Alex Tsakumis Blog

my5cents
Guru

Re: Alex Tsakumis Blog

Post by my5cents »

VicGeek wrote:.....and if anyone cares.....site is gone (again) as of sometime in Feb. Did he keep going that long? or disappear again shortly after his re-appearance late last year?

He disappeared shortly after he reappeared.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
VicGeek

Post by VicGeek »

my5cents wrote:He disappeared shortly after he reappeared.

Thanks 5 - I figured as much
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

I guess this is flogging a dead horse, but just came across something that pertains to this old thread. It was in a Reddit subgroup about Vancouver (https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comm ... _happened/) and someone sufficiently annoyed Tsakumis that he responded with an explanation for closing his blog.

AGTsakumis
Hello: I have refrained from providing comment about why I left as I did, but many of the posters here, in typical cowardly fashion, have made statements from behind the warm blanket of anonymity that are erroneous. I left the blogosphere for the personal health reasons of three people very close to me. Two have recovered. As well, I had a yearning to return to business, which is where I came from. Despite rumours to the contrary, I am of very good health, thank God, and am doing very well in my old career. No one, least of all my father, made me leave Facebook. I found it trying over time and eventually, it lost its lustre. I am always amazed by the incredible unkindness of complete cowards who hide behind contrived names. I guess it's easier to lie about someone that way. I wouldn't know, as I always put my name to anything I wrote--perhaps because I could always back it up. I do miss the cut and thrust of the media and am saddened by the lack of clarity and transparency in that same business. Thanks for caring and I wish you and yours all the best. Be well, AGT
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

He makes a legitiate point in that far too may people use the lack of accountability in anonymous posting as a licence for deplorable behavior.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

fluffy wrote:He makes a legitiate point in that far too may people use the lack of accountability in anonymous posting as a licence for deplorable behavior.

True, that. I'm as guilty as any, of expressing many long-winded, intellectually challenged opinions, under an anonymous avatar.

But in Tsakumis' specific case, he built up a loyal following of many thousands of readers, BS'd them about many things, including upcoming articles, a new site, etc, made many accusations of criminal activities among our political leaders, and then just disappeared like smoke. Any normal person, wanting to make a break of it would have written one last paragraph, thanking folks for following his blog, explaining that he was shutting it down, and saying so long. Simply disappearing with no explanation, is going to cause folks to wonder what happened to him, and for conspiracy theories to blossom like sunflowers on an Okanagan hillside. He is the author of his own misfortune.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
VicGeek

Post by VicGeek »

OldIslander wrote:
But in Tsakumis' specific case, he built up a loyal following of many thousands of readers, BS'd them about many things, including upcoming articles, a new site, etc, made many accusations of criminal activities among our political leaders, and then just disappeared like smoke. Any normal person, wanting to make a break of it would have written one last paragraph, thanking folks for following his blog, explaining that he was shutting it down, and saying so long. Simply disappearing with no explanation, is going to cause folks to wonder what happened to him, and for conspiracy theories to blossom like sunflowers on an Okanagan hillside. He is the author of his own misfortune.

Exactly - when there is so much hype and then nada - not difficult to think that the hype was complete and utter BS - spoke so many times of proof of criminal activity by BC politicians and would soon blow it wide open - then nothing. Not that I don't think there isn't massive corruption in BC, but I sure felt taken for a ride by someone that may have thought it would be fun to be popular online and used the dangling carrot to get it ;-)
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

He just popped up again. Apparently he's part of a group looking to buy the BC Lions.

http://thebreaker.news/news/six-suitors ... up-champs/

If you do a google search for the company he represents -- Trigate Properties Group -- you get one hit. The story above. So this company appears to have just been invented for this story. He was Global TV last night (Vancouver) talking about it.

Return to “B.C.”