Teachers seek more money, fewer students

Pansyaxe

Teachers seek more money, fewer students

Post by Pansyaxe »

Here we go again!!! Looks like teachers will be holding us parents up for ransom once again while most of us haven't seen a raise in years. Months of holidays, a pension to die for and no weekends or evenings. I have heard all the arguments for decades and I simply don't buy it! Most of us put in extra hours for work either at home or the office and we all have stress in our jobs. I earn far less than most teachers, get two weeks holidays, no pro days, no pension and no benefits. So please give us a break and lets put a stop to the madness. The only ones striking for more pay these days are government employees. If the rest of us tried this with our employers, we'd get our walking papers.

If you think teaching is so tough and your being so overworked and under paid, why don't you try working in the average person's world and stop your constant complaining! I for one, am sick and tired of going through this crap every few years!!
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Teachers seek more money, fewer students

Post by phasyluck »

Pretty difficult to disagree with you, they have it pretty damn good as it is! The last raise I got was actually a 5.50 decrease. :137:
Sure do love Rutland!!
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

If you are so dissatisfied with your job I suggest you quit, or go back to school because whining about another person's job is just silly. Teacher's deserve every penny they get /endthread
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

What school do you work at?
Sure do love Rutland!!
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

phasyluck wrote:What school do you work at?

not a teacher and my point would be valid even if I was
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

I believe the OP was just trying to shed some light on the fact that they do seem to continually threaten or actually go on strike every few years. Nobody is saying they don't deserve the money they make but they don't have too many reasons to strike other than the fact that they're allowed to do so. If people in my trade were allowed to strike it would cause some pretty major hiccups in a significant amount of peoples everyday routines and the longer it went on the worse it would get.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Teachers want more money but have more days off today than they did when I was in school. Kids now get 17 days for spring break. We only got one week. I can understand smaller class sizes as the larger the class size the less one on one time for students with the teacher. But for more pay, no, I do not think that it is needed at this time. Each year the teachers start complaining about their wages, and why not if they do not get what they want then all of our kids suffer. In a way they have the govt by the balls. There should be caps on their wages and if you do not like it change jobs. If it is all about the money to teachers, then they are not fit to educate tomorrows generation.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

(might be a bit off topic)
I think teacher should be payed by how hard they work and how much time and effort they put in to teaching. There are lots of teachers that just sit there on their laptop and tell you to read the book and tell you to ask someone else for help and get the students to mark the tests. Then you got the teachers that put the effort in to teach you the stuff and stay after class to help you. Personally I don't think its far that teachers all get paid the same when some do lots of work and others do none.
Life is too sho......
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

It takes so much more to teach kids than a degree. There has to be a love to educate to be a light in a childs life. If someone just teaches for the pay cheque is not a teacher. Teaching should not be just a job but a passion that comes from within, and not everyone has it.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

Libelle wrote:It takes so much more to teach kids than a degree. There has to be a love to educate to be a light in a childs life. If someone just teaches for the pay cheque is not a teacher. Teaching should not be just a job but a passion that comes from within, and not everyone has it.

True, but I am just saying it is like a lot of jobs. You get paid by how much you work. If you work your *bleep* off all the time you are going to get more then the guy that shows up just before start time and looks like he does not want to be there. So why should it not be the same for teachers. It makes me mad thinking about how teachers do nothing and get paid the same amount that teacher who do a lot.

As for the topic If they want fewer students and more money where are all the students going to go? To many schools are closing in BC This is just going to make schools and classes even more crowded because with less schools there will be more kids that have to crowd in schools. They are not going to win this because they have no choice. BC government keeps cutting back the school budget and schools keep on closing. If anything they are going to get more students and less pay because of cutbacks.
Life is too sho......
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Just wanted to congratulate the OP on the topic headline!! So nice to see that your teacher taught you the proper use of "fewer" rather than "less". Hooray!! Now, if we could only get the grocery stores to change their checkout signs from "Less than 12 items." TO: "Fewer than 12 items." I would be happy!! Cheers!
Chill
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Are any of you teachers? Have you ever taught? I am sure none of you have. Before your comment please know what you are commenting about. Oh no I am not a teacher either.
Russ79
Board Meister

Post by Russ79 »

Has anyone seen the youth of today? Try teaching a younger version of yourself with a "ME ME ME" attitude and a cell phone to boot. With how parents now tie a teachers hands in red tape in regards to how children nowadays have to be treated and no kid gets left behind creates an attitude "I can do no wrong" and "I'm a winner in everything I do" Kids have a free reign to walk all over teachers and their fellow students. I have family who work in our school district as teachers and they say its NOTHING like it used to be. Teachers deserve every penny working with the parents of the "ME" generation and they deserve a pat on the back for putting up with our Nintendo children.
If you are reading this thank your teacher.
If you are reading this in english thank a vet.
bree-anna
Fledgling

Post by bree-anna »

well I 'm not a teacher but I do have a cousin that is one and I see how much time she puts in , getting everything ready for the next day the night before at home . She spends even hours upon hours at the school on weekends . She is very devoted and loves her job . So when it comes to more money for the teachers ...... if the money is there why not give more to the teachers , it doesn't matter how many students there is per class room all that matters is all the work and prep work they do on a daily basis !
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The teachers already have fewer students: 60,000 fewer students in the past decade, as a matter of fact. Yet, they continue to whine for a lower workload at a time when all professions (and for the record, teachers are NOT professionals, IMO) are taking on more workload.

Ask yourself why the BCTF never mentions that declining enrolment in BC has resulted in 60,000 fewer students while they continue to push for more money for less work. Shameful. The BCTF should be legislated out of existence.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “B.C.”