Portables in Oliver

Libelle
Guru

Portables in Oliver

Post by Libelle »

If anyone has children that attend the high school in Oliver that burned to the ground, I would strongly advise you to see for your self how bad the portables are that your children will be soon enough. The portables are mouse infested and there is mouse poop every where. The only thing that is being done about this is the poop is being cleared away and carpet is being put down on top. No disinfectant nothing. No, new drywall as they have chewed on a good portion of it. But the kicker to this story is that the administration portable is getting gutted. It will have new paint, new dry wall, new floor and will be CLEANED. Guess the students do not need a clean mouse poop free environmnet to study in, but the teachers sure do. I can not speak for the school district,but I am sure they will not be forthcoming with this info, which is why parents have to look into it them selves or call the health units. But if it does not bother anyone that their child will be amoung mouse poop, then so be it.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Portables in Oliver

Post by coffeeFreak »

If this is the case, I'd be contacting Interior Health, and if no response, then the media. Hantavirus should be given serious consideration here.

Hantavirus -- June 2010

What is hantavirus?

Hantaviruses are a group of viruses that are carried by rodents. One of them, Sin Nombre virus, is found in deer mice in North America. Sin Nombre virus is the cause of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) in people.

How are people exposed?

Deer mice excrete the virus in their urine, saliva, and droppings. A person may be exposed to hantavirus by breathing contaminated dust after disturbing or cleaning rodent droppings or nests, or by living or working in rodent-infested settings.

Pets, snakes, and predators don’t become infected and can’t spread hantavirus infection to people or other animals.

In North America, there is no evidence that the disease spreads from one person to another.

What are the symptoms of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome?

Symptoms begin one to six weeks after inhaling the virus and typically start with 3-5 days of "flu-like" illness including fever, sore muscles, headaches, nausea, vomiting, and fatigue. As the disease gets worse, it causes shortness of breath due to fluid filled lungs. Hospital care is usually required. It is serious disease and about one out of three people diagnosed with HPS have died.

Where is hantavirus found and how common is it?

The deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus) is the main carrier of hantavirus in the western United States; however, all wild rodents should be avoided. Deer mice live in all parts of Washington, but mainly in rural areas. Deer mice pass the virus to each other and some of the population is usually infected, but deer mice do not get sick or have any symptoms. In Washington, about 14% of over 1,100 tested deer mice have been infected with Sin Nombre virus.

Since infected deer mice live throughout the state, human cases of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome can occur in any part of Washington. Typically one to five cases are reported each year.

What does the deer mouse look like?

The deer mouse is about six inches long from the nose to the tip of its tail. It is grayish to light brown on top, with large ears, a white belly, and a furry tail that is white on the underside. There are many other types of mice in Washington that don’t have those features.

How long does hantavirus remain infectious in the environment?

The length of time hantaviruses can remain infectious in the environment is variable and depends on environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, whether the virus is indoors or outdoors or exposed to the sun, and even on the mouse’s diet (which would affect the chemistry of its urine). The bottom line is that you can’t tell how old a dropping is, so all rodent droppings should be handled as if they are infectious. Areas with ongoing rodent infestation are particularly risky and the recommendations for prevention should be followed.

How do I prevent Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome?

Keep rodents out of your home and workplace. Always take precautions when cleaning, sealing and trapping rodent-infested areas.

Seal up cracks and gaps in buildings that are larger than 1/4 inch including window and door sills, under sinks around the pipes, in foundations, attics and any rodent entry hole.

Trap indoor rats and mice with snap traps.

Remove rodent food sources. Keep food (including pet food) in rodent proof containers.

Clean up rodent infested areas:

Wear rubber, latex, vinyl or nitrile gloves.

Do not stir up dust by vacuuming, sweeping, or any other means.

Thoroughly wet contaminated areas including trapped mice, droppings, and nests with a 10% hypochlorite (bleach) solution: Mix 1½ cups of household bleach in 1 gallon of water (or 1 part bleach to 9 parts water). Once everything is soaked for 10 minutes, remove all of the nest material, mice or droppings with damp towel and then mop or sponge the area with bleach solution.

Steam clean or shampoo upholstered furniture and carpets with evidence of rodent exposure.

Spray dead rodents with disinfectant and then double-bag along with all cleaning materials. Bury, burn, or throw out rodent in appropriate waste disposal system.

Disinfect gloves with disinfectant or soap and water before taking them off.

After taking off the clean gloves, thoroughly wash hands with soap and water (or use a waterless alcohol-based hand rub when soap is not available).

For more details see the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations at: http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/index.html.

What precautions should I use working, hiking, or camping outdoors?

Avoid coming into contact with rodents and rodent burrows or disturbing dens (such as pack rat nests).
Air out cabins and shelters, then check for signs of rodent infestation. Do not sweep out infested cabins. Instead, use the guidelines above for disinfecting cabins or shelters before sleeping in them.
Do not pitch tents or place sleeping bags near rodent droppings or burrows.
If possible, do not sleep on the bare ground. Use tents with floors or a ground cloth.
Keep food in rodent-proof containers!
Handle trash according to site restrictions and keep it in rodent proof containers until disposed of.
Do not handle or feed wild rodents.
What should I do if I think I have been exposed to mouse droppings?

