Stockwell Day announces retirement

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Stockwell Day announces retirement

Post by Gone_Fishin »

daria wrote:
Bsuds wrote:So does that make you happy or sad?...me.. :discodance:

I'm also ecstatic to hear the news! :discodance:

This from the supporters of a stoned snowboarder. What happened to his run at Stockwell? Did he get wasted and forget what he was doing? Laughable, for sure, when that's the best "quality" of candidates that the left can put forward.

We'll all miss the straight shooting Stockwell Day. He's done a lot for this area, and for Canada as a whole.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

With Stahl and Cummins also announcing today that they won't be seeking reelection one wonders if they think an election is just around the corner.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

I caught the one about Chuck Urbane. Who is "Cummings"? Are they all BC MP's? Is it possible that something is going on behind the scenes that is provoking the "freeing up" of seats in Federal Conservative Ridings here all of a sudden? Maybe something for outgoing provincial cabinet ministers or premiers to eyeball ;-)

Edit to add: I noticed in Stockwell's announcement that he didn't indicate he was retiring, just that he was moving on, without apparently giving any indication as to where and what. I doubt very much he is "done" yet, particularly with political ambitions.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

NAB wrote:I caught the one about Chuck Urbane. Who is "Cummings"? Are they all BC MP's? Is it possible that something is going on behind the scenes that is provoking the "freeing up" of seats in Federal Conservative Ridings here all of a sudden? Maybe something for outgoing provincial cabinet ministers or premiers to eyeball ;-)

Edit to add: I noticed in Stockwell's announcement that he didn't indicate he was retiring, just that he was moving on, without apparently giving any indication as to where and what. I doubt very much he is "done" yet, particularly with political ambitions.

Nab

This would, I think, cause a bit of nervousness in the BC Liberal ranks, eh?
Chill
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

At least in the right wing of that "coalition" flaming LOL. The true Liberals have little to worry about.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

NAB wrote:I caught the one about Chuck Urbane. Who is "Cummings"? Are they all BC MP's? Is it possible that something is going on behind the scenes that is provoking the "freeing up" of seats in Federal Conservative Ridings here all of a sudden? Maybe something for outgoing provincial cabinet ministers or premiers to eyeball ;-)

Nab

Chuck Stahl led the charge against Stock Day's leadership reign... Interesting that they are both leaving "together".

Look for Stahl to write a book on how to play on voter sympathy.

Look for Day to get the prison warden job at the jail for inmates that are convicted for their unreported crimes. Look for the jail to be filled with Liberals....
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Nab
MP John Cummins is not running in the next election:

OTTAWA — Two cabinet ministers and a veteran Conservative MP — all from British Columbia — have announced they will not be on the ballot, whenever the writ drops.

The news came Saturday, amid growing speculation that a federal election may be triggered in as little as two weeks.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper thanked Transport Minister Chuck Strahl, Treasury Board president Stockwell day and MP John Cummins for their “extraordinary dedication to public service throughout the years.”

When Day closes the door on politics, he will bring to an end a career that has spanned a quarter of a century, taking him through provincial and federal legislatures, where he lead the Canadian Alliance and later became a senior cabinet minister, holding three high-profile portfolios.

“After 14 years in provincial government and almost 11 years at the federal level it is time to move on,” Day said in a statement issued Saturday. “I hereby announce that I will not be seeking re-election at the end of this mandate.”

Strahl’s first federal appointment came during the 1993 election, when he was voted to represent Chilliwack-Fraser Canyon as a member of the Reform Party, which later became the Canadian Alliance.

In 2001, Strahl lead a group of Alliance members who opposed Day’s role as leader.

That year, Day agreed to step aside as leader and to allow for another vote. His bid was defeated by Harper, who swiftly gave Day a critic portfolio.

“Stockwell has an outstanding record of achievement throughout his time in Parliament,” Harper said in a statement. “Stockwell is respected and admired by all of his colleagues, his constituents and Canadians across the country.”

Harper said Strahl has never failed to tackle each of his federal roles with “passion and enthusiasm and with tremendous achievement.”

Cummins’ time in federal politics stretches back to 1997, when he was elected to Parliament as a member of the Reform Party.

[email protected]

Twitter.com/amyminsky

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Tories+lose+ ... zz1GPqtF2F
L
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Hmmmm, interesting, ALL BC it appears. And Cummings = Delta Richmond, Strahl = Chiiliwck Fraser Valley, and Day = Okanagan Coquihalla.

Now who are the corresponding provincial level right wing political personalities in the areas of those ridings? ;-)

Nab
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Fisher-Dude wrote:
daria wrote:
Bsuds wrote:So does that make you happy or sad?...me.. :discodance:

I'm also ecstatic to hear the news! :discodance:

This from the supporters of a stoned snowboarder. What happened to his run at Stockwell? Did he get wasted and forget what he was doing? Laughable, for sure, when that's the best "quality" of candidates that the left can put forward.

We'll all miss the straight shooting Stockwell Day. He's done a lot for this area, and for Canada as a whole.

Yes, cannabis must be so bad for the body when people can win Olympic gold and be chronic users. Now, an alcoholic would never make it near the podium, let alone on it...

But back on topic:

Day is nothing more than a double-dipping politician, who will be collecting provincial and federal pensions from British Columbian and Canadian taxpayers for years, and yet people have the gall to complain about public sector union benefits. :127:
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

How does he get a BC provincial pension? Or is that not what you meant?

Nab
Manager_Admin

Post by Manager_Admin »

Who cares. Does it really have to be in a Red Headline at the top of the page. I thought that was for really important local news.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

NAB wrote:How does he get a BC provincial pension? Or is that not what you meant?

Nab

Oops, I met Albertan provincial pension. My bad. He's still a double-dipper, though.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

daria wrote:
NAB wrote:How does he get a BC provincial pension? Or is that not what you meant?

Nab

Oops, I met Albertan provincial pension. My bad. He's still a double-dipper, though.

You know for sure he is getting a provincial pension from Alberta? Or even will be drawing a federal one when he steps down for that matter?

Nab
Imagination
Board Meister

Post by Imagination »

Don't look to local politicians if you want to figure out who will run for what just yet. There is this little manoeuvre parties like to play with up and comers who couldn't possibly win in the constituencies where they live (being die-hard voters for other parties or already having a strong party candidate they want to keep for instance). So they go about finding ridings where they have strong support already and MP's who, for what ever reason, can be 'retired'. Mr. Day would be a perfect example as it was probably felt he could win a seat in BC while AB was a little more iffy, so he moved here where there was a better chance of being voted in and staying an MP.

With talk being there is a strong possibility of a May election you can bet some shuffling is going on and very quickly (all parties but we are only going to notice the ones where standing MP's are the ones dropping out). Once an election is announced you watch the names pop up who you were sure lived somewhere else but suddenly have taken up residence in those BC ridings.

Return to “B.C.”