ICBC - Facial recognition software to help police ?

goatboy
Guru

Re: ICBC - Facial recognition software to help police ?

Post by goatboy »

What's the difference between the camera matching a face to a data base of criminals and the "most wanted" pictures we already post. Doesn't a police officer use facial recognition everyday anyway?
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

grumpydigger wrote:It will happen.

The erosion of civil rights and privacy has been going on quite steadily for years.

Of course in the name, of public safety :eyeballspin:

If you told someone 20 years ago, that a cop could confiscate your car, have huge fines issued, suspend your license without allowing you the right to a lawyer, judge and a court date...........they would have been terrified...............but now the government and the police have people so brainwashed the loss of their civil rights and privacy........is okay.

About five years, of propaganda shoved down the citizens throats by the police and the government is what it's going to take.

All for your safety............ of course :nutzoid:

Then I guess grumpydigger you had better be lawful little boy or girl than, you know the saying "play with fire you will get burned".
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

The erosion of civil rights and privacy has been going on quite steadily for years.

If you told someone 20 years ago, that a cop could confiscate your car, have huge fines issued, suspend your license without allowing you the right to a lawyer, judge and a court date...........they would have been terrified...............but now the government and the police have people so brainwashed the loss of their civil rights and privacy........is okay.

About five years, of propaganda shoved down the citizens throats by the police and the government is what it's going to take.

While I'm a strong believer in people's rights. If you go back much further, pre-Charter, you find the public's rights were, less, but were actually more logical MOST OF THE TIME.

In an effort to protect rights that the average citizen was not concerned they did not have, enter the Charter of Rights.

A costly document/law that has changed the complexion of Canadian law dramatically. In changing the duties of police, the government/courts have place a far greater onus on the police to justify their actions and report their actions to a point that some police functions have been complicated and more time consuming by ten times or more.

These onerous actions such as full disclosure to defense upon charge, search warrants, production orders etc, have made some previously one hour tasks (such as processing an impaired driver) to a 10 hour task, plus a more strick examination if and when the case goes to court.

IMO this protection of the accused's rights, has now caused this provincial government to enact provincial laws that have removed rights to enable efficient enforcement of drinking and driving legislation.

Now the issue of driver's license photo's being, for some reason, "confidential data" is the question.

Personally I could care less if the police had my DL photo available to them at the stroke of a key. All the other DL data is available to the police, why the heck, not the photo ?

If by having all the DL photo's in Canada available to every law enforcement officer in CANADA helps catch one criminal, I'm all for it. I'm much more in favor of that than removing the right to a presumption of innocents and a fair trial, under the MVA drinking and driving laws.

So, if stopped for suspected drinking and driving in BC, if deemed guilty by the cop on the street, you do not have the right to the presumption of innocent, you do not have the right to a fair and public trial where you can confront your accuser and cross examine him/her, BUT you have the right of privacy in that the police cannot get a photo of your face without legal authorization. Does that make sense to anyone ??

Benjamin Franklin: Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

WTHWYT wrote:

Then I guess grumpydigger you had better be lawful little boy or girl than, you know the saying "play with fire you will get burned".
I was expecting more around the lines of the old standby :eyeballspin: if you got nothing to hide you should have no problem with the government and the police....invading your privacy and denying your civil rights............some little boys and girls have a hard time standing up for themselves and allow their civil liberties to be taken away.......................
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Criminals have no rights.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Captain Awesome wrote:
grumpydigger wrote:The camera and the software Picks up a criminal face and gives out an alert to the officer.........It may take 10 or 20 years but it will happen.

10 or 20? More like 2-4.

You guys watch too much CSI.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

What ? All the stuff they do on the various CSI's isn't real ? Your identification squad handles most of your files, don't they ? You know, taking over files, doing interviews, getting into gun fights etc.. right ? and in Hummers too !

Next you're going to tell me something crazy like the "hard hitting", "police procedural" show Rookie Blues isn't accurate either,,, nah,,,, so it ain't so.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

B.C.'s privacy commissioner has to decided to investigate ICBC's use of facial recognition technology.

http://peachlandnews.com/blog/2011/07/24/privacy-commish-investigates-icbc-facial-recognition/
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

I have never watched CSI

But I do know that if the technology is there the cops and the government will try to use it.

And they usually fail. Just like their little experiment with the tasers.........how many people had to die before the RCMP got that experiment corrected :eyeballspin:
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

my5cents wrote:What ? All the stuff they do on the various CSI's isn't real ? Your identification squad handles most of your files, don't they ? You know, taking over files, doing interviews, getting into gun fights etc.. right ? and in Hummers too !

Next you're going to tell me something crazy like the "hard hitting", "police procedural" show Rookie Blues isn't accurate either,,, nah,,,, so it ain't so.

Yup. Cop shows suck. Can't watch them. Any of them. Had a trainer at Depot who told us that most cops can't stand watching cop dramas. I thought it was ridiculous. But after six months out in the real world of policing I knew exactly what he was talking about.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

grumpydigger wrote:I have never watched CSI

But I do know that if the technology is there the cops and the government will try to use it.

And they usually fail. Just like their little experiment with the tasers.........how many people had to die before the RCMP got that experiment corrected :eyeballspin:

Well the technology isn't there and likely won't be in our life times. Just like fingerprint matching which has been around for well over 100 years, it still takes a real person looking at the two prints to make the match. All the computer can do is considerably narrow down the search.

grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

The technology certainly is there. because the private sector uses it.

Perhaps your system, just need people smart enough to use it.

The database in the fingerprints , must be in the multimillions that would be narrowed down massively by the computer.

A computer scanner is far more accurate than any human being. the final human interaction will always be there.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

grumpydigger wrote:The technology certainly is there. because the private sector uses it.

Perhaps your system, just need people smart enough to use it.

The database in the fingerprints , must be in the multimillions that would be narrowed down massively by the computer.

A computer scanner is far more accurate than any human being. the final human interaction will always be there.

Yes the technology is out grumpydigger your correct. This is off topic sorry about that. Interesting thing I came across is Google just bought a player in facial recognition. Makes me wonder whats coming to your search engine soon.

link http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... re-company
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

KL3-Something wrote:Yup. Cop shows suck. Can't watch them. Any of them. Had a trainer at Depot who told us that most cops can't stand watching cop dramas. I thought it was ridiculous. But after six months out in the real world of policing I knew exactly what he was talking about.

Most recently the CSI shows are my biggest frustration because so many "just love the show and wouldn't miss it".

I love, on just about every cop show, or even cop movie, when the marked police car leaves with the suspect, it's with it's emergency lights and siren on. and to be in police world with no paper work.

Return to “B.C.”