If you have been exposed to rodents or rodent infested buildings and have symptoms of fever, muscle aches, and severe shortness of breath, see your health care provider immediately. Inform your health care provider of possible rodent exposure so that he/she is alerted to the possibility of rodent-borne diseases, such as hantavirus pulmonary syndrome.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehsphl/factsheet/hanta.htm

Hantavirus – frequently asked questions
CBC News Online | June 21, 2006

Deer mouse, Peromyscus maniculatus, a hantavirus carrier. (courtesy CDC) The death of a 14-year-old boy from Okanagan, B.C., from hantavirus in May 2005 once again raised the profile of this rare but deadly viral disease. Canada’s first human hantavirus case was reported in British Columbia in 1994, but subsequent research suggests that the first case actually took place in Alberta five years earlier.
About 61 cases have been reported in Canada, with at least 20 deaths. Except for a single case in Quebec, all of the cases have occurred in the four western provinces. But infected mice have been found in the Yukon and in every province except Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, suggesting that the potential exists for human hantavirus cases to emerge in other parts of the country.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/health/hantavirus.html
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

Most definitely alert the local health department, and ask for a reply within this week.
If you don't receive a reply, phone them, and stay on the line until you can speak with someone to receive your report. Tell them you will follow up in one week to see what their solution was.

School portables are often mouldy, mildew scented, filthy carpeted, germ infested 'learning' spaces. Even in emergencies where there is no alternative. Parents don't often step inside them, much less examine them for health and safety concerns.
One of our kids was in a portable in 5th grade. The carpet was smeared in dog poo off the soccer field and the then the kids' shoes.
"C'mon and sit down here in a circle on the carpet, kids, rest your hands beside you..."
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

If there's crap on the carpet, the unionized janitors aren't doing their jobs. Put the blame where it belongs.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

:coffeecanuck: Oh RW, have you ever posted without using the word "union"? Sounds like the janitors weren't called in before the carpets were put in...
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

The portables were brought in from else where in BC. As far as I know they were kept in storage where ever that may be. It has nothing to do with the janitors but all do do with money IMO. Nice that the admin gets full renos on their portable, but as for the kids they get poop, literally.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Libelle wrote:The portables were brought in from else where in BC. As far as I know they were kept in storage where ever that may be. It has nothing to do with the janitors but all do do with money IMO. Nice that the admin gets full renos on their portable, but as for the kids they get poop, literally.

Oh, the drama.
Not afraid to say "It".
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

logicalview wrote:
Libelle wrote:The portables were brought in from else where in BC. As far as I know they were kept in storage where ever that may be. It has nothing to do with the janitors but all do do with money IMO. Nice that the admin gets full renos on their portable, but as for the kids they get poop, literally.

Oh, the drama.

Oh the drama? The only drama that is taking place is that the kids are getting the shaft and the possiblity of contacting a disease. If your child went to that school I think that you would re think your last post.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

RichardWede wrote:If there's crap on the carpet, the unionized janitors aren't doing their jobs. Put the blame where it belongs.

Ummm ... not sure how you are equating that thought in your head but the janitorial staff doesn't usually follow the kids inside from the playing fields to mop off the soles of their shoes.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

I washed the poop off the carpets. I was a yard supervisor.
I also gave a bag to the lady who was letting her dog crap on the soccer field.
No, the custodial staff do not check the portables for ground in dog poo, they do a quick vacuum, and I'm not sure how often.

I would physically check the portables, especially around the windows, the carpets, the stairs and the structure itself from underneath.
The lighting is also not ideal.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

grammafreddy wrote:
RichardWede wrote:If there's crap on the carpet, the unionized janitors aren't doing their jobs. Put the blame where it belongs.

Ummm ... not sure how you are equating that thought in your head but the janitorial staff doesn't usually follow the kids inside from the playing fields to mop off the soles of their shoes.

Richard is just being a dickie. Libelle is concerned about mice infesting the portables and if you read up on hantavirus, I would agree with her that it is A VERY VALID concern. Interior Health SHOULD be contacted and evaluate the situation. Give them a call and demand an inspection of these portables Libelle.
Chill
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Advocate wrote:I washed the poop off the carpets. I was a yard supervisor.
I also gave a bag to the lady who was letting her dog crap on the soccer field.
No, the custodial staff do not check the portables for ground in dog poo, they do a quick vacuum, and I'm not sure how often.

I would physically check the portables, especially around the windows, the carpets, the stairs and the structure itself from underneath.
The lighting is also not ideal.

Shoulda made it a plastic bag and put it over the lady's (questionable) head.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

'twas a plastic one. She thought it would decompose.,..I told her where it ended up.

Return to “B.C.”