BC Teacher's plea for help

Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

BC Teacher's plea for help

Post by Amarow121 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/10/17/bc-teacherspeaks.html

A Grade 6 teacher on Vancouver Island says the students in her class can't learn because they don't get enough help.

"I have very emotionally damaged children in my class … and I can't spread myself thin enough," said Naomi Nilsson, who has been teaching since 2006.
Nilsson has 27 students in her class at Khowhemun Elementary in Duncan, B.C. Eight of them are designated as having special needs.
"I know that they are not going to get the education that they deserve — and I know that society is going to be damaged because of that."
The Cowichan Valley School District confirmed two of Nilsson's students have severe behaviour problems, and six others have learning disabilities. She said several more need extra help but have not been formally assessed, so they haven't been designated for assistance.
"I would love it if I could split myself up into 27 little pieces and sit next to each one of them and help them do their math," Nilsson said.
Teacher Naomi Nilsson tells reporter Kathy Tomlinson her Grade 6 students are not learning because they don't get enough help. Her class has one part-time teacher's aide, who is in the classroom one morning and one afternoon per week.
"It's infuriating, because there just isn't enough money to give these kids enough support," she said.
Nilsson said many of her students come from stressed families, where both parents work several low-paying jobs and are often away from home.

Children hungry, tired

"My students come to school hungry ... without lunches and without snacks. Some of them don't have winter coats," Nilsson said while holding back tears.
"They can't just sit. Some of them it's almost like they have little electrodes attached to their bodies and they wiggle and they vibrate."
Nilsson described one heartbreaking situation when one of her students came to school distraught, because his mother tried to commit suicide the night before.
"[Another] student comes to school just to sleep, because his home is not safe for him to sleep in," she said.
B.C. teachers have filed 17,600 grievances in the last five years, to protest the number of students in their classes, along with the number who have special needs. According to the B.C. Teachers' Federation (BCTF), there are 12,240 classes in B.C. that have three or more students designated with special needs.
Nilsson teaches 27 students at Khowhemun Elementary School in Duncan, B.C. CBC Government figures show, on average, about 10 per cent of all students are in that category — reaching a high of 19 per cent in one district. The union said several more students are on waiting lists to be assessed. Education Minister George Abbott acknowledged there is a problem. "Certainly this is one of the challenges that the school system tries to deal with," said Abbott, who recently promised an additional $165 million over three years to provide assistance for special needs students.

Minister suggests improvements

"We want to sit down with the teachers' federation and work through what I hope would be an improved model in respect of the funding for special needs." B.C. teachers and the government are at an impasse in contract negotiations, mostly due to class composition.

Although she is a member of the teachers' federation and on the local union executive, Nilsson said she does not work for the provincial union, and is speaking out after encouragement from other teachers.

"I need to speak out because enough is enough," said Nilsson. "I am stretched thin. My school is stretched thin. The B.C. education system is stretched thin. Somebody needs to do something. There needs to be a change made for the kids.

"Someone's got to speak up for them," she said, through tears. "Because they can't themselves."

The district superintendent for the Cowichan Valley School District, which oversees Nilsson's school, said there are several programs and people dedicated to helping special needs children. Joe Rhodes said 300 special needs children get public money for assistance, while another 455 who also need extra help get no extra money.
Nilsson says many of her students come to school hungry, tired and too stressed to learn. "As a district, we have to take from core money to supplement special needs kids," said Rhodes, adding the district gets $5 million per year from the province for special programs, but spends $9 million.

Rhodes said that's partly because needy students don't get extra funding until they have been assessed by an outside agency. He would like the government to rework the way money is allocated, because schools have changed significantly in recent years.
"The classroom of today needs to be redesigned," said Rhodes.

Grievances costing taxpayers

The teachers' contract specifies if any class has more than three children with special needs, the teacher must be consulted. Nilsson said when she objected she was told she would have to accept the situation, so she filed a grievance.
"[Grievances] are the only way we can speak out and hopefully help our children, but unfortunately the process is taking years in court and that doesn't help the kids," she said.
The teachers' federation said it has spent a million dollars on those grievances, while the government has spent much more.
"That money should already be in the classes," said Nilsson. "We should stop arguing about this, for goodness sake, and just help the kids. Why can't we just understand that we need to do the best for our future generation instead of wasting all of this money?"

Abbott said he would like to change that.
"The present model doesn't always, I think, make the best use of resources," he said.
B.C. Education Minister George Abbott wants to improve the way money for special needs assistance is allocated. "I actually think there are ways that we can improve … to a system … where the principals and teachers worked together to try to sort out how to manage special needs resources rather than doing it on a kind of formula basis."

