Kash Heed - Continued Accusations of Wrongdoing

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Kash Heed - Continued Accusations of Wrongdoing

Post by Treblehook »

I guess the absence of any posts relating to the conduct of Kash Heed and the allegations of his election related breaches is a good indicator of the apathy of BC citizens when it comes to provincial politics/politicians. Has there been so much shady conduct by our BC politicians that the electorate is desensitized to the whole thing? This man got an $11,000.00 fine and two of his campaign workers have also recently been convicted of breaches. It seems if these transgressions involve politicians, it is "business as usual" which is not a very good thing for our democracy.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kash Heed - Continued Accusations of Wrongdoing

Post by flamingfingers »

Treblehook wrote:I guess the absence of any posts relating to the conduct of Kash Heed and the allegations of his election related breaches is a good indicator of the apathy of BC citizens when it comes to provincial politics/politicians. Has there been so much shady conduct by our BC politicians that the electorate is desensitized to the whole thing? This man got an $11,000.00 fine and two of his campaign workers have also recently been convicted of breaches. It seems if these transgressions involve politicians, it is "business as usual" which is not a very good thing for our democracy.

Read it all here:
http://alexgtsakumis.com/2011/10/31/kas ... ng-review/

and follow the link to Ian Milgrew's interview with Barinder Sall.

Heed is just another typical Liberal sleaze-bag.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I'll wait until all the evidence is in and then decide if there was wrongdoing or not.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Give yourself a treat Urb and read a bit:

New Heed overspending allegations under review
Former manager also releases alleged Heed emails dissing cabinet members
CBC News
Posted: Oct 31, 2011 6:03 PM PT
Last Updated: Oct 31, 2011 7:02 PM PT

Elections BC has been asked to reopen its probe into Election Act violations by former B.C. solicitor general Kash Heed just days after one of his former aides pleaded guilty to breaking election rules and told CBC News of even more alleged overspending during the 2009 campaign.
Elections BC says chief electoral officer Keith Archer has received two requests to look deeper into allegations by former Heed campaign manager Barinder Sall of further Election Act violations in Heed’s successful bid for election.

read the rest:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -sall.html
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I enjoyed this part of the article:

The requests were made by NDP Opposition critic Leonard Krog and Gabriel Yiu, the former New Democrat candidate who lost to Heed.

LOL! He must be guilty for sure for those two to be pointing fingers!
:dyinglaughing:
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I guess the obvious is lost on you: Like would it be the LIBERALS who wanted this investigated? NFL!

Edited to add: Did you read Milgrew's interview? Nah, didn't think so....
Chill
toughnut
Board Meister

Post by toughnut »

*removed, as you will be too, if you continue with the racist remarks/Jo*
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Urbane wrote:I'll wait until all the evidence is in and then decide if there was wrongdoing or not.

I guess if he paid a fine of $11,000.00, somebody thought he had violated the rules didn't they and he must have agreed or contested the allegation and lost.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

If anyone thinks there isn't a grudge being aired in public by Barinder Sall, then one has to come up with a better reason why he's releasing confidential emails to the press that are completely unrelated to the election spending issue. Sall's probably on an NDP payoff to discredit Heed. Watch for his move to the left - mark my words.

Never had any use for Heed, never will. The guy oozes grease, IMO.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Treblehook wrote:
    Urbane wrote:I'll wait until all the evidence is in and then decide if there was wrongdoing or not.

I guess if he paid a fine of $11,000.00, somebody thought he had violated the rules didn't they and he must have agreed or contested the allegation and lost.

Here's what the judge actually said:

B.C. Supreme Court Chief Justice Robert Bauman ruled that Heed acted in good faith during the 2009 election campaign.

But he didn’t excuse the Liberal MLA from the prescribed fine, because that “would run counter to the need to impose some responsibility on the candidate for the conduct of his campaign and the actions of those whom he chose to run it.”

http://www.timescolonist.com/Former+sol ... z1cT9Pimbz
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

My initial post on this thread was not aimed at trashing Heed - I really don't know much about the man beyond that which has been written by the media. The point of my opening comment was that it appears that wrongdoing or alleged wrongdoing by politicians scarcely gets the attention of British Columbians anymore and that suggests acceptance by the masses that this is the way things are.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Treblehook wrote:I guess the absence of any posts relating to the conduct of Kash Heed and the allegations of his election related breaches is a good indicator of the apathy of BC citizens when it comes to provincial politics/politicians. Has there been so much shady conduct by our BC politicians that the electorate is desensitized to the whole thing? This man got an $11,000.00 fine and two of his campaign workers have also recently been convicted of breaches. It seems if these transgressions involve politicians, it is "business as usual" which is not a very good thing for our democracy.

