Are we sick enough with the HST stick-man ads yet?

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Are we sick enough with the HST stick-man ads yet?

Post by Nebula »

If you really believe families and all the destitute masses out there are better off paying more tax, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. You've clearly made up your mind... Bash the Liberals and to hell with everything else.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, at least we have a fair tax that affects everybody equally, not just one side of income spectrum...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

But, CA, dontcha get it? It's a Liberal Tax, therefore it's bad. If it was an NDP tax, it could cost twice as much but be okay.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
sjkean
Fledgling

Post by sjkean »

HST Referendum.... please vote and mail your ballot!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nebula wrote:But, CA, dontcha get it? It's a Liberal Tax, therefore it's bad. If it was an NDP tax, it could cost twice as much but be okay.

:137: please tell me you recognize the irony in that statement
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I visit my mom in a seniors building...gonna fill out all the ballots they put in the recycling (found 18 so far) with a big fat YES... :dyinglaughing: just kidding; but really what's stopping a person?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

coffeeFreak wrote:I visit my mom in a seniors building...gonna fill out all the ballots they put in the recycling (found 18 so far) with a big fat YES... :dyinglaughing: just kidding; but really what's stopping a person?

Laws? Morals?

Are you familar with those? Do you understand the ramifications of going to prison for fraud, forgery, and violations of the Elections Act? Do you understand what it means when you sign your ballot, and what you're attesting to?

I hope so.

Corrupt voting
257 (1) An individual who does any of the following commits an offence:

(a) votes in an election when not entitled to do so;

(b) contravenes section 89 regarding voting more than once in an election;

(c) contravenes section 105 (3) by applying for more than one alternative absentee voting package;

(d) contravenes section 109 (6) by failing to mark a ballot in accordance with the directions of the voter being assisted;

(e) obtains a ballot in the name of another individual, whether the name is of a living or dead individual or of a fictitious individual.

(2) An individual who commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable to one or more of the penalties referred to in section 255 (7).

255 (7) An individual or organization who contravenes this section commits an offence and is liable to one or more of the following penalties:

(a) a fine of not more than $20 000;

(b) imprisonment for a term not longer than 2 years;

(c) a prohibition for a period of not longer than 7 years from holding office as a member of the Legislative Assembly;

(d) a prohibition for a period of not longer than 7 years from voting in an election for a member of the Legislative Assembly.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

RichardWede wrote:
coffeeFreak wrote:I visit my mom in a seniors building...gonna fill out all the ballots they put in the recycling (found 18 so far) with a big fat YES... :dyinglaughing: just kidding; but really what's stopping a person?

Laws? Morals?

Are you familar with those? Do you understand the ramifications of going to prison for fraud, forgery, and violations of the Elections Act? Do you understand what it means when you sign your ballot, and what you're attesting to?

I hope so.

Corrupt voting
257 (1) An individual who does any of the following commits an offence:

(a) votes in an election when not entitled to do so;

(b) contravenes section 89 regarding voting more than once in an election;

(c) contravenes section 105 (3) by applying for more than one alternative absentee voting package;

(d) contravenes section 109 (6) by failing to mark a ballot in accordance with the directions of the voter being assisted;

(e) obtains a ballot in the name of another individual, whether the name is of a living or dead individual or of a fictitious individual.

(2) An individual who commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable to one or more of the penalties referred to in section 255 (7).

255 (7) An individual or organization who contravenes this section commits an offence and is liable to one or more of the following penalties:

(a) a fine of not more than $20 000;

(b) imprisonment for a term not longer than 2 years;

(c) a prohibition for a period of not longer than 7 years from holding office as a member of the Legislative Assembly;

(d) a prohibition for a period of not longer than 7 years from voting in an election for a member of the Legislative Assembly.

Get a grip Richard...didn't you read the last part of my post? Of course I wouldn't fill out someone else's ballot, but what is stopping others? This vote is such a farce because the outcome is completely dependent on ALL British Columbians doing the honourable thing and only filling out one ballot...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how often and how consistently you come up with these nuggets of insight. Somewhere along the way you definitely found wisdom.

Oh no, it wasn't me who came up with all that, I just happen to agree with Winston Churchill -

Winston Churchill wrote:The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.

And an important reason why the Chinese are kicking the snot out of us.........communist capatilism. Leadership there is able to react swiflty to adjust to market conditions without having to pander to every special interest group and dumbed down voters. Things get done. A vote such as our HST referendum would be unheard of there for exactly the reason and wisdon of Churchlls comment. Democracy only truly works when 100% of the electorate participate and 100% of the electorate bother to be informed. If it were not for human rights issues, their system would sadly be superior to ours.
Gordo should never have caved for a binding referendum. He should have resigned with a referendum loss, left the HST in place and let the sitting gov't fufill it's current mandate. Let the cards fall where they might at that point in a general election. The NDP would be forced to come up with a platform on the issue if they continued to oppose the tax. Now all they are doing is opposing without any alternative policy direction.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “B.C.”