Kelowna RCMP Wearing Video Cameras

Lore
Übergod

Re: Kelowna RCMP Wearing Video Cameras

Post by Lore »

36Drew wrote:
Phoenix Within wrote:You only have something to worry about if you have something to hide.

• If I'm not doing anything wrong, then you have no cause to watch me.
  • Because the government gets to define what's wrong, and they keep changing the definition.
  • Because you might do something wrong with my information.

While I think the cameras are a good idea, but do have some issues regarding the capture of sensitive information and the integrity of that which is captured - I find your statement to be entirely uneducated, weak, and undeserving of the protections of the Canadian Charter. If you truly feel that you have nothing to hide, then I have a series of rather candid questions that you should feel free to answer on the public forum...

I'm curious, what are your series of rather candid questions?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

goatboy wrote:
grumpydigger wrote:It is not hypocritical at all, it all boils down to the fact that the public still has trust issues with the RCMP using , editing, and securing the video in the proper manner.

We do? Some examples please.

Taken from http://www.am1150.ca/News/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1437107:

Representatives of the B.C. Civil Liberties have already expressed their concerns of the cameras, saying officers can destroy the evidence.

I've already expressed my own concern in a previous post, and I believe a couple of others here have as well.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Lore wrote:
36Drew wrote:
Phoenix Within wrote:You only have something to worry about if you have something to hide.

• Because the government gets to define what's wrong, and they keep changing the definition.

While I think the cameras are a good idea, but do have some issues regarding the capture of sensitive information and the integrity of that which is captured - I find your statement to be entirely uneducated, weak, and undeserving of the protections of the Canadian Charter. If you truly feel that you have nothing to hide, then I have a series of rather candid questions that you should feel free to answer on the public forum...

How much did you make last year? Please post a copy of your income tax return. How about scanning and posting a copy of your driver's license? We don't know your real name and address - please let everybody know that. A phone number would be great, too. How about work - where do you work?

That's just a scratch of the surface. I could delve much deeper, but I don't think that it would be appropriate for the forum. The long and the short of it is everybody has something to hide, mainly because it's just purely nobody else's business.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

36Drew wrote:The long and the short of it is everybody has something to hide, mainly because it's just purely nobody else's business.

So, do you run away and hide when a police cruiser passes to avoid being on camera? Cause this is no different.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

36Drew wrote:
goatboy wrote:
grumpydigger wrote:It is not hypocritical at all, it all boils down to the fact that the public still has trust issues with the RCMP using , editing, and securing the video in the proper manner.

We do? Some examples please.

Taken from http://www.am1150.ca/News/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1437107:

Representatives of the B.C. Civil Liberties have already expressed their concerns of the cameras, saying officers can destroy the evidence.

I've already expressed my own concern in a previous post, and I believe a couple of others here have as well.

Concerns and reality are two completely different things. Grumpy stated that the public has issues with the RCMP using , editing, and securing the video in the proper manner, and I asked for some examples of when this has happened.

And of course if the BC Civil Liberties have a concern over something then it must be true.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

36Drew wrote:If I'm not doing anything wrong, then you have no cause to watch me.

If you're not doing anything wrong, you won't be talking to them anyway.
Do you know how often you're probably recorded in a day without your knowledge?

Because the government gets to define what's wrong, and they keep changing the definition.

That would be a daily concern with or without cameras then.

Because you might do something wrong with my information.

It can happen anywhere with anything, not just the police. So you should be paranoid of everything and everyone around you.

I find your statement to be entirely uneducated, weak, and undeserving of the protections of the Canadian Charter.

I find yours paranoid and ignorant, I guess we're even. And who are you to determine if I'm "worthy" of protection of the charter? You're inflicting the same power you fear. Hypocrite.

If you truly feel that you have nothing to hide, then I have a series of rather candid questions that you should feel free to answer on the public forum...

Sure, if you can prove to me you walk around in public naked, because you're asking me to do the same thing in this case. Another hypocrisy.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Seeing that you are obviously already interacting with a police officer to be on camera, the only invasion of your privacy would be if the video ended up being seen in a public place. If this were to ever happen, then it would be a valid concern. The interaction would have still happened, the only difference is there is now a recorded record of it. It's like a very detailed and accurate note book that the officers already record information in.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

36Drew wrote:
Lore wrote:
36Drew wrote:

How much did you make last year? Please post a copy of your income tax return. How about scanning and posting a copy of your driver's license? We don't know your real name and address - please let everybody know that. A phone number would be great, too. How about work - where do you work?

That's just a scratch of the surface. I could delve much deeper, but I don't think that it would be appropriate for the forum. The long and the short of it is everybody has something to hide, mainly because it's just purely nobody else's business.

Ridiculous questions for YOU to be asking the general public!
However, I would have no trouble at all answering any of those questions to a police officer.
Can you really not see the difference?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Captain Awesome wrote:
36Drew wrote:The long and the short of it is everybody has something to hide, mainly because it's just purely nobody else's business.

So, do you run away and hide when a police cruiser passes to avoid being on camera? Cause this is no different.

No, I do not. An as I already said, I do not object to the cameras. I went a little off-topic and countered an oft-quoted yet weak argument. My statement to that effect is in no way a statement against the recording of police interactions in a public environment.

Being outdoors and in public removes one's "reasonable expectation of privacy" - thus being recorded by the police video or photographed by Gramma Freddy is perfectly fine. My only concerns with the police video are:

1 - how is sensitive information handled and protected?
2 - in the event that the videos are being used for evidence, how is the integrity of the video capture guaranteed?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've yet to have a police officer ask me about my tax return. How can anyone claim invasion of privacy when out in public? There are cameras installed in various places and tourists do take photos without regard to who's in the background and cell phones are everywhere. Ottawa is in the process of developing guidelines regarding police cams. Personal cams have been instrumental in prosecuting criiminals so I don't see a major issue with them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

36Drew wrote:My only concerns with the police video are:

2 - in the event that the videos are being used for evidence, how is the integrity of the video capture guaranteed?

How your concerns are being addressed with dash cameras? Because that information is protected, and used for evidence also. You seem to have no problem with dash cameras, and since body cameras are most likely to be used in exact same way...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Captain Awesome wrote:

How your concerns are being addressed with dash cameras? Because that information is protected, and used for evidence also. You seem to have no problem with dash cameras, and since body cameras are most likely to be used in exact same way...

Will the Cam's record the conversations between police and the public?
That would be a good thing, as it would expose the arrogence of some cops as well as the perp's.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

36Drew wrote:

The cops don't do polls or ask you questions that you'd be embarrased to answer.

When was the last time a cop asked you a question you felt uncomfortable answering? Further more, what do you think they are going to do with these videos? Post them on Youtube?
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

fvkasm2x wrote:
36Drew wrote:

The cops don't do polls or ask you questions that you'd be embarrased to answer.

When was the last time a cop asked you a question you felt uncomfortable answering? Further more, what do you think they are going to do with these videos? Post them on Youtube?

Unless you have commited a crime or are suspect of a crime or driving a cop can't even ask you to show your ID.
let alone take a poll.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Captain Awesome wrote:

I would and do have exactly the same concerns. There has been the odd instance of said dash cam recordings that have gone missing or otherwise have been destroyed.

Return to “B.C.”