Now, is it public apathy or media apathy (or something else ??) that is responsible for the lack on concern/discussion of these "breaches"

I wonder how many reading this post know what the "breach" (which sounds like such a innocent technical error vs a "wrong doing") was all about.

I noted with interest that it was reported on Saturday October 29th in the Penticton Herald that "two men, have been fined for breaching election laws in the campaign of Kash Heed, the former BC Solicitor General. One man was Heed's campaign manager, the other a printer".

Supporting my position that the news media is either apathetic, stupid, inept, or in bed with the Liberals is the fact that the article was buried in the "Canada in Brief" section on page A9,,, the front page and inside front page of Saturday's paper reserved for much more "pressing news", such as, a group is leasing 2 dressing rooms and an office in the Rutland arena, a crime report will be presented in two days by the RCMP and the Ogopogo float won some awards.

The details of the "breaching of election laws" was not provided in the page A9 article except to say "They were charged after anonymous pamphlets were distributed in the Vancouver -Fraserview riding attacking Heed's NDP opponent".

So what did they do, publish and distribute pamphlets that were an unauthorized size, ? wrong color, distributed too close to election date ?? Must have been some technicality,,,, an oversight of some sort.

For those who have forgotten, the opponent, NDP candidate, Gabriel Yiu, lost the election by 748 votes after garish leaflets, in Chinese and English, were mailed to homes of Chinese Canadians already identified as pro-NDP or undecided voters in the riding. Other residences of strong supporters of Heed and the Liberal party did not receive the pamphlets.

The pamphlets were complete with pictures of syringes, coffins, and known criminals. They accused the NDP of wanting to legalize heroin and prostitution and bring in hefty inheritance taxes if elected.

Urbane wrote:I enjoyed this part of the article:

The requests were made by NDP Opposition critic Leonard Krog and Gabriel Yiu, the former New Democrat candidate who lost to Heed.

LOL! He must be guilty for sure for those two to be pointing fingers!

Kudos to you, Urbane, for you well thought out and researched comments. Who do you think should have complained about such action by the Heed campaign ? I'm sure if you running for office and your opponents campaign sent out pamphlets containing lies about your platform and stance on issues you wouldn't complain ???
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

my5cents wrote:Kudos to you, Urbane, for you well thought out and researched comments. Who do you think should have complained about such action by the Heed campaign ? I'm sure if you running for office and your opponents campaign sent out pamphlets containing lies about your platform and stance on issues you wouldn't complain ???
I wouldn't rush to judgment particularly since the judge has already said that Heed himself had acted in good faith. And if an opponent lied about my platform I'd deal with it during my campaign. That seems to be more the nature of politics than it is a criminal matter though. Spinning things, deliberately misrepresenting your opponent's position etc. . . . these things are done by all the parties. Or is it just the Liberals who do such things?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Urbane wrote:
    my5cents wrote:Kudos to you, Urbane, for you well thought out and researched comments. Who do you think should have complained about such action by the Heed campaign ? I'm sure if you running for office and your opponents campaign sent out pamphlets containing lies about your platform and stance on issues you wouldn't complain ???
I wouldn't rush to judgment particularly since the judge has already said that Heed himself had acted in good faith. And if an opponent lied about my platform I'd deal with it during my campaign. That seems to be more the nature of politics than it is a criminal matter though. Spinning things, deliberately misrepresenting your opponent's position etc. . . . these things are done by all the parties. Or is it just the Liberals who do such things?

You don't seem to understand that there is a line. It was crossed. I don't care which party was involved.

The pamphlets didn't come to light until after the vote, as I understand it.

I don't think for a second that Heed didn't know what was going on, I concede that that hasn't been proven. I do think that in the community that the pamphlets were distributed in it likely made a big difference in the vote. Only select people received the pamphlets. I think if the same type of pamphlet was distributed in entire riding, the contents of the pamphlet would have been brought to authorities, no matter what party was involved.

The point being made in this forum was that the media and thus the public have not taken notice of the incident.

The press when updating other news items seem to repeat the sordid details, ad nauseam, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

How many times have we seen "Former cop charged with XXXXX" We later learn the person charged was hired as a cop 20 years previous and was fired two weeks into the training academy.

Also we see the media bring up the history of a subject,, “Mr Brown, who was the person charged with XXXX in 2005, when he XXXXXX was arrested last night……”

In this case this unacceptable act is capsulated into an “election act breach” no details. To the casual reader it appears to be a none event, especially when reported on page A9.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

my5 - if you have not read, or been directed to Ian Milgrew's interview with Sall, here is a link that you may be interested in that also links to Mr. Milgrew's interview with Barinder Sall. I agree with you that there is absolutely no way that Kash Heed 'did not know' what was going on.

http://alexgtsakumis.com/2011/10/31/kas ... ng-review/
Chill

Return to “B.C.”