Man challenges bike helmet law in BC

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Man challenges bike helmet law in BC

Post by Bsuds »

Bagotricks wrote:
Helmets are worth over 100 bucks. That's almost 2 months of insurance on my car. Why even bother trying to save money by biking?

$29-39+ at places like Sportchek or Wal Mart so that argument won't hold up.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Off-topic... so $600 a year for car insurance interesting, from were.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

RR24K wrote:Off-topic... so $600 a year for car insurance interesting, from were.

Maybe its what he's driving plus what he is covered for as well as his age and his driving record, not where he gets the insurance from that makes the difference. Mine is $750 a year with good coverage.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Bagotricks wrote:I don't wear a helmet.

And if you've read my comments, you'll know that I fully support your position.

Helmets may save your noodle

And if you've read my comments, you'll know that I disagree with the "may" in this point. Helmets *will* save your noodle - and not simply if you are hit by a car. Mind you, my bike is probably several hundred pounds heavier than your bike and has the capacity to move a lot quicker. The dynamics of going off, however, are the same.

I'd like to point you to this article: http://dontai.com/wp/2010/05/20/motorcycle-helmet-impact-zones/

Notice where the percentage of impact is greatest. It decreases as you go towards the top of the head. I could not find a similar article/pictoral for bicycle helmets - but I do know that going highside or lowside off a bicycle gives you the same impact points - albeit at a lower velocity. They do produce full-face BMX helmets for this reason.

Helmets are worth over 100 bucks. That's almost 2 months of insurance on my car. Why even bother trying to save money by biking?

I've seen bicycle helmets as low as $20. Yes, good helmets cost more. Look - if you're going to say helmets don't work, or cost too much - reality is that you're wrong. If you simply don't want to wear a helmet because you don't want to - then say so. That's your perogative. Yes, a lot of people will think you're an idiot (myself included) but I also agree that the law is a sign of a nanny-state.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Insurance companies would love it. If you are failing to comply with the law, no insurance. Think about it, 90% of all accidents are a result of someone failing to comply.

Red light violation, speeding ( #1 ), passing when unsafe, the list goes on.

Simply will not fly. I do like the line of thinking!!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

So, I'm riding my bike over to the girlfriends yesterday. I ride down Benvoulin into the Mission and every third car is exceeding the speed limit by at least 20 - 30 hmp/h with the odd few going well over 100.

Two questions

1)If I got hit by any one of these speeding cars, from behind and going at least 80 kmp/h, would a helmet actually help me ???
it might help me "survive" but I bet a dollar against a dollop *bleep* poop , my brain might be the only thing left of me and I wouldn't want to survive anyway.

2)Why, when cyclists are forced to ride on the roads, do they have to put their lives in the hands of idiot motorist who speed with such reckless impunity ? nevermind the other bad and dangerous habits that kill that go "unchecked" untill they cause a death... It's to bad that cops don't have the resources to PROPER traffic enforcement and that in lieu of it , laws are created for those who are at risk of the idiots on our roads..

If I get run down by a motorist on my bike in this town they head line will read : cyclist killed on ???? road. Alcohol NOT invovled. that's it....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

36Drew wrote:And if you've read my comments, you'll know that I disagree with the "may" in this point. Helmets *will* save your noodle - and not simply if you are hit by a car. Mind you, my bike is probably several hundred pounds heavier than your bike and has the capacity to move a lot quicker. The dynamics of going off, however, are the same.

Funny, I have fallen off my bike numerous times and always managed to protect my head. I learned to ride a bike without a helmet in the early 80's, and I was taught how to fall properly. Helmets *may* save my noodle, because so far after 30+ years of skateboarding and biking a helmet has not saved anything.

If you so concerned with my safety - lets start at cars. They travel much faster. I get in a race car, or a go-cart and I have to wear a helmet. When you have to wear one while driving, then we can talk about making me wear one on a bicycle.

I made some valid points which you mostly ignored. Why would it be my fault, a drain on the health system if I didn't wear a helmet and most likely got hit by a inattentive driver? Blame shooting victims for not wearing bullet proof vests? I run on the side of the street - make me wear a helmet then too?

