Eradicate BC's mandatory front license plate on vehicles

audidude
Fledgling

Re: Eradicate BC's mandatory FRONT LICENCE PLATE on vehicles

Post by audidude »

here's something from Maryland, USA, for instance...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1603526
audidude
Fledgling

Post by audidude »

....(I just want to put a CANUCKS plate on the front of my vehicle)...... :nutzoid:
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Although I would normally be inclined to support this (I have long hated front license plates) the BC Government spent literally millions of our tax dollars equipping many police cruisers with a special camera and software that can read front license plates while an officer is driving down the road and within in seconds pick up on cars that have been reported as stolen, are being driven with expired insurance, or when the driver is prohibited from driving. Only for this reason will I reluctantly support the front license plate.
Back with a vengeance
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

That is a valid reason.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Al Czervic wrote:Although I would normally be inclined to support this (I have long hated front license plates) the BC Government spent literally millions of our tax dollars equipping many police cruisers with a special camera and software that can read front license plates while an officer is driving down the road and within in seconds pick up on cars that have been reported as stolen, are being driven with expired insurance, or when the driver is prohibited from driving. Only for this reason will I reluctantly support the front license plate.

I was wondering how John Law pinched me last yr driving towards me a day after my tags had lapsed. Fortunately for me he was having a happy day, realized it was a brain fart, and let me walk down the block to an insurance office to renew.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pwjm

Post by pwjm »

Why?? The only reason you wouldn't want it there is if you're so vain you're more concerned about how your car looks than catching the guy that just hit you or your car.

I see no advantage what-so-ever in removing them. If anything people should have their names or faces printed on them so that there is a little more respect and social responsibility on the roads.

To recap, the only people that want the plates gone are:
Those who are obsessed with how their cars look
Those who want escape from an accident unidentified
And Albertans.
Big Bacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Eradicate BC's mandatory front license plate on vehicles

Post by Big Bacardi »

I gotta agree with pwjm!!!!
You may think I'm dumb...But I ain't so smart.....but i am smart enuf to know how to spell corrictley!!!....I sure wish others culd spel. The graamar by other postars truly sux!
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

I thought they had to invent front plates for BC drivers because many people never washed their dirty rear plates, making it hard for anyone to get their plate number when they did something wrong. :dyinglaughing:
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

pwjm wrote:Why?? The only reason you wouldn't want it there is if you're so vain you're more concerned about how your car looks than catching the guy that just hit you or your car.

I see no advantage what-so-ever in removing them. If anything people should have their names or faces printed on them so that there is a little more respect and social responsibility on the roads.

And Albertans.

Completely agree.

Getting rid of the front plate is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard in a while. There are so many reasons to have plates on a vehicle, why would we want to reduce the effectiveness by having only one ?

Vanity,,, ya right.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

my5cents wrote:
pwjm wrote:Why?? The only reason you wouldn't want it there is if you're so vain you're more concerned about how your car looks than catching the guy that just hit you or your car.

And Albertans.

Completely agree.

Getting rid of the front plate is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard in a while. There are so many reasons to have plates on a vehicle, why would we want to reduce the effectiveness by having only one ?

Vanity,,, ya right.

Agreed. And I believe that if you have no front plate you are not permitted to back into a parking space...
Bumblebuns
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The problem I see is that many cars manufactured today aren't actually designed to have a front plate and require an adapter/frame that sticks out of the bumper like a sore thumb. Personally to me, a car is more than just a form of conveyence to get me from point A to point B, I can appreciate the beauty and lines of many cars on the road and the looks is also one of the many factors when I purchase a vehicle and for that reason alone, I have no problem in saying that front plates can be optional ... if other states and provinces can live with it I don't see why we can't.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
audidude
Fledgling

Post by audidude »

admit, I belong in the VANITY group.....(nothing wrong w/that....i see lotsa Albertans w/ OILERS or FLAMES front plates...so just wanna have my Canuck Plate) :9923:

Have to disagree with couple posts above.....if it's a stupid idea, why then has Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, Newfoundland/Labrador, 3 territories, (& I think NovaScotia or New Brunswick) and 19 US states gone to the NO-front plate plan?

There must be some merit to the rear-plate only law. (did u read the links?)
edwardv
Fledgling

Post by edwardv »

I checked out your links but in the end i don't see a strong enough case to get rid of the front plate. To me the benefit is much better than the cost.
NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Post by NotLikeYou »

OK so people want front license plates becuase our cops our lazy so went spent millions of dollars to equip systems for thier cars to do there job, If it were infact sutch an AMAZING system in thier cars, I would wonder why many other provinces do not follow. hmmmmmmm , About making it easier leaving the scene of an accident..Most accidents usually involve front end and usualy the plate gets to mangled to even read, Especialy if someone is trying to make a break for it, Most the time when a situation where suspects flee are caught anyways with or out without plates.

I wonder how much EXTRA metal and materials are used to make those extra plates .. that usualy have to be renwered lots, as well as changed during the exhange of a vehicle sale etc etc....BUT WAIT we are not running out of natural resources at all, What am i thinking, I must be some eco nut!!!

Return to “B.C.”