Kelowna RCMP Wearing Video Cameras

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelowna RCMP Wearing Video Cameras

Post by Captain Awesome »

MAPearce wrote:I understand that Capt. That's why I suggested a 30 or 90 minute loop.Should give a cop enough time to download any evidence if needed.

Well, if any cop can choose what he downloads and what he destroys (by not downloading and thus overwriting), how is it different from "on demand"?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

When they need evidence for some reason, they go the the cop shop and have the "downloader " do it...

It's not that hard to grasp Capt...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Hmmm, going to the cop shop every 30-90 minutes to upload their videos...Sounds productive!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

MAPearce wrote:When they need evidence for some reason, they go the the cop shop and have the "downloader " do it...

Yea and if not then it gets copied over....you know you should maybe come and watch what actually happens before offering advice. Yours is a good idea but very impractical. I am not saying this because I disagree with you...because I do...I am saying it based on its practical application...there is none.
Cops spend multiple hours on the road or at a scene and cannot stop or be replaced at a whim and to call another member to the scene to take the device back to the "cop shop" as you call it would offer other problems such as continuity of evidence etc.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

a recent post by a 28 year RCMP veteran, you tell me if there is not something wrong with a great portion of the police!
Considering that information is extremely old and changes have and are being made, I'd say there is more hope for up and coming members than some obviously believe.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Captain Awesome wrote:Hmmm, going to the cop shop every 30-90 minutes to upload their videos...Sounds productive!

How long do you think it would have taken Mantler to go to the detatchment to download his camera (if he had one) after he sent Tavarres' head through the uprights ?

Didn't he have to go down there anyway with all those "exhibits" he collected ??
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

There is something wrong with certain people of these forums who carry the attitude that just because someone is a police officer it equals them being corrupt. Shame on those of you who think this way. Take a step back and realize that most of the problem is your own prejudice. No, the RCMP are not perfect, and yes, as we have seen, there appear to be some bad apples. But get real. The vast majority of the RCMP are there to do a job FOR YOU. The police deserve the right to have cameras and protect themselves. That is what it boils down to since it seems there is high demand to take away anything else they could use ie tasers, authority etc. If there were not idiots in society who broke the law, hurt people, damaged property, we might not need the RCMP. But until such a time as THE GENERAL PUBLIC can police themselves, our society requires this service. If you don't appreciate it, then perhaps you would be best to check yourselves before hurling aggravation elsewhere. Don't enter the sheep mentality of ignorance.
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

Shame :eyeballspin: If their is any shame it is FORCING people to not trust or believe the words and actions of a once respected organization . There has been 100s more cases of misconduct that people do not known about on these forums because the system has successfully hid them . the police and certain media want you to believe that they have disappeared. These cameras will only work if the police have no control with what the content is or what is downloaded and a trusted source has control over the content untill it may be need
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
castakelowna
Fledgling

Post by castakelowna »

Fancy wrote:
a recent post by a 28 year RCMP veteran, you tell me if there is not something wrong with a great portion of the police!
Considering that information is extremely old and changes have and are being made, I'd say there is more hope for up and coming members than some obviously believe.

Old? the study referred to in the post was old, but the post was made by the 28 yr. RCMP veteran just a week ago! It tells of his experiences during his time as an officer. Maybe try reading, rather than skimming through for anything you can find to suit your agenda! OBVIOUSLY nothing has changed as the problem is getting worse, as evidenced by the publics lack of trust for the RCMP!
castakelowna
Fledgling

Post by castakelowna »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:
MAPearce wrote:
I think that's where any ,or all, of the "problems" would occur..Privacy watchdogs will always argue about who should control the how's and whens of it all....

I think they"d have there points... If it were on a loop of say 30 to 90 minutes and could be down loaded as needed WITHOUT the wearer having control , I'd be satisfied...

So what your saying is when a cop goes to the bathroom or goes in to a court room (all wearing a radio with a camera on it) you would like that to be recorded....wont happen.
If they are going to be issued they have to be used when the officer comes into contact with a subject.
The ENTIRE purpose of a cop wearing the camera in the 1st place is to gather evidence...nothing more.
Those that think they are intended to be a `watch dog` sort of thing are mistaken.

