Kelowna RCMP Wearing Video Cameras

skydawg
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna RCMP Wearing Video Cameras

Post by skydawg »

Anyone know what kind of cameras they are?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.spytechs.com/spy_cameras/pol ... camera.htm
Didn't realize how many different styles there are but must be small enough to fit on a pair of sunglasses or attached to their shoulder. I read Austin Texas is trying them out but Toronto police don't have the budget for the cams (yet).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kelofornia
Übergod

Post by kelofornia »

"Body Cams" have been in use in different places in Europe for years with little effect on crime, and there main purpose is for collecting data in public not solely for crime prevention or deterrant as suggested by the RCMP.

Welcome to the big world people.

Many images can be misconstrued as was the case with photo radar.

You want an image of me or my family you had best have reason for a mugshot.
kelofornia
Übergod

Post by kelofornia »

I would like to hear more information as to how these cameras will be used. Will they be powered on for an entire shift and an officer's duties will be followed. (like how much private/personal business they conduct on the public dime) But that footage would likely be deleted and no reprimand for the offence.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Never thought that cameras were used to deter crime but to help solve crime.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
vmichelle
Fledgling

Post by vmichelle »

Fancy wrote:Never thought that cameras were used to deter crime but to help solve crime.

I think to some degree people will limit some of what they say and do knowing that its being recorded.

I'd also like to know more about how they censor the videos, is it being filmed non-stop or does the cop have control to stop/start filming as they please, can they delete videos that have been recorded, are they going to be stored for long periods of time or delete footage after x days?
Scuba
Fledgling

Post by Scuba »

kelofornia wrote:"Body Cams" have been in use in different places in Europe for years with little effect on crime, and there main purpose is for collecting data in public not solely for crime prevention or deterrant as suggested by the RCMP.

Welcome to the big world people.

Many images can be misconstrued as was the case with photo radar.

You want an image of me or my family you had best have reason for a mugshot.

If you are out in public you can't expect to have privacy, and if someone takes your mugshot there's not a da*m thing you can do about it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Scuba wrote:
If you are out in public you can't expect to have privacy, and if someone takes your mugshot there's not a da*m thing you can do about it.

Exactly ... I take pictures "out in public" frequently. If you are part of a street or a park scene or at an event, chances are good you are "on camera". It's perfectly legal and nobody needs your permission to take those pictures.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

The funniest thing about this topic is the hypocrisy of the public in some cases.

If the cops record you, it's an invasion of privacy. However, if you whip out your cell phone to record a cop... you're doing so in the public interest.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

It is not hypocritical at all, it all boils down to the fact that the public still has trust issues with the RCMP using , editing, and securing the video in the proper manner.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

kelofornia wrote:Many images can be misconstrued as was the case with photo radar.

lame argument. Just because BC doesn't use them doesn't mean they're not in use in the rest of the country. Watch for anything that looks like a van on the side of the road in Alberta. Heck, in Edmonton they even had Photo radar disguised as Utility boxes.

Personally, I'm all for the body cameras. You only have something to worry about if you have something to hide.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

Attachments
images.jpg
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Police been recording using dash cameras for years. It's the exact same principal but applied to foot patrols now.

Not a new concept....
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Phoenix Within wrote:You only have something to worry about if you have something to hide.

• If I'm not doing anything wrong, then you have no cause to watch me.
  • Because the government gets to define what's wrong, and they keep changing the definition.
  • Because you might do something wrong with my information.

While I think the cameras are a good idea, but do have some issues regarding the capture of sensitive information and the integrity of that which is captured - I find your statement to be entirely uneducated, weak, and undeserving of the protections of the Canadian Charter. If you truly feel that you have nothing to hide, then I have a series of rather candid questions that you should feel free to answer on the public forum...
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

grumpydigger wrote:It is not hypocritical at all, it all boils down to the fact that the public still has trust issues with the RCMP using , editing, and securing the video in the proper manner.

We do? Some examples please.

Return to “B.C.”