Ottawa threatens to withdraw RCMP from BC.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Ottawa threatens to withdraw RCMP from BC.

Post by grammafreddy »

There's nothing to stop the province from signing another 5-year deal with the feds for the RCMP and getting a provincial police force off the ground at the same time - with the anticipation that at the end of the RCMP contract, the new force would take over.

However ................................. there are already major issues surrounding the lack of willingness to share information between existing police forces and a new provincial force adds one more level of policing that may or may not want to "share nicely". In the Picton case, the forces and their various agencies did not share and that's one of the reasons it continued as long as it did. However, it certainly isn't the only reason - local, provincial and federal politicians also compounded the problems - each protecting their own little empires.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Fancy wrote:
grumpydigger wrote:There'll certainly be complaints with the provincial force.

But there will also be accountability To the province of British Columbia.........

It is truly amazing That anyone who wants accountability from a police force....Is labeled either a police basher or police hater

It's amazing you think that - I certainly didn't say anything of the sort.

You did say this...
Fancy wrote:
Snarf wrote:And with a Provincial Police force there will be no more complaints? Riiiiiight...
I am satisfied with the RCMP, but Harper's government can take their scare tactics and shove them!
:boxer:

Of course there will be complaints because the cop bashers will say the exRCMP were hired - and there's why the complaints.

which implies that only "cop bashers" would complain about police.

Fancy wrote:No one is forcing the the province to sign a new contract - there is the choice to do so or not. I don't see how the RCMP is intimidating anyone regarding the contract?

No, the province isn't being forced to sign anything. But the federal government is saying "do it our way, no room for negotiating to address your concerns, take it or leave it. Typical Conservative BS. It's not forcing, it's really closer to extortion.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I had no intention of implying that. Those that continuously "bash" police just because they are police are those who I was referring to - not those that have legitimate issues. Huge difference. It appears this contract may be tweaked a little more that will be satisfactory to BC.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Fancy wrote:
I had no intention of implying that. Those that continuously "bash" police just because they are police are those who I was referring to - not those that have legitimate issues. Huge difference.

I know there's a huge difference. Your claim was the reason for complaints towards a provincial force were "Of course there will be complaints because the cop bashers will say the exRCMP were hired - and there's why the complaints."
I would guess no matter what the police force there will be complaints, and legitimate ones. Your post seemed to say otherwise. Apologies if that's really what you meant.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I do see I could have worded my post better. My concern with what I am reading in the papers is the thinking that BC should have a much better deal than Alberta and Saskatchewan. I can't see that happening. I also can't see a provincial force being financially a good decision unless everyone is willing to see their taxes go up and up.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Fancy wrote: I also can't see a provincial force being financially a good decision unless everyone is willing to see their taxes go up and up.

In concert with the unimaginably humungous tax-funded costs that are going to be downloaded onto the provinces with the feds “get tough on crime” initiatives that would be fun to watch.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Fancy wrote:I do see I could have worded my post better. My concern with what I am reading in the papers is the thinking that BC should have a much better deal than Alberta and Saskatchewan. I can't see that happening. I also can't see a provincial force being financially a good decision unless everyone is willing to see their taxes go up and up.

It's not that BC should have a better deal. It's the fact the Federal government is bullying the Province into signing a deal no matter what concerns the province may have.
Honestly, I'd rather my taxes go up than be bullied by a government who puts little-to-no stock in BC other than as a tax base.

Return to “B.C.”