B.C. introduces teacher discipline law

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

by The Canadian Press - Story: 66551
Oct 26, 2011 / 2:22 pm

The B.C. government is getting tougher with bad teachers.

Education Minister George Abbott has introduced legislation that reduces the power of the B.C. Teachers' Federation to control the teacher disciplinary process.

The legislation calls for a sharing of disciplinary and regulatory responsibilities through a series of appointed boards, including a B.C. Teachers Council, a Disciplinary and Professional Conduct Board, an investigation commissioner and the Education Ministry.

Abbott says he doesn't expect the new law to be greeted with a bouquet of roses by the teachers' union, but he believes it protects students and will promote growth in a mature and respectful relationship between education partners in B.C.

A report last year said the teachers' union had too much control over teacher discipline, to the point that not a single teacher included in 270 complaints since 2003 received discipline.

Three teachers had their teaching credentials restored even though one was convicted of sexually abusing students, another dealt drugs and the third was found guilty of forging court documents.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: B.C. introduces teacher discipline law

Post by Captain Awesome »

RichardWede wrote:Three teachers had their teaching credentials restored even though one was convicted of sexually abusing students, another dealt drugs and the third was found guilty of forging court documents.

Outstanding work.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

An 'A' for effort........an 'F' for the answer.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

BACKGROUNDER

For Immediate Release
2011EDUC0088-001360

Oct. 26, 2011
Ministry of Education

Teachers Act

Structure of new regulatory system

The new British Columbia Teachers’ Council will have 15 voting members, including:

· Three teachers from the BCTF.

· Five teachers elected by teachers on a regional basis.

· Seven members based on nominations from the following partner groups:

o BC School Trustees Association

o BC School Superintendents’ Association

o BC Principals’ and Vice-principals Association

o BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils

o First Nations Education Steering Committee

o Federation of Independent School Associations

o Association of BC Deans of Education.

The Teachers’ Council will also include one non-voting government representative appointed by the minister. The role of the council will be to set standards for teachers in areas such as certification, conduct and competence. It will also have the authority to approve teacher education programs for certification purposes.

The nine-member Disciplinary and Professional Conduct Board will consist of members drawn from the Teachers’ Council, and include four members of the BCTF. The government will appoint a commissioner to receive complaints and reports about alleged teacher misconduct, conduct preliminary investigations and – where appropriate – assign members of the board to hold disciplinary hearings in three-member panels. These panels will not include more than one BCTF member.

The panels will have jurisdiction over fitness, conduct and competence and will have the power to revoke, suspend, grant or impose conditions on teaching certificates.

The minister will be responsible for all appointments to the new structure, other than the selection of elected members. The Ministry of Education will take on the administrative functions of the former college, including issuing teaching certificates, maintaining employer and discipline registries and providing administrative support to the council and board.

Independent school teacher certification, discipline and registries, currently under the authority of the Inspector of Independent Schools, will be amalgamated to create a single administrative structure for all B.C. teachers.

The new teacher regulation regime will be operated mostly on a cost recovery basis, with teachers paying fees of $80 per year compared to the current $120 charged by the college.

It is anticipated that the new regulatory system will be up and running early in the new year.

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Now all we need is a BC politician discipline law.

I really don't think this will be resisted that much by the BCTF, but then again I am not a teacher nor do I belong to a union.
Chill
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

flamingfingers wrote:Now all we need is a BC politician discipline law.

I really don't think this will be resisted that much by the BCTF, but then again I am not a teacher nor do I belong to a union.

I'm sure there are many teachers quietly cheering.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Regulated by a Board made up of Teachers! :dyinglaughing:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

coffeeFreak wrote:

I'm sure there are many teachers quietly cheering.
Most definitely. This new disciplinary process will be more transparent and will not be controlled by the teachers. While the BCTF does not agree with the transparency, in particular the move toward public disciplinary hearings, the NDP education critic disagrees:

Education critic Robin Austin said the legislation rightly puts student safety ahead of the interests of teachers or any other group, while improving transparency.

"Overall, I think the public is best served when some of these matters are aired in a matter like in an open court," he said.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Teachers+d ... z1bwojlF5d

Return to “B.C.”