How will you vote in the HST referendum?

How will you vote in the HST referendum?

YES to extinguish the HST and to return to the PST
57%
NO to keep the HST
43%

Total votes: 96

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: How will you vote in the HST referendum?

Post by Rwede »

Ninety-one economists rally behind HST

By Jock Finlayson and Kevin Milligan, Vancouver Sun

The referendum on the harmonized sales tax and the provincial sales tax/federal goods and services tax system presents an important choice for British Columbians. As the ballots arrive, we think it is important as economists to speak out on how we view the debate.

We are united in the belief that switching back to the old PST/ GST system is the wrong way to address important social and economic problems.

It is well known that value added taxes (like the HST) are superior to retail sales taxes (like the old PST). Because the PST taxed some inputs at every stage of production, the cascade of compounding taxes led to higher tax rates on investment. The HST, in contrast, taxes only final products at a clear and transparent rate. This is why 140 countries in the world use value-added taxes like the HST, and only a few jurisdictions in Canada and the United States still use taxes like the PST.

Economists know that removing a penalty to investment will produce more investment in capital goods like equipment, machinery and buildings. These investments support growth in jobs and wages. Removing barriers like the PST from the tax system is best for the long-run prosperity of B.C.

Many economists are also concerned about the fairness of outcomes. The new HST credit, by providing $230 per year for each family member in low-income families, helps improve the fairness of the HST. By exempting basic food and rent, the HST's burden on lower income households is again lightened.

We believe the HST represents a step forward for our tax system and economy. We urge you to consider this when you fill in your ballots.

Jock Finlayson is executive vicepresident of policy at the Business Council of British Columbia. Kevin Milligan is associate professor of economics at the University of British Columbia. They submitted this letter with the support of 89 more economists from the academic and private sectors.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Wonder if those are the same economists that agreed with the Liberals original BS predictions for the income, jobs created etc. from the HST that has been blown completely out of the water by the independent panel (who by the way even put "might" on the possibility it might produce even the much fewer jobs they predicted). Or maybe they were the same ones advising the Liberals about the recession when they didn't even realize we were in one till it was half over. Even when it comes budget time they are amazed at how much larger the deficit was than they thought. Hope no one listens to them for their personal finances.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Smurf wrote:Wonder if those are the same economists that agreed with the Liberals original BS predictions for the income, jobs created etc. from the HST that has been blown completely out of the water by the independent panel (who by the way even put "might" on the possibility it might produce even the much fewer jobs they predicted). Or maybe they were the same ones advising the Liberals about the recession when they didn't even realize we were in one till it was half over. Even when it comes budget time they are amazed at how much larger the deficit was than they thought. Hope no one listens to them for their personal finances.

Right on, Smurf!

An economist's guess is liable to be as good as anybody else's.

Will Rogers

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today.

Laurence J. Peter
Chill
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I think argument over HST turned into links battle.

One party has all the links and studies they have to prove that HST causes people go broke, eat their own eyeballs, and pay gazillion dollars in extra taxes.

The other side has all the links and studies to show that HST is the best thing since sliced bread.

Stalemate, of sorts.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Madtaxi
Fledgling

Post by Madtaxi »

Yes
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Captain Awesome wrote:I think argument over HST turned into links battle.

One party has all the links and studies they have to prove that HST causes people go broke, eat their own eyeballs, and pay gazillion dollars in extra taxes.

The other side has all the links and studies to show that HST is the best thing since sliced bread.

Stalemate, of sorts.

Those stickmen ads are actually pretty accurate......
Back with a vengeance
Madtaxi
Fledgling

Post by Madtaxi »

by Al Czervic » Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:10 pm

sooperphreek wrote:
hey al.......are you gonna start a riot when the hst gets voted against? you seem so passionate about it. LOL

NO…I did better and am moving to Alberta instead. However I will laugh my *bleep* off when taxes get cranked up way more then they are now and I will go back to getting PST free boat moorage and golf club dues while low income folks loose their HST credits.

What will be even more gratifying is when other taxes get cranked through the roof to offset the costs of hiring more bureaucracy and to recover other PST inefficiencies all so some folks can have PST free haircuts and appies and a 35 cent cheaper McHappy meal.

It will be fun to watch….but the best part is when the politicians responsible will sit back and collect their fully indexed pensions and those who thought they were sending a “message” will be the ones who ultimately foot the bill paying for those pensions. The biggest charade about the HST is the myth that somehow the rich and “business” will pay if BC will go back to the PST. If you really want to know why the rich get richer it is because of the idiots who think they are making business pay. These loons cannot figure it out….of course every economist on the planet can tell them that the HST makes the rich pay far more but they just don’t’ get it. It’s fun to watch stupidity at work and a millionaire like Bill Vanderscalm pull the wool over so many people’s eyes.Al Czervic
Castanet ÜberStar

Don't let the door hit you in the %^& on the way out. :dyinglaughing:
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I'll bet Al is not alone. I wonder how many will leave the province over this mess? You have to admit a stable situation in Alberta does look good right now and I don't believe our mess will be cleaned up for a long time no matter which way we go. We're slipping and sliding in Doo Doo folks. Be careful not to fall.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Even for those who stay, there are still many many ways to save money and avoid taxes. Both small business and government revenues will suffer should enough people decide to get on that bandwagon.

Edit to add: Government of course can always increase the various taxes and fees to get more revenue, but local small business cannor force people to spend money with them, even if their consumption and income taxes are reduced to zero.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
daedalus
Board Meister

Post by daedalus »

As much as I hate it, i'm voting no. Keep the tax, vote against the party.

Sorry if some or all of this has been said already.
If we repeal the HST we do owe the federal government 1.6 billion, plus other costs. We are already are in deficit spending, our education and healthcare systems are straining (with higher class size, closure of schools, and ever increasing health care demand). If we repeal it where does that 1.6 billion+ come from? Education? Infrastructure? Health care?

If anything we need to lower the amount of taxes needed, so reducing frivolous spending would be better, like the "you worked for the government for a couple weeks, here is a large retirement package and a generous pension" scenario that pops up every so often. Using a city example, did we really need to give someone 80000 to change the logo to something not wanted? There are probably many similar things that happened on a provincial level that people could point out.
Or stop delaying on the several court cases that are dragging on in the courts for years and years with no end in sight (bc legislative raids, native land claims, ect), at this point, the only people winning in those and similar cases are the lawyers.
Penguin avatar: http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1816/penguinsnc5.gif
The poor penguin gets revenge: http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/13/penguin_revenge.gif
sjkean
Fledgling

Post by sjkean »

The important thing is to vote and mail your HST Referendum
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

AM 1150 has a poll running right now ...

Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) and reinstating the PST (Provincial Sales Tax) in conjunction with the GST (Goods and Services Tax)?
Yes 38.4%
No 61.6%
UPDATED: 7/12/2011 10:37:11 AM
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

God I hope that keeps up.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) and reinstating the PST (Provincial Sales Tax) in conjunction with the GST (Goods and Services Tax)?
Yes 38.4%
No 61.6%

Hmmmmm....People are smarter than I thought.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Kamloops AM station, 610 RadioNL, also has an HST poll running:
    55% to keep the HST
    45% to get rid of the HST
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”