I think what people are trying to say is that there is as much, if not more of a cause for the cameras to keep an eye on you cops, rather than just gather evidence. If you are going to have them anyway and considering the current RCMP track record, it would be in the best interest of the public to have them used to the fullest extent possible! Obviously a washroom, or courtroom, would not be a place for the cameras. Dont blame us for wanting protection from the biggest gang in the world! Again, especially considering the RCMP track record. We will call it piece of mind..... :skippingsheep:
castakelowna
Fledgling

Post by castakelowna »

diggerdick wrote:Shame :eyeballspin: If their is any shame it is FORCING people to not trust or believe the words and actions of a once respected organization . There has been 100s more cases of misconduct that people do not known about on these forums because the system has successfully hid them . the police and certain media want you to believe that they have disappeared. These cameras will only work if the police have no control with what the content is or what is downloaded and a trusted source has control over the content untill it may be need

place nail here, you have hit it square on the head. :sunshine:
castakelowna
Fledgling

Post by castakelowna »

Graphite wrote:There is something wrong with certain people of these forums who carry the attitude that just because someone is a police officer it equals them being corrupt. Shame on those of you who think this way. Take a step back and realize that most of the problem is your own prejudice. No, the RCMP are not perfect, and yes, as we have seen, there appear to be some bad apples. But get real. The vast majority of the RCMP are there to do a job FOR YOU. The police deserve the right to have cameras and protect themselves. That is what it boils down to since it seems there is high demand to take away anything else they could use ie tasers, authority etc. If there were not idiots in society who broke the law, hurt people, damaged property, we might not need the RCMP. But until such a time as THE GENERAL PUBLIC can police themselves, our society requires this service. If you don't appreciate it, then perhaps you would be best to check yourselves before hurling aggravation elsewhere. Don't enter the sheep mentality of ignorance.

Take away anything else they can use? No we want the tazers set at a buzz rate that wont kill up to 50% of the population! And when there are 5 large cops surrounding one poor polish guy, ONLY STUN HIM ONCE! some reading for you : http://re-sergeance.net/2012/10/15/tase ... ole-story/

what about pepper spray, the baton, that other telescoping stick they beat people with, that huge flashlight, tactical self defence training, dozens of other cops that will come racing at any given moment if required....oh yea, and the gun every cop carries to protect themselves.... Take away everything... :dyinglaughing:

And if there were not idiots within all ranks of the RCMP, (and municipal/provincial forces) we "society" would not need protection from the police! And until such time that the police can honour the oaths they take before they hit the street, the public requires the service of cameras on all cops, at all times, without the cop being able to monkey trunk with the video, plain and simple!

and ALL police are there to do a job for us, you are right, they work for us! This is why we as employers would like to make sure police are doing what they are supposed to be doing, not beating the crap out of people, using intimidation and scare tactics, screwing subordinates, drinking, etc. etc. etc. while they are doing their job!
castakelowna
Fledgling

Post by castakelowna »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:
MAPearce wrote:When they need evidence for some reason, they go the the cop shop and have the "downloader " do it...

Yea and if not then it gets copied over....you know you should maybe come and watch what actually happens before offering advice. Yours is a good idea but very impractical. I am not saying this because I disagree with you...because I do...I am saying it based on its practical application...there is none.
Cops spend multiple hours on the road or at a scene and cannot stop or be replaced at a whim and to call another member to the scene to take the device back to the "cop shop" as you call it would offer other problems such as continuity of evidence etc.

Plug into the computer in the car, which automatically sends all recordings to the "cop shop"
castakelowna
Fledgling

Post by castakelowna »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:
MAPearce wrote:Then stop it.....Most have heard about it.

There are many other occupations that require the same sort of dedicated people as cops who don't continually lament the rigors of it...

True enough....but are those same professions placed under the same size of microscope as cops are constantly placed....doubt it.

doctors, jail guards, search and rescue, firefighters, to name a few.... and maybe they are not "under the same size of microscope" because their actions have not caused an outcry from the public to increase the magnification level!
castakelowna
Fledgling

Post by castakelowna »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:
MAPearce wrote:
NO shame here, I love my dirty ,rotten , smelly and physically demanding job but the list goes on and on .. take some time and go back...WAY back...the threads are there .

...and I love mine. I think you misread or misunderstood my prev posts...because I clearly said I wasnt getting on a soap box...I love my job...wouldnt do anything else....All I am suggesting is the gen pub does not know what it really entails day in and day out....unless you do it you have no idea...period.
Oh and for the record...no I never quit....part of my survivor menatality..

I almost forgot to add...the previous post all in favour of the cameras...I would like to mention I think you are close there but the fact is the camera will not be on 100% of the time...and nor should they. They would and should only be used as another tool to gather evidence. After all we are all entitled to have private time in the rest room at least once in a shift....arent we????
The fact is there are plenty of times cops are working and not dealing with subjects....paper work is an example. Why do the cameras need to be on then? Fact is they do not. I would think using a camera would and should be up to the officer with said camera....just like it is with any other tool on their tool belt.

No it should not be up to the cop because they have proven time and time again that when it suits them they will lie, abuse power, etc. etc. and considering the track record with the tools on their tool belt.... here is a good example of why cameras should be running ANYTIME an officer is out in public on duty! : http://www.pixiq.com/article/dallas-dep ... g-head-cam :eyeballspin:

Return to “B.C.”