It's now perfectly legal for me to slaughter 100 dogs in BC

Glacier
The Pilgrim

It's now perfectly legal for me to slaughter 100 dogs in BC

Post by Glacier »

BC has the most liberal wolf hunting laws in the industrialized world (you can shot 2 without any sort of reporting or tag and you can kill them with methods deemed illegal in the U.S. and Mexico), but they are now opening things up significantly in the ranching heartland of BC where anyone can now kill as many wolves as they want, whenever they want, and however they want (shooting, leg-hold traps, and poisoning, etc.).

This is the hoping mad environmentalist's perspective, of course.

On the other side of the fence, the the government knows that the only people will shot wolves are the odd rancher who has lost 10% of his income to wolves.

More details:

Under new wildlife regulations, there is no closed season and no bag limit on hunting wolves in 10 management units in the Cariboo region, which ranges to 100 Mile House, Williams Lake, Quesnel and the Chilcotin.

An annual hunting bag limit of three wolves is typical in B.C.

The changes also allow for unlimited trapping of wolves on private land with leghold traps in nine management units from April 1 to Oct. 14. Trapping normally takes place in winter.

Jennifer McLarty, spokeswoman for the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, said in a statement that the changes are meant to help cattle ranchers protect their herds from wolves.

“Anecdotal information from ranchers, stakeholders, ministry staff, and many local first nations suggests that wolf populations in the Cariboo region are at historically high levels and are having significant predatory impacts on livestock,” she said.

“Our biologists have determined that the Cariboo wolf population is healthy and more than able to sustain these new hunting and trapping opportunities.”

McLarty added there are no conservation concerns related to wolves, and that “they are extremely difficult to hunt and trap and their population growth and dispersal rates are higher than those of other carnivores.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/ ... z1U6Oj6z6w
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Re: It's now perfectly legal for me to slaughter 100 dogs in

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Your title is a little misleading, I thought this was regarding the 100 sled dogs at Whistler.

McLarty added there are no conservation concerns related to wolves, and that “they are extremely difficult to hunt and trap and their population growth and dispersal rates are higher than those of other carnivores.”

Lets just hope it stays that way and individuals don't get trap-happy with the gorgeous creatures.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

They're only gorgeous when they are in a photograph. When their jaws and fur are dripping with flesh and blood from killing your income, they are rather ugly.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

grammafreddy wrote:They're only gorgeous when they are in a photograph. When their jaws and fur are dripping with flesh and blood from killing your income, they are rather ugly.

Still sexy to me.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

strwbrrydvl wrote:Your title is a little misleading, I thought this was regarding the 100 sled dogs at Whistler.

HA! It got your attention as it was designed to do (I should work for the newspaper writing headlines or something), didn't it.

Otherwise with a plain old boring title you would have been thinking:
    "Wolves are allowed to be hunted in BC? Hmmm, maybe I'll click on this thread. No wait, the OP mostly just posts kooky stuff, so it's not worth clicking on the thread."

Instead your thought process went something like:
    "Oh my! NO, NOT THE DOGS!! I know it's only Glacier, but I really must read this thread... *clicks* ..."Phew, it's only wolves, but that jerk almost gave me a heart attack! Where are my meds? "
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 4th, 2011, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Glacier wrote:HA! It got your attention as it was designed to do (I should work for the newspaper writing headlines or something), didn't it.

Otherwise with a plain old boring title you would have been thinking:
    "Wolves are allowed to be hunted in BC? Hmmm, maybe I'll click on this thread. No wait, the OP mostly just posts kooky stuff, so it's not worth clicking on the thread."

Instead your thought process went something like:
    "Oh my! NO, NOT THE DOGS!! I know it's only Glacier, but I really must read this thread... *clicks* ..."Phew, it's only wolves, b that jerk almost gave me a heart attack! Where are my meds? "

Wow, you're like Evel Knievel of Internet forums.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

:coffeecanuck: You got the right CA
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

grammafreddy wrote:They're only gorgeous when they are in a photograph. When their jaws and fur are dripping with flesh and blood from killing your income, they are rather ugly.

That could also be said for any of the predatory animals we have in our back country. Heck, even a little Bambi would be terrifying if she's kicking at your head.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

strwbrrydvl wrote:

That could also be said for any of the predatory animals we have in our back country. Heck, even a little Bambi would be terrifying if she's kicking at your head.

That's very true.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

And us humans are no better, ever been to a big slaughter house? Not pretty. Get yourself a couple Russian Wolf hounds to protect your livestock, without the wolf, you would have a huge problem with coyotes, and that is even more dangerous.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Given the size and conditions of some of those Cariboo and Chilcotin Plateau ranches and range lands, I kinda doubt a Russian Wolfhound or six is gonna cut it.

Return to “B.C.”