Nilsson said the system needs to catch up to the reality of how society, the economy, and school has changed.
"Public education has become a daycare," said Nilsson. "I honestly believe everyone is doing the best that they can. A lot of people just keep trying to compensate and compensate and compensate, before they realize that the system might be a little bit broken."

I'd be interested to hear castanet-ers responses to this teachers concerns.

Seems like she makes some valid points regarding her inability to effectively teach 27 children when several require quite a lot of attention.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC Teacher's plea for help

Post by NAB »

I don't think proposing smaller class sizes and/or more classroom assistance even addresses the real problem, let alone have the potential to provide a solution. Perhaps it's not even something that can be (or even should be) under the purvey of the public school system. IMO it's not even a "general" problem BC wide but rather exists in "hot spots", ...so painting it with a broad brush as though it applies everywhere is simply not right IMO. Specific localized problems require specific localized solutions, not a one size fits all approach as is so often the proposal of both the government/school boards and the BCTF. This situation definitely highlights that reality.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Although she is a member of the teachers' federation and on the local union executive, Nilsson said she does not work for the provincial union, and is speaking out after encouragement from other teachers.

Typical grandstanding by a union flunky.

Waaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I don't wanna work!

Tough beans lady, go get another job and quit using students to push your ridiculous contract demands on the taxpayers of BC.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

as per usual, dickie uses a simplistic ad hominem attack and generality to a complex issue....
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Perhaps the controversy surrounding Community Living BC is a big part of the problem, and could be part of the solution if it can be fixed (not suggesting it can of course).

Liberal backbencher slaps own government, asks for review of Community Living B.C.
http://www.timescolonist.com/health/Lib ... story.html

http://www.communitylivingbc.ca/

and

The B.C. government, which is under fire for its treatment of adults with developmental disabilities, will spend an extra $6 million to meet "urgent heath and safety needs" in the sector this year.

....CLBC officials explained that they intend to spread the money thinly in order to meet the urgent needs of more people. In the case of special needs children who are about to turn 19 and move into the adult system, they may only require employment or a day program, said vice-president Doug Woollard.

http://www.timescolonist.com/health/Com ... story.html

Perhaps we need to identify and provide specialized help to these special needs children much earlier, rather than just dumping them into the classroom to sink or swim based on their parent( s) lack of capability or willingness to provide for them adequately? Teachers and classroom aides are not superhuman, nor are they qualified or equipped to assess and respond properly to the individual needs of the wide variety of special needs children being thrust into their classrooms. IMO it is also not fair to the majority of students who do not have special needs and can suffer as a result of this policy.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Here's an idea. Why not have all teachers take a 10% wage cut? Just think about how much money school districts would have.
Those funds could be put into all the things the teachers are always complaining about. They are always saying that strikes are about the kids. Ok, time to put up or shut up.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

There are a few aspects to this particular story. First of all, where there is a problem, e.g. not enough support in terms of CEA(s),, then adjustments need to be made.

Secondly, just because adjustments are needed here and there doesn't mean that more money needs to be put into the system in general. We hear about classes with 33 with several special needs students but how about the classes with 17 and no special needs students? Money can be moved around rather than added. Too often we just look to spend more.

Thirdly, the problem with distorting facts, as the BCTF does, is that if you really do have a legitimate complaint you may not be taken seriously. Every single time contracts come up for renewal the BCTF puts "special needs students" front and centre and they ignore the progress that's been made in dealing with special needs students. Just like they talk about all the schools that have been closed while ignoring the schools that have been built, the schools that have had additions, and most important they ignore declining enrollment.

Finally, the teacher mentions students coming to school hungry but unless the government hires people to go around and feed these hungry children it may always be the way it is. It's sad but true that some parents don't take care of their kids very well. Social assistance money doesn't always get spent very wisely for example. That may not be politically correct to suggest such a thing but we all know that it's true. More money, more money, more money is all we hear from those on the far left. Not that WE are going to pay for any of this. The corporations will cover the entire cost, there will be no repercussions, and we will all live happily ever after. The end.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

RichardWede wrote:

Typical grandstanding by a union flunky.

Waaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I don't wanna work!

Tough beans lady, go get another job and quit using students to push your ridiculous contract demands on the taxpayers of BC.

I'm disappointed Richard.
You've had useful insights in past debates, but recently the extent of your postings have been obnoxious right-wing drivel.
I hope you're able to to get over this phase and return to more useful commentary in future.

Best of luck.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Teachers and classroom aides are not superhuman, nor are they qualified or equipped to assess and respond properly to the individual needs of the wide variety of special needs children being thrust into their classrooms. IMO it is also not fair to the majority of students who do not have special needs and can suffer as a result of this policy.

