Where will Christy Clark run?

NAB
Buddha of the Board

Where will Christy Clark run?

Post by NAB »

Where do you think Clark has the best chance of winning a seat in the legislature?
Nab

By: ctvbc.ca

Date: Monday Mar. 14, 2011 3:52 PM PT

Christy Clark is officially premier of B.C., but she still faces an uphill battle as she looks ahead to a by-election necessary to become a sitting MLA.

Former premier Gordon Campbell has indicated that he's ready to step away from the Vancouver-Point Grey riding he's held for 15 years to make way for his successor, and Clark says she's considering a run there.

But being elected by Point Grey voters might not be easy. A sitting B.C. government has not won a by-election in 30 years, when Claude Richmond won his Kamloops riding for the Social Credit Party.

On the streets of Point Grey, some voters say they would be hesitant to vote for Clark.

"It's not going to be changing the guard. It's going to be reinstituting the old guard in a dress," one man told CTV News.

The opposition NDP have not yet chosen a by-election candidate for the riding, but University of Victoria political scientist Dennis Pilon says the party will likely bring out the big guns.

"To take down the new premier would be a pretty devastating blow to the Liberal government and a shot in the arm for the NDP, so they're going to make the most of it," he said.

"If people are really fed up with the Liberals or really angry with them, then it's possible that she'll suffer for that as well."

Interim NDP leader Dawn Black says the Clark will have to fight to win voters' confidence.

"I think the issue for B.C. voters is trust. They've had a government in place for 10 years that's deceived them on a number of issues, on the HST certainly," she said.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Where will Christy Clark run?

Post by Urbane »

Not too long from now is the HST referendum, be it mail in or traditional, and the premier and others will be heavily involved with that starting about now. Then we have the summer (bad time for a by-election with people on vacation etc.) and then we're in the fall and a likely fall election. So I don't know in which riding Christy Clark will run but I think there's a 50-50 chance it will be in a general election and not a by-election. 50-50 . . . a bold prediction on my part!
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Well, that covers the when nicely Urbane, but where?

I'm thinking she should run in the Okanagan somewhere, Vernon perhaps?

Or perhaps here on Van Island (but away from Victoria). Nanaimo might be a nice fit.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

NAB wrote:Well, that covers the when nicely Urbane, but where?

I'm thinking she should run in the Okanagan somewhere, Vernon perhaps?

Or perhaps here on Van Island (but away from Victoria). Nanaimo might be a nice fit.

Nab
She'll want a lower mainland riding or island riding but top priority is a safe seat. It would be a terrible start for her to lose in a by-election and that's why I have a hunch she might just wait for the general election. Maybe your idea of her running in the interior isn't so bad but I just don't know who would step aside for her. Point Grey is still a strong possibility I suppose but the NDP has taken that riding before. If I had to put money down on one riding that would be it though.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Let’s not forget if there is a Federal election then April and May are out….she would be crazy to run in June with her “moved up” HST referendum so that would leave September/October as Municipal election are in November…..

As to where ? I still think she would like to see Colin Hansen retire and go after his seat.
Back with a vengeance
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Either Kelowna-Westside, Kelowna-Mission, or Kelowna-Lake Country. :)

She'll probably end up taking over Gordon Campbell's old riding, wherever that is.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

I live in the Okanagan. And I for one will not vote for Christie just to get her into cabinet. How will and can she represents us. She does not live here. Sorry the system is flawed. Best thing is to do is have the NDP do their thing with a new leader. And then call a provincial election with the HST referendum the same time. Lets see were the chips will fall. But at least this province can then start wih a clean page.....hopefully.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Perhaps Gordon Campbell's resignation as MLA, just announced this morning, provides the answer - Point Grey for Christy Clark?
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Looking more likely now Urbane.

As an aside (rather than try to dig up that old thread "Gordon Campbell has to go" somewhere here, started so long ago now it seems), I just read that article you refer to. My immediate thought was "Finally he is totally gone". It's been a lot of work to that end. Who knows where he will emerge next, he is gone for now but will not be quickly forgotten in any event. His legacy lingers on.

(Edit to add as a footnote, Campbell got his start in politics in Vancouver, and in his announcement indicates he "loves" that city and the province). I can understand his love of the City, and he carried that love and his vision for it and its money into provincial politics, as well as into the Premiers Office and its agenda. Too bad his vision (thus "love") for BC was unable to expand much beyond that city during his decade in power.)

Nab

Return to “B.C.”