Also, I laughed out loud with the "I can find you a helmet for under 20 dollars at Zellers!" comments. So I guess we are only talking complicity of the law and not actual LOGIC here - because if anyone thinks they are getting "adequate protection" when buying a 20 dollar or less piece of junk helmet made in China Ive got a bridge to sell them. You get what you pay for, and if we are talking about safety and head protection then spending 20 whole dollars will not cut it.

FYI if I rode regularly on the highway, I might wear one. Then again if I get hit at 65+km/hr I'm dead no matter what pretty much - my head might be intact but my organs and brain will be mush. At least I'm complicate to the law!

If I was a downhill mountain biker, I would wear one. I can assess my own risks thanks.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

*try reposting without the personal attack/Jo*
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

My opinion on wearing helmet or not should be up to rider, only exception is for kids. Head injuries can go in many direction, here an example Natasha Richardson (I know this was not a bike accident) appeared to be minor, but turned out it killed her.

I wear a helmet I have been riding for years and know how to fall and protect my head, I feel better to be safe then sorry. Once a head injury happens you can't reverse it.

Should be a law :smt102 , but should be commons sense.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Bagotricks wrote:
36Drew wrote:And if you've read my comments, you'll know that I disagree with the "may" in this point. Helmets *will* save your noodle - and not simply if you are hit by a car. Mind you, my bike is probably several hundred pounds heavier than your bike and has the capacity to move a lot quicker. The dynamics of going off, however, are the same.

Funny, I have fallen off my bike numerous times and always managed to protect my head. I learned to ride a bike without a helmet in the early 80's, and I was taught how to fall properly. Helmets *may* save my noodle, because so far after 30+ years of skateboarding and biking a helmet has not saved anything.

I learned how to ride my bike in the 70's, did plenty of rolls, received plenty of scrapes. I walked away from all of them. I won't, however, ride today without a helmet nor will I ride without other protective gear.

If you so concerned with my safety - lets start at cars. They travel much faster. I get in a race car, or a go-cart and I have to wear a helmet. When you have to wear one while driving, then we can talk about making me wear one on a bicycle.

I made some valid points which you mostly ignored. Why would it be my fault, a drain on the health system if I didn't wear a helmet and most likely got hit by a inattentive driver? Blame shooting victims for not wearing bullet proof vests? I run on the side of the street - make me wear a helmet then too?

Obviously it's you that ignored points made in posts. Let me put it in blunt form:

1 - I care more about the weeds I pull from the garden that I care about whether or not you choose to ride safely. I'm not very fond of the weeds.
2 - I did not say it would be your fault or a drain on the health system. In fact, I've said quite the opposite - the health system is there to cover all medical conditions regardless of cause.
3 - I think that, save for children who are unable to decide for themselves, helmet laws should be repealed. It helps to thin the herd.
4 - I ride a motorcycle. Plenty of motorcyclists ride around in sneakers, shorts, and a t-shirt. All the power to them. I feel naked, and wear full gear even in 40-degree weather.

My point being, quite simply, that I really don't care if you do or do not wear your safety gear. If you get hurt for lack of wearing it, then health insurance will cover you - that's what it's for. I won't ever *bleep* about it.

Also, I laughed out loud with the "I can find you a helmet for under 20 dollars at Zellers!" comments. So I guess we are only talking complicity of the law and not actual LOGIC here - because if anyone thinks they are getting "adequate protection" when buying a 20 dollar or less piece of junk helmet made in China Ive got a bridge to sell them. You get what you pay for, and if we are talking about safety and head protection then spending 20 whole dollars will not cut it.

The argument was that any helmet cost more than $200 - which is a complete and utter fabrication. $20 for a cheap bottom-of-the-line helment. $100 will get you something decent. Motorbike helmets start at $70. I wear a $300 helmet. To each their own.

FYI if I rode regularly on the highway, I might wear one. Then again if I get hit at 65+km/hr I'm dead no matter what pretty much - my head might be intact but my organs and brain will be mush. At least I'm complicate to the law!

If you rode without any other safety gear, then yes - you'd probably be toast.

I can assess my own risks thanks.

...a point to which I've already repeatedly stated.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “B.C.”