NAB I think you've nailed it on the head. Is there any real way a teacher can get help if he or she is assigned a classroom composition that is not possible for he(r) to teach? It sounds like grievances do nothing (which doesn't surprise me, I've yet to encounter a union where grievances do accomplish anything) but waste time and money.

What can parents do if their children are in classrooms where learning is secondary to managing the children?
Has anyone encountered this problem with their own children?

I am glad that this teacher is speaking out. Obviously she doesn't view her job to be solely "babysitter", and is concerned that her students aren't going to receive proper education.
Her complaints (classroom composition) is directly related to the contract that the Government broke, does that not concern people?
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Urbane wrote:There are a few aspects to this particular story. First of all, where there is a problem, e.g. not enough support in terms of CEA(s),, then adjustments need to be made.

Secondly, just because adjustments are needed here and there doesn't mean that more money needs to be put into the system in general. We hear about classes with 33 with several special needs students but how about the classes with 17 and no special needs students? Money can be moved around rather than added. Too often we just look to spend more.

Thirdly, the problem with distorting facts, as the BCTF does, is that if you really do have a legitimate complaint you may not be taken seriously. Every single time contracts come up for renewal the BCTF puts "special needs students" front and centre and they ignore the progress that's been made in dealing with special needs students. Just like they talk about all the schools that have been closed while ignoring the schools that have been built, the schools that have had additions, and most important they ignore declining enrollment.

Good point. I think you could make a valid argument that there is enough money in our education system but that it is mismanaged, much in the same way that health care dollars are sufficient but are in the wrong places. (I've heard the health care argument several times before and think there is a great deal of truth in it) There are a lot of supervisors and managers that are redundant I think....

BCTF... yes, I'd be hard pressed to argue with the BCTF being a drama queen. Even the teachers I know seem to feel similarly. I'm not sure I agree that teachers are amiss in pointing out school closures, additions, construction. Several years ago Bellevue Elementary was closed due to declining enrollment. When it closed the remaining students were sent to Anne McClymont Elementary, about 1 km away. Because Anne McClymont now had all of its students and the students from Bellevue, they had to bring in many many portables.
I've never been able to understand why cramming children into portables was better than keeping them at Bellevue creek and diverting some of the Anne McClymont kids to fill it up.
(perhaps it was solely to eliminate the administrative positions needed to run another school?)
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

I want to clarify a few things. When teachers talk about class size and composition, they are not asking for money to be directed to themselves. It is not a wage issue. They are asking for more support staff (CEA's, counsellors, learning assistance teachers, psychologists etc) to be hired to support the students. They are asking for a smaller class size when there are more than 3 special needs students in one class so that the teacher has time to meet each student's needs. That means time for planning special programs, meeting with parents and support staff, and most importantly, time to help that individual student. Even if you don't have a special needs child yourself, you can appreciate that if your child's teacher spends all their time helping 3-4 children with severe behaviour disorders, autism, or severe learning disabilities, your own child will not be getting the time they deserve either.

Urbane wrote:There are a few aspects to this particular story. First of all, where there is a problem, e.g. not enough support in terms of CEA(s),, then adjustments need to be made.

School Districts have cut money just about every possible place they can cut. They have closed smaller schools that are more expensive to maintain, they have cut back on operating funds, support staff, custodial staff, and teachers. They now fill just about every single class to the maximum in September so that there are no longer any classes with only 17 kids in them. The only classes that have fewer than 28-30 students are a few specialty classes in high school - nothing that is significant. Our last contract specified a maximum number of children in each class, as well as a maximum student/teacher ratio for the entire district. I'm guessing most schools in Kelowna have at least one class that has more than the supposed maximum of 3 special needs children in the school. My school has two such classes and it is not a needy school in general.

The govt is refusing to include class size and composition language in the next contract so there will be no guarantees of firm numbers next year. When a school district has a tight budget, you can bet they are going to fill those classes as full as they can, even if they don't want to.

Urbane wrote:Thirdly, the problem with distorting facts, as the BCTF does, is that if you really do have a legitimate complaint you may not be taken seriously. Every single time contracts come up for renewal the BCTF puts "special needs students" front and centre and they ignore the progress that's been made in dealing with special needs students. Just like they talk about all the schools that have been closed while ignoring the schools that have been built, the schools that have had additions, and most important they ignore declining enrollment.

We talk about the schools that have closed because the govt closes schools to save money. While many might say that is a good thing, it also means your children may not be able to attend a school in their own neighbourhood. Education decisions shouldn't ALWAYS be made based on finances. And although enrollment is (was?) declining, the costs associated with maintaining schools were increasing faster than the funding. Declining enrollment can't be blamed for the lack of funding.

