Typical of Governments, cuts Community Living

wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Re: Typical of Governments, cuts Community Living

Post by wthwyt »

This is so wrong what right do these people think they have to take bonuses. Which takes money from disable shame on you.

http://m.ctv.ca/bc/20111021/bc_communit ... .html#menu
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

WTHWYT wrote:This is so wrong what right do these people think they have to take bonuses. Which takes money from disable shame on you.

http://m.ctv.ca/bc/20111021/bc_communit ... .html#menu

From that:

NDP critic Nicholas Simons is suspicious about the Liberals' promise to reign in bonuses, saying they may try to hide them instead.

"They're probably going to do what they did for the former CEO and just roll his bonuses into his salary, and if that's the change she's suggesting I'm not sure people are going to be satisfied," he said.

"What people want is programs to be restored for people who need them," Simons said.

He said the bonus program is another reason for a full independent inquiry into the operations of CLBC, which the government has refused to do, saying an internal review of the agency is already under way.

This is outrageous!! Giving bonuses to managers who cut programs to cut costs and the bonuses end up costing MORE than the actual delivery of services. *bleep*.?????????
Chill
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I've worked in a couple of group homes for the developmentally disabled (I'm assuming they were contracted through community living, but not sure), but found the disparity of care in comparison to what seniors received too hard to take. The two group homes I worked in had between 5 and 8 clients with at least three and sometimes up to four staff including a manager. They grocery shopped at the local grocery stores, with each house (there are four in total) purchasing independently of each other (no bulk shopping). The smaller home had one handicap equipped van, while the other home had two. The clients were bathed almost daily, had outings to the rec centre and community events on a weekly basis.

Now contrast this to seniors care. I will share my own experience working in one well known and supposedly not-for-profit Christian society's complex care facility: 12 residents, two care aids to provide complete care, weekly baths (yes that's one per week), administer all meds (except insulin), do physio of required, make beds, do all laundry, cook all meals, feeding and/or feeding assists, do dishes and charting, with no extra staffing if resident needed palliative care. The residents were lucky if rec therapy would come in once per wk and never went out on the bus. It was also up to us to get the residents to activities in other buildings, unfortunately we were often too busy to do this.

I feel for the clients in these homes, but when I see how poorly our seniors are treated in comparison, it's difficult to feel too upset.
Last edited by coffeeFreak on Oct 22nd, 2011, 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

How any level of Government treats PWD, the young and the elderly says a lot about them. You treat these 3 groups with care, respect & give them help they need and deserve. For blank sake don't pull services they need & depend on.

Christy Clark families first it starting to look like a big joke......... I'm not laughing.
DaveC
Board Meister

Post by DaveC »

The Vancouver Sun has been running story after story of how CLBC has been cutting funding to people that desperately need it. They are absolutely heartbreaking, and are obvioulsy the tip of the iceberg.

This organisation makes me sick.

http://www.vancouversun.com/attempt+beat+poverty+hold/5642060/story.html
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

I don't know how much it would have cost in total to help these people, but the manager/director has been let go, and in addition to the bonuses received for hanging deveopmentally delayed persons out to dry he will also receive a $375,000 severence package. No money for workers, resources or services, but the money can always be found for a friend.
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

steven lloyd wrote:I don't know how much it would have cost in total to help these people, but the manager/director has been let go, and in addition to the bonuses received for hanging deveopmentally delayed persons out to dry he will also receive a $375,000 severence package. No money for workers, resources or services, but the money can always be found for a friend.

where did U see this information? ($375,000)??
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

toughnut wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:I don't know how much it would have cost in total to help these people, but the manager/director has been let go, and in addition to the bonuses received for hanging deveopmentally delayed persons out to dry he will also receive a $375,000 severence package. No money for workers, resources or services, but the money can always be found for a friend.

where did U see this information? ($375,000)??

Here:

Victoria, B.C. - The government agency under fire for closing group homes and cutting services to adults with developmental disabilities will pay $345,000 in severance to its former chief executive officer.

Community Living B.C. announced late Friday afternoon that Rick Mowles will receive the equivalent of 18 months salary in addition to benefits and pension contributions.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/health/For ... z1cqjJZu2Z
Chill
D suzuki
Fledgling

Post by D suzuki »

sickening, wheres the libs cheerleaders on this one? its not defendable is where they are
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

Victoria, B.C. - The government agency under fire for closing group homes and cutting services to adults with developmental disabilities will pay $345,000 in severance to its former chief executive officer.
Community Living B.C. announced late Friday afternoon that Rick Mowles will receive the equivalent of 18 months salary in addition to benefits and pension contributions.
Can anyone spell scumbags?
DaveC
Board Meister

Post by DaveC »

toughnut wrote:Victoria, B.C. - The government agency under fire for closing group homes and cutting services to adults with developmental disabilities will pay $345,000 in severance to its former chief executive officer.
Can anyone spell scumbags?

Yes I can:

B-C-L-I-B-E-R-A-L-S

Return to “B.C.”