Young actress/model/student shot dead at B.C. university

Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Young actress/model/student shot dead at B.C. university

Post by Woodenhead »

Yup.

And it didn't imply racism to me, either, but was simply another example of how the majority jumps to those kinds of conclusions, thanks to the crap we're constantly exposed to these days. (via varying media etc.)
Your bias suits you.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

mammamoon wrote:I find the comment from Gramma Freddy rather grinding on my fairly tolerant and accepting nerves. Again, you may pass it off as something else, but sounded pretty judgemental to me. :ohmygod:

Only because you chose to see it that way.

All I did was post a link to a possible reason why she was murdered. There was no racism, no intolerance, no bias and no judgement involved. The story (did you actually read it?) was the words of a young Canadian Muslim woman and what life is like for them here in Canada and what is expected of them by the men in their families. It also spells out what happens to them if they are not good little Muslim women. I didn't say any of it - she did. Does it makes sense to you for women in Canada to be treated like that?

Have a cup of Valerian tea to settle those nerves.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

I think was he was trying to say is why did you automatically think/assume "honour killing" when you saw the picture of the woman who was murdered. Highly doubt "honour killing" would have been your first thought if the picture featured a Caucasian female.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

How about because I read the link in his OP and also a few other news items as well. Her photo had no bearing on anything, but her beauty may have been her undoing ...

I don't think she was murdered solely because she was beautiful - do you? But there is a very good chance the reason for the murder may have something to do with her religion and her family's religious values. She wouldn't be the first young Canadian Muslim female who was murdered and she won't be the last, either.

And fercrissakes don't call me racist or bigoted or any other flavour-of-the-month-club-I-tolerate-everything BS. I detest all religions equally.

Caucasians don't have honour killings in the same sense that Muslims do. No, I would not automatically think of that if she was Caucasian. However, she is (was) not.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

If the ex-boy 'friend ' was Sikh, it could be called an 'honor killing' to preserve HIS honor. He did it or had someone else do the actual shooting. But I do not believe that her immediate family arranged a traditional 'honor killing.'
Chill
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

She wouldn't be the first young Canadian Muslim female who was murdered and she won't be the last, either.

Sikhs are NOT Muslims GF - please inform yourself!
Chill
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

razzledazzle wrote:
Massive Investigation in Surrey killing
by The Canadian Press - Story: 65358
Sep 29, 2011 / 7:16 pm

Between 40 and 50 police officers in Surrey are trying to solve the shooting death of a 19-year-old model, actor and student.

50 cops to investigate this 1 murder!!!!!!!, why don't they put 50 cops on the unsolved killings on highway 16 from PG to PR

:rate10: I'm with you razzle! Yes it''s sad she was murdered, but why so many cops?!!!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

coffeeFreak wrote:I'm with you razzle! Yes it''s sad she was murdered, but why so many cops?!!!

Probably because time is of the essence.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote:
coffeeFreak wrote:I'm with you razzle! Yes it''s sad she was murdered, but why so many cops?!!!

Exactly.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

flamingfingers wrote:
She wouldn't be the first young Canadian Muslim female who was murdered and she won't be the last, either.

I know Sikhs are not Muslims. I never said they were. So are you saying she was Sikh and not Muslim? How can you tell? Perhaps it is a moot point because the Sikhs don't treat their women much better. They are still second-class citizens and must bow to the fancies of the men in their lives. My landlord's wife would NEVER consider walking beside her husband - she is always several steps behind him. ALWAYS.

coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

:ohmygod: Is there a bulls-eye on your forehead GF cause it seems you are on a hit list here, or is there a full moon out?

As for honour killings, my bad, I too thought the same as soon as I saw her picture.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

grammafreddy wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:

I know Sikhs are not Muslims. I never said they were. So are you saying she was Sikh and not Muslim? How can you tell? Perhaps it is a moot point because the Sikhs don't treat their women much better. They are still second-class citizens and must bow to the fancies of the men in their lives. My landlord's wife would NEVER consider walking beside her husband - she is always several steps behind him. ALWAYS.

Well, you said it..
Chill
razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

steven lloyd wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:

Exactly.

And time is not of the essence on the highyway 16 murders?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

flamingfingers wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:

Well, you said it..

Nooooooooooooo ... I did NOT say Sikhs are Muslims. Cripes. I perhaps made a mistake on what this girl was, but that's hardly saying Sikhs are Muslims. Either way, they don't have much respect for their females when it comes to their religious beliefs - IMO. And yes ... I KNOW you have one or the other in your family so feel compelled to jump into this thread to belabour the point. So what is she - Muslim or Sikh?

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

coffeeFreak wrote::ohmygod: Is there a bulls-eye on your forehead GF cause it seems you are on a hit list here, or is there a full moon out?

As for honour killings, my bad, I too thought the same as soon as I saw her picture.

There's always a bulls-eye on my forehead when I mention race, cultural traditions or religions. It's those flavour-of-the-month-club-PC-I-love-everybody folks.

Return to “B.C.”