a person from being a caring human being. Nurse or not. Shame on those nurses who stood by. Those nurses took an oath.

However some people here think that what happened is perfectly OK.

If this story was about a policeman that refused to help all hell would break loose.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

i have found it best to have hoax on the foe list, that way he doesnt bother me as much. course it doesnt help when you all get all bent out of shape over what he writes AND quote him!! :127:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Some blogs were talking about nurses not being qualified (i.e. student etc.)
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
sphoaxperson
Fledgling

Post by sphoaxperson »

Why?

This story is about nurses refusing to help a collapsed man.

I am not attacking other posts here like some others.
sphoaxperson
Fledgling

Post by sphoaxperson »

Fancy wrote:Some blogs were talking about nurses not being qualified (i.e. student etc.)

Could be.

From blogs....

I am a registered nurse and I am so mad that this happened. This is a disgrace to our nursing profession.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

smokesparson er, spockperson, or whatever

Non-union pay increase based upon merit, huh? You mean bust the union and have decreases don't you? You mean you want to add our health care workers to the growing list of people that have $9.hr jobs, don't you? Why spend all those years training when you can just go flip burgers for the same wage.

BTW, I am not union and haven't been in one for over 30 years.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
sphoaxperson
Fledgling

Post by sphoaxperson »

old-bushman wrote:smokesparson er, spockperson, or whatever

:dyinglaughing:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

old-bushman wrote:smokesparson er, spockperson, or whatever

Non-union pay increase based upon merit, huh? You mean bust the union and have decreases don't you? You mean you want to add our health care workers to the growing list of people that have $9.hr jobs, don't you? Why spend all those years training when you can just go flip burgers for the same wage.

^^ something went wrong^^ My post starts below:

Valid point. I'm not a nurse but I give out pills, nitro patches, eye drops, etc. etc. etc. and come in contact with a lot of body fluids etc. and deal with a great deal of emotional issues most people never have to face in their lifetime. Mostly to do with loss of everything under the sun, believe me you don't want me to starting listing them. Not to mention making reports that would make most of you faint. If our employment wages sink below a certain wage for what I do, I may as well go flip burgers.

Oh and guess what? We have a 911 protocol too. It goes like this, (are you all ready? You're gonna love it, it was set by non-unionized management!!) This is what it is: A homecare worker CANNOT call 911 for anyone unless that person is a person on our schedule, at that particular time, in real time.

Does anyone here not understand the CANNOT part? Because we were all stunned to hear this. What it means is if I am in a housing assistance residence and "ANNE" down the hall falls and needs 911, I must call the house staff and have them call 911. I cannot do it. Protocols people, it's all protocols.

BTW, I am not union and haven't been in one for over 30 years.

I am union but there are many people here, not you I know, who will be very happy to hear that there a people struggling with reduced work hours because we are being told there isn't any demand for homecare services. YA RIGHT. It's exactly like a wage cut. And there are hurting people out there. Not me. I have my own good fortune story.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

sphoaxperson wrote:There is NO excuse. None! No union. no policy, no protocol that should stop a person from being a caring human being. Nurse or not. Shame on those nurses who stood by. Those nurses took an oath.

However some people here think that what happened is perfectly OK.

If this story was about a policeman that refused to help all hell would break loose.

The first thing anyone in Health care learns is that if you put yourself in jeopardy, then you won't be able to help your next patient. So you don't rush into a burning building, you don't rush into a car that's electrified, you don't go anywhere until you know you will get out alive and with your job. It makes sense when I give the examples of threats to one's life, and you probably agree that workers can't go charging into situations that will leave them useless and dead.

You make sure you're alive at the end of your shift, and you also have to make sure you have a job at the end of your shift. This means following the rules your employer has set out. All jobs are like this. All jobs have stupid rules set out by management that make so sense in real life, and yet one still have to follow them because to do otherwise might mean losing one's job.

The difference here is that because this is a health care issue, involving health and health emergencies you assume there should be nothing to prevent workers (nurses) from aiding anyone in distress (serving customers). But health workers are just like any other profession. Rules are put in place to keep patients and workers safe.

Nurses have their own patients they must be responsible for, and they will be held liable if one of their designated patients were to have a problem while the nurse was busy with someone who was not her responsibility. This is a liability issue. If my mother suffers a cardiac arrest while the nurse who should be attending her is busy helping a gentleman who fell in the elevator down the hall, no doubt the nurse will be fired for neglecting her patients. Nurses work at hospitals not to help visitors who have health problems, but to tend to their admitted patients. Harsh but true.

I fail to see how union has anything to do with this story. I haven't seen any evidence that union was an issue in this. If someone could explain why this is a union issue using fact, logic and clear writing, I would be most interested. (Garbled hate spew need not be posted)
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

sphoaxperson wrote:It is astounding that you support the nurses that failed this man, his family and the public.

One would think that being in a hospital, having a heat attack, some unionist would step up and help this poor man.

Standing and watching.

Abysmal.

Regardless of whether it's union or management's fault, there are ridiculous rules in place causing situations like these. I don't think the nurses who were abiding by the rules should be held accountable for this. They were protecting their job security and safety (as in, if injured while lifting this person, would worker's comp cover them?...no).

Bottom line: the system is a joke and in need of a major overhaul.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Thank you CoffeeFreak!

I'd forgotten the coverage under worker's comp entirely. That's another (Good!) reason not to rush into something.

Return to “B.C.”