Accused child abductor has a 'story to tell'

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Accused child abductor has a 'story to tell'

Post by Nebula »

NAB wrote:Sometimes I wonder who it is that REALLY has sexual identity issues.

Those who regularly have a problem with the sexual identity of others.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Nebula wrote:
Katfish1 wrote:The evidence that we the public has seen...in my opinion doesn't make this guy guilty of this particular offence.

I'd like to comment on this. I've seen this type of comment in other threads.

The underlying sense I get from some people is that they feel they deserve to see all of the evidence against Hopley right now, in public, in the open, so they can make up their minds about guilt or innocence.

Here's the kicker: You don't get to see the evidence until it's time and you won't be deciding Hopley's guilt or innocence. You are not owed those items.

You have made a decision about a person's guilt without all of the information. And you are not going to get that information any time soon.

Isn't it interesting though, that the police can release all or no information at will and directly influence public opinion?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Mr. Personality wrote:Isn't it interesting though, that the police can release all or no information at will and directly influence public opinion?

Under the circumstances, with a trial pending, the police would not release all of the information they have. I would also counter your argument of directly influencing public opinion to the public, in general, is too quick to assume and infer.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Nebula wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:Isn't it interesting though, that the police can release all or no information at will and directly influence public opinion?

Under the circumstances, with a trial pending, the police would not release all of the information they have. I would also counter your argument of directly influencing public opinion to the public, in general, is too quick to assume and infer.

The media on the other hand.....
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

NAB wrote:
Nebula wrote:

Well this is the thing. The police release the information to the media who give it to the public.
After all these years, the police know what reaction from the media any given piece of information will get. The media reaction determines the majority of public opinion.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

..but then, the police do tend to grandstand on occasion too, and have done so in this case.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

It almost seems as if they're deliberately being confusing on this one.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Should do their job and ask relevant questions, report facts without personal spin and investigate as opposed to fluff up news pieces to feed a prurient audience. News outlets in general are nothing but gossip factories that cater to attracting advertising dollars. Webster and Bannerman are chewing the lining out of their coffins. Such a pity we have such sluggards and kowtowers who are supposed to actually report NEWS but instead prostitute their talents.
Chill
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

No matter what a reporter reported, no matter how that thing was reported, someone would complain about it.
Last edited by Nebula on Sep 15th, 2011, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

flamingfingers wrote:

Should do their job and...

make money?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Nebula wrote:Blah, blah, blah. No matter what a reporter reported, no matter how that thing was reported, someone would complain about it.

So, "investigating reporting" is asking what was the name of the dog that tracked down Hopley? Sure. Snerk.
Chill
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Nebula wrote:Blah, blah, blah. No matter what a reporter reported, no matter how that thing was reported, someone would complain about it.

Well, there are reporters, and then there are reporters. Too many who think they are, ...are not.

Nab
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

flamingfingers wrote:So, "investigating reporting" is asking what was the name of the dog that tracked down Hopley? Sure. Snerk.

It's called investigative reporting.

So a reporter asks the name of the dog that tracked down Hopley and you're ready to paint all journalists with the same brush? Did every news outlet out make that item their lead? I don't think so. Besides, some people may find that particular tidbit interesting. It certainly doesn't detract from other information reported in this case.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

NAB wrote:Well, there are reporters, and then there are reporters. Too many who think they are, ...are not.

I agree. And many armchair quarterbacks out there think they can do everything better, including reporting, and they can't.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Nebula wrote:
NAB wrote:Well, there are reporters, and then there are reporters. Too many who think they are, ...are not.

I agree. And many armchair quarterbacks out there think they can do everything better, including reporting, and they can't.

LOL. The armchair quarterbacks aren't the ones doing the reporting (or what weakly passes for it these days). They don't think they can do it better, because it isn't their job. It's the reporters job - and so far too many of them stink at doing it.

Nab

Return to “B.C.”