Grand Pooh-bah

Re: BC income gap worsens - worst in Canada

Post by Graphite »

Bimbo?
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Life isn't all about money. The more we focus on money and consumerism the more the people with lots of money have us brainwashed. Yes easy to say. But look at everything around you. TV, advertising, malls, stores, etc its all focused on spend spend spend. We are just handing our money away. And wasting our lives doing nothing but slaving away so we can give the money away.

Money only has the value placed on it. Yeah, as a medium of trade its very important. However, how much of your life worth the paper? And how much of the paper is really needed to let you live your life?
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Urbane wrote:You accidentally left out one of the best parts, the part about the growth of incomes overall. That's key.

Nope I left it out because as economists and studies have all shown - most Canadians wages have stayed the same and wages have remained relatively static for 25 years for "the lower/middle class" - but the top earners wages have skyrocketed. You know that 20% of economy that went from the middle class to the top earners over the last 25 years? That would certainly skew the "average" wage numbers.

Not to mention the shrinking benefit, pensions and social services of the same group, which the OECD reports also mentions

If I mentioned the skewing wage numbers, you will just downplay it. Round we go. Also the OECD reports completely contradicts the assertion that rising wages have offset the gap.

I simply said "pick and choose". A study from a 50 year old world economic expert (The U of C isn't even 50 years old - founded in 1966), or a study from the U of C that also does favorable research for the oilsands.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

What is totally misleading is that the "occupy" side's argument always dwells on gross income, rather than after-tax income.

Since income taxes have been all but eliminated for the lower income earners over the last few years, it seems only fair that we compare after-tax incomes in any discussion of the "income gap." That would narrow the "gap" significantly.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
D suzuki
Fledgling

Post by D suzuki »

RichardWede wrote:What is totally misleading is that the "occupy" side's argument always dwells on gross income, rather than after-tax income.

Since income taxes have been all but eliminated for the lower income earners over the last few years, it seems only fair that we compare after-tax incomes in any discussion of the "income gap." That would narrow the "gap" significantly.

but richard, i think to be fair, even if someone agreed with the jist of what your saying, i think the issue still is, even if the lower to middle pay less taxes now, thier wages , have not kept up to the top wage earners pace of growth , plus , everything has increased in price at same time .i think in tough times everyone should have to be lil more wise in how they spend money, but i also think the top dogs should have to pay more to help our country out, and things should be made lil more easier for the bottom income brackets, more than whats going on now , then when times are good for everyone, im all for giving the top earners a better tax rate, who will care , because as long we keep the bottom half rolling along everything will balance out for our country faster.

i think thats what the occupy is really trying to say , if the majority has to suffer in tough times, so do the top earners, and the reason is because , north america , is prolly the best place to live in the world, and why not prevent companies that do not giva flying you know what about our great country set up shop here, i think canadians need to have more pride as a whole about who or what we let operate here, because i think canada will always be ahead of the ball in tough economic times , because of our more or less attitude towards life, meaning us , canadians are not as materialistic as our american buddies down south . anyways thats just my thoughts, nothing more or less
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

The OECD report takes into account after tax income. Infact that is what the report focuses on.

Income, tax policy and how one offsets the other and how better (or worse) things have gotten.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Those people who are really unhappy about the gap between them and those below them should give money to people with less money than themselves. As Andrew Coyne said in a column late last year it's not the very rich that are a concern; it's the very poor. We always give to the Salvation Army and to the food bank etc. I think that's much better than trying to play Robin Hood. I have to agree with Richard, and the study that I posted said basically the same thing, that you can't just look at gross income. You need to look at after tax income. Even so there are those who want to take more from those who have been successful and have earned a lot of money but that doesn't sound fair to me at all.

Why not spend some time not focussing on what you don't have but on what you do have. We live in a great country and a great province and those of us fortunate to live in the Okanagan are particularly fortunate. Why all the focus on material stuff? Most of us are so well off and we should be grateful.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Urbane wrote:You need to look at after tax income.

The OECD study does.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

As far back as I can remember I've heard about the gap between rich and poor. People who fret about it always come up with stats to show how hard done by everyone but the very wealthy are. I agree with Andrew Coyne that the only worry is the gap between the very poor and those above them. We do have a safety net for those on the very bottom but if we need to do more I'm not opposed. Overall though it's pretty hard to justifiably complain about our standard of living. How spoiled are we? If the standard of living stays about the same we cry about it. Meanwhile we're living beyond our means and leaving our kids and grandkids with a mountain of debt.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Urbane wrote: ....those of us fortunate to live in the Okanagan are particularly fortunate.

:coffeecanuck: Don't get oot and aboot much do ya Urbane? ;-)

:bethecoffee:

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

NAB wrote:
    Urbane wrote: ....those of us fortunate to live in the Okanagan are particularly fortunate.

:coffeecanuck: Don't get oot and aboot much do ya Urbane? ;-)

:bethecoffee:

Nab
Actually I do. I really like Vancouver Island. Lots of nice people there but it's a bit too damp for my liking to actually live there. Then there's the ferry. Anyway, I'm happy with my life. I like where I live, I've been married to the same woman since I was 23, I'm not wealthy but I'm happy with the resources that I have, and I often think about what I DO have and think little about what I don't have. It works for me.

By the way, I bet a lot of the people who are fretting about the "income gap" are in favour of the BCTF getting a 15% raise for teachers. But that would further open up the gap between them and those below them. Just depends how you look at it I guess . . .
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Well, after 30 years living in the Okanagan, and our kids leaving after graduation in order to take advantage of better paying career opportunities elsewhere, ...I can honestly say that packing up and leaving (and never looking back or even going back for a visit) has been one of the better decisions during my life.

Besides, it's too hot and dry there in the summer and too cold and snowy during the winter ;-)

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

NAB wrote:Well, after 30 years living in the Okanagan, and our kids leaving after graduation in order to take advantage of better paying career opportunities elsewhere, ...I can honestly say that packing up and leaving (and never looking back or even going back for a visit) has been one of the better decisions of my life.

Besides, it's too hot and dry there in the summer and too cold and snowy during the winter ;-)

Nab
I find some of those on the island to be a bit cranky sometimes though ;-)
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Urbane wrote:
    NAB wrote:Well, after 30 years living in the Okanagan, and our kids leaving after graduation in order to take advantage of better paying career opportunities elsewhere, ...I can honestly say that packing up and leaving (and never looking back or even going back for a visit) has been one of the better decisions of my life.

Nab
I find some of those on the island to be a bit cranky sometimes though ;-)

Nah, not at all. I have to visit here on Castanet in order to find an outlet for my cranky side, developed over too many years in the Okanagan ;-) I'm gradually getting it under control now that I have been away from the Okanagan for almost 10 years now though. Kelowna looks a whole lot different from outside of it, and I often wonder what kept me there for so many years now. It certainly wasn't the money as I could have done a whole lot better elsewhere.

Nab
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NAB wrote: I have to visit here on Castanet in order to find an outlet for my cranky side, developed over too many years in the Okanagan ;-) I'm gradually getting it under control now that I have been away from the Okanagan for almost 10 years now though. Kelowna looks a whole lot different from outside of it, and I often wonder what kept me there for so many years now.

While I'm inclined to agree somewhat with your evaluation of seeing Kelowna in a different light from the outside (I don't regret moving either, although I might consider a quiet spot in the south Okanagan to retire), I have to say I'd sure hate to see what your cranky side was like before you started "getting it under control". :sillygrin:

Return to “B.C.”