What am I missing ?

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: What am I missing ?

Post by grammafreddy »

Advocate wrote:
Because they cost the system more caused by their smoking?
They will do better by adding that premium to the cost of the cigarettes.

But smokers already pay more in taxes - on their smokes. In fact, they pay taxes on top of taxes - a government double-dip.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

If somebody has a higher chance of costing the system more, than they should have to pay more. Legality has nothing to do with it, that person chooses to partake in an activity that causes harm to their body, therefore should have to pay more into the system so that us healthy individuals are not penalized for another persons stupid choice.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

i agree, unknown, lets hike up the msp premiums on

those who purchase from all fast food restaurants
those who buy junk food from grocery and convenience stores
those who buy booze
those who get cataracts
those who reach age 60 +
those who play sports, especially extreme sports
those who do not floss
those who attend concerts
those who text and drive or talk on cell phones while driving

lets not stop at just the smokers...lets get everyone who costs the health care system BIG dollars....
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

UnknownResident wrote:If somebody has a higher chance of costing the system more, than they should have to pay more. Legality has nothing to do with it, that person chooses to partake in an activity that causes harm to their body, therefore should have to pay more into the system so that us healthy individuals are not penalized for another persons stupid choice.

I agree. But that needs to be taxed at front end (ie. tax on smoking, tax on drinking, tax on skiing and skydiving, tax on listening to country music, etc.). Any other system of assigning cost is a sad joke.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

steven lloyd wrote:
UnknownResident wrote:If somebody has a higher chance of costing the system more, than they should have to pay more. Legality has nothing to do with it, that person chooses to partake in an activity that causes harm to their body, therefore should have to pay more into the system so that us healthy individuals are not penalized for another persons stupid choice.

I agree. But that needs to be taxed at front end (ie. tax on smoking, tax on drinking, tax on skiing and skydiving, tax on listening to country music, etc.). Any other system of assigning cost is a sad joke.

Of course, any other way would be impossible to implement.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

We are getting a little of topic.

My question is, How can our govt. regulate and tax a product and then even consider charging people to use that product bacause they say it is dangerous ?

When at the same time, they are setting up tax finded venues for people to use illegal products.

Doesn't that seem to be a bit of a contradiction ?

I wonder how much time and taxpayers money has been piddled away while they sit around and debate this type of thing.
Black Dogs Matter
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Not everyone pay tax on smokes

Think about people that buy illegal native cigarettes. They have more chances to have sicknesses than a non smoker, yet it's the whole collectivity that have to pay for the services provided to them.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!

Return to “B.C.”