Übergod

Re: Kelowna RCMP Wearing Video Cameras

Post by Snarf »

Bring on the cams! Front and back! I have nothing to hide
Nationalpro
Fledgling

Post by Nationalpro »

conspiracy to make a video go viral on youtube. those vids make people lots of $$$
Popeye69
Board Meister

Post by Popeye69 »

If Mantler had a cam he wouldnt of booted buddy in the face. These cameras are a good idea and work to convict the guilty aswell as defend against injustice. They are the "Big Brother" watching both parties. They are a fantastic idea and people who argue against them are foolish. Video tape rules. Right or wrong the truth is told on tape and by a jury of our peers watching it.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

The video cameras are only as good as the people that are editing and securing the video. there have been many cases of video disappearing in police lockups when alleged assaults have occurred.

In theory it should be a good idea,but it may also be just a publicity stunt in order to gain favor with the citizens.

remember if you got nothing to hide, you should have no problem having your privacy invaded :dyinglaughing:
Scuba
Fledgling

Post by Scuba »

[quote="grumpydigger"]The video cameras are only as good as the people that are editing and securing the video. there have been many cases of video disappearing in police lockups when alleged assaults have occurred.

Name some instances where this has occurred !!!
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Scuba wrote:
grumpydigger wrote:The video cameras are only as good as the people that are editing and securing the video. there have been many cases of video disappearing in police lockups when alleged assaults have occurred.

Not 100% but I think the incident in Houston BC a few years back when a 19 year old kid was shot in the back of the head by and RCMP officer at the station. As far as I understand the lawsuit was dropped by his mother though.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Scuba
Fledgling

Post by Scuba »

phasyluck wrote:
Scuba wrote:
grumpydigger wrote:The video cameras are only as good as the people that are editing and securing the video. there have been many cases of video disappearing in police lockups when alleged assaults have occurred.

Not 100% but I think the incident in Houston BC a few years back when a 19 year old kid was shot in the back of the head by and RCMP officer at the station. As far as I understand the lawsuit was dropped by his mother though.

Yes you are right, I don't even think there was video. From what I understand that was down right murder. I still haven't figured out how one could be getting choked from behind and you pull you gun and shoot someone in the back of the head....Doesn't make any sense to me, and the member was cleared. In some instances the RCMP are getting away with murder.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

I like the idea, just wonder how long till the video disapears is erased or just wasn't recording like in the Ian Bush murder.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

While I think cameras on cops are a good idea, this "if you have nothing to hide......" BS is getting old.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

I don't like cameras recording me anywhere but thats the way it is now.

A couple things I do like about the cameras on cops is that both the cop and the person they are dealing with might treat each other with respect knowing that their behavior is being taped which reduces the chances of minor things escalating.

The police will not be able to lie on the stand saying the suspect said or did something they did not. I think the cameras will actually cause the police to lose more cases.
kelofornia
Übergod

Post by kelofornia »

cutter7 wrote:I don't like cameras recording me anywhere but thats the way it is now.

A couple things I do like about the cameras on cops is that both the cop and the person they are dealing with might treat each other with respect knowing that their behavior is being taped which reduces the chances of minor things escalating.

The police will not be able to lie on the stand saying the suspect said or did something they did not. I think the cameras will actually cause the police to lose more cases.

What if the officer "accidentally" turns it off at a moment that could implicate said officer in wrong doing?
What about "editing" to enhance said video for trial procedings?

All that is needed is to look at other places where this "tool" has been used and failed to realize what a waste this is.

You are all so ready to accept the garbage that you are being fed in the name of crimestopping, just wait and see the less than acceptable consequences.
bree-anna
Fledgling

Post by bree-anna »

Great idea that way everyone is safe, whether its the police officer or any person . A video is proof and proof is evidence and now a days with what is going on we all can't just say well this is what happened when in reality its not so bring on the cameras wonderful idea :sunshine:
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

We are all on camera wherever we go anyway, I would like to see a recording system that cannot be edited under any circumstances. Also the off switch should have a 15 minute delay so someone that knows they are about to engage in questionable activities cannot just turn it off.
Black Dogs Matter
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

kelofornia wrote:
cutter7 wrote:I don't like cameras recording me anywhere but thats the way it is now.

What if the officer "accidentally" turns it off at a moment that could implicate said officer in wrong doing?
What about "editing" to enhance said video for trial procedings?

All that is needed is to look at other places where this "tool" has been used and failed to realize what a waste this is.

You are all so ready to accept the garbage that you are being fed in the name of crimestopping, just wait and see the less than acceptable consequences.

If you read my post you can see my stance is not from the point of crime stopping but that if the camera was used it might stop the police from fabricating evidence (which they often do) you are right tho they will find a way to conveniently lose evidence.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Geezuz ........... the cops can't win with some of you guys here! First you complain about them not being effective and how they are all bullies and crooks and slam them every chance you get for things a few bad apples happen to do and shout hooray because Mantler was caught on camera, then they put cameras on cops downtown to help out that situation and you gripe about that!

I think the biggest complainers and cop critics here are people who got caught doing something illegal and are *bleep* off about that so now they have a hate-on for all cops and nothing they do will make you happy. Time to look inside yerselves and sort out yer own issues, fercrisskes. Only a handful are bad cops, but there's sure a lot of *bleep* off lawbreakers ready to nail every cop for just about anything imaginable.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “B.C.”