Urbane wrote:Finally, the teacher mentions students coming to school hungry but unless the government hires people to go around and feed these hungry children it may always be the way it is. It's sad but true that some parents don't take care of their kids very well. Social assistance money doesn't always get spent very wisely for example. That may not be politically correct to suggest such a thing but we all know that it's true. More money, more money, more money is all we hear from those on the far left. Not that WE are going to pay for any of this. The corporations will cover the entire cost, there will be no repercussions, and we will all live happily ever after. The end.

Most teachers have given their lunch to a student at some point in their career. Many teachers bring food to school on a daily basis to feed hungry children. We used to have free hot lunch and even breakfast programs in our schools, but some of those have been cut back as well. If a child is hungry, it is difficult for them to focus on learning. School isn't all that important if you haven't eaten.

If these kids aren't fed and educated, they will become a further drain on society when they grow up.

Anyway, I applaud the young woman who was willing to be interviewed about her situation. Her class is an example of everything that is wrong with our education system today. And don't think she is a rare case - there are PLENTY of teachers in Kelowna faced with the same situation.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

removed - Jennylives
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

While it may not be PC to ask this, are there situations where a special needs child should NOT be in a regular public school classroom at all? What is the advantage (and to whom) for putting such cases there, and keeping them there, in the first place when you know beyond the shadow of a doubt that they will not emerge with anything close to a normal education and ability to function normally in society?

Edit to add: We seem to have been going 'round and 'round for decades arguing as to how to fund and deal with them once they get in the PS system, and pay so little attention to alternatives to the ongoing total failure associated with putting them there (and keeping them there) in the first place, and sometimes (often?) even medicating them to dull them down even further.

Nab
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

With each special needs child a school gets they receive $X.xx in funding correct?

Is this funding used specifically for that child or do schools use it as general revenue and short the people it was actually intended for? (I assume it's used as general revenue)

The original story has the teacher talking about kids not having snacks and lunches....this is a true issue, but has nothing to do with teachers contracts and is just a heartstring tug at the general population to get support for teachers....a sick tactic and despicable in my mind, the fact this teacher is fine "using" poor children situations to her and her unions desires, is disheartening. (the story held fine without that mentioned, and considering the timing this article is definate for negotiation purposes)

As well children are not taken care of by the CLBC the last time I checked but the ministry of children and families. (if that’s not the case feel free to correct me.) So anything to do with CLBC in reference to this is not correct. CLBC deals with adults over 18 I believe.

There are definately issues in our education system that need work, and class size and composition would be great to make smaller, but when you have only so much money how do you make that work? As union members why do you allow your representatives to ask for things like the over the top bereavement leave that cost a bunch of public support for you without tearing the BCTF a new one? Your union making you look bad and teachers allow it due to some distorted sence of entitlement? Out of all the talks, thats what always seems to come up.....not class size....so you can see how people outside of the schools see teachers when all this happens?

Do any of you review the financial statements of your union to see where the money goes? IF not why not? IF out of the 41,000 members you each let the government keep(in the school system) the $1,000.00 in union dues you pay, that would be 41 MILLION dollars extra for school funding each year.

Changes would be great but change would have to happen at all levels from the government (employer) to the teachers (employee) to the union (employees friend who gets too large an opinion often causing more problems than solving), and parents (client) helping their own children at home. Teachers need to ask the government for changes, but they need to require it of the attitude of their representatives as well. (Parents need to get off their *bleep* as well but thats anouther issue)
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

NAB wrote:While it may not be PC to ask this, are there situations where a special needs child should NOT be in a regular public school classroom at all? What is the advantage (and to whom) for putting such cases there, and keeping them there, in the first place when you know beyond the shadow of a doubt that they will not emerge with anything close to a normal education and ability to function normally in society?

Edit to add: We seem to have been going 'round and 'round for decades arguing as to how to fund and deal with them once they get in the PS system, and pay so little attention to alternatives to the ongoing total failure associated with putting them there (and keeping them there) in the first place, and sometimes (often?) even medicating them to dull them down even further.

Nab

There certainly is a small percentage of students about whom your question is worth asking. In general, though, integrating special needs students into mainstream classes has been a great success, not a failure. No matter how much money is put into the system the BCTF will always say it's not enough, and that the system for special needs students is in dire straits. People shouldn't fall for it though because it isn't true. I had dozens of special needs students in my classes over the years and they were a lot better off integrated than they were in the bad old days of segregation. Isolating them in special schools was not the way to go and our more enlightened approach has proven to be successful. But yes, we do need to look at the small percentage of students who don't appear to be benefitting from integration to see if there is a better program for them.

Return to “B.C.”