Kelowna to Kamloops

coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Kelowna to Kamloops

Post by coffeeFreak »

gardengirl wrote:Once you get to Vernon, you have the choice of staying on Hwy 97 to Salmon Arm, or going through Falkland.
It is a tossup depending on road conditions and traffic, which is faster.

The route through Falkland is the shortest 119km vs 175km via Salmon Arm (and is a lousy drive IMO).
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

gardengirl wrote:Once you get to Vernon, you have the choice of staying on Hwy 97 to Salmon Arm, or going through Falkland.

Your joking right?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I love the drive to Kamloops but travel via backroads in the Summer. Westside Rd to the turn off, left to Monte Lake, Barthartvale Rd to Kamloops if one has to avoid the hwy due to traffic accidents clogging up the hwy.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Gixxer wrote:5A is horrible anytime of the year.

Glacier wrote:Why do you say that? That road has little traffic, good pavement, and most importantly no traffic lights.

I enjoy driving 5A in the summer if I'm just going for a drive, but the stretch between Nicola and Quilchena is (was) quite bumpy which is very noticeable in a car with a sport suspesion. I haven't driven that way since 2010 so I'm not sure if that stretch has been fixed or not.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Gixxer wrote:

Your joking right?

I have done the drive both ways many many times, daytime, night time, summer or winter.
Again, it depends on the road conditions and traffic. The road through Falkland can be a nightmare if you hit a snowstorm.
On either road you can get stuck behind slow moving vehicles whether it is tourists or farm machinery.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

gardengirl wrote:
Gixxer wrote:

Your joking right?

I have done the drive both ways many many times, daytime, night time, summer or winter.
Again, it depends on the road conditions and traffic. The road through Falkland can be a nightmare if you hit a snowstorm.
On either road you can get stuck behind slow moving vehicles whether it is tourists or farm machinery.

Going the Salmon Arm way would make. The trip at least an 1-1.5 hours longer
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Gixxer wrote:
    gardengirl wrote:
    Gixxer wrote:

Your joking right?

Using the driving times provided by the BC government it takes just under two hours (1:56) to travel from Kelowna to Kamloops via Vernon/Falkland/Westwold etc. and 2:36 going through Salmon Arm so it's nowhere near the 1.1.5 hours longer that you're suggesting Gixxer. We missed the turnoff one day and went through Salmon Arm and I was surprised how quickly we got home. Maybe half an hour longer. As gardengirl pointed out it really depends on the road conditions. If there is/has been heavy snow, for example, the Trans-Canada Hwy would normally be cleared much faster than would the route through Falkland and Westwold. Yes, if conditions are ideal it's definitely quicker through Falkland and Westwold (boring though) but nowhere near an hour or an hour and a half more.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Urbane wrote:
    Gixxer wrote:
    gardengirl wrote:
    Gixxer wrote:

Your joking right?

Using the driving times provided by the BC government it takes just under two hours (1:56) to travel from Kelowna to Kamloops via Vernon/Falkland/Westwold etc. and 2:36 going through Salmon Arm so it's nowhere near the 1.1.5 hours longer that you're suggesting Gixxer. We missed the turnoff one day and went through Salmon Arm and I was surprised how quickly we got home. Maybe half an hour longer. As gardengirl pointed out it really depends on the road conditions. If there is/has been heavy snow, for example, the Trans-Canada Hwy would normally be cleared much faster than would the route through Falkland and Westwold. Yes, if conditions are ideal it's definitely quicker through Falkland and Westwold (boring though) but nowhere near an hour or an hour and a half more.

So why do all transport trucks like DCT chambers use the Falkland Route?

You also have to deal with traffic in enderby, and salmon arm.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I travel quite a bit in the winter...trust me...do Vernon way.
It may be a bit more time, but at the end of the day you are home.
It's hard beacause the connecter is 5 min from my house, but I have been trapped.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

Don't take the connector at night in the winter, IMO. The conditions are questionable, the drivers on the roads 75% of the time don't know how to drive in winter conditions and the time you think that you are saving with the several lane highway will actually cost you time. In the winter, go through Falkland. In the summer seasons, the connector is hard to beat late at night. I do not miss the drive mind you!
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Winter condition can be hit and miss best to use Falkland route. I use it year rounded much nicer scenic route.

Return